Canadian Criminal Check

mtlboi

Hey Everyone...

Just wanted to say how informative this website have been throughout this whole process. My partner went to Australia a month ago, had a job interview, and was hired a couple of days later. So, I am still here in the UK trying to gather all the stuff needed for a defacto partner visa application.

As a Canadian, I need to send in an RCMP criminal records check. They have sent me an email stating that the present processing time is 15 to 16 weeks! I'm glad I foresaw how long it would take and sent my request back in mid-July.... Despite it being 3 months already, my information has yet to be entered in their system.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems?

Thanks!! :biggrin:

Guest Aussie2B
Hey Everyone...

Just wanted to say how informative this website have been throughout this whole process. My partner went to Australia a month ago, had a job interview, and was hired a couple of days later. So, I am still here in the UK trying to gather all the stuff needed for a defacto partner visa application.

As a Canadian, I need to send in an RCMP criminal records check. They have sent me an email stating that the present processing time is 15 to 16 weeks! I'm glad I foresaw how long it would take and sent my request back in mid-July.... Despite it being 3 months already, my information has yet to be entered in their system.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems?

Thanks!! :biggrin:

Hey Mtlboi,

Urgh... I know about the long processing times of the RCMP. I sent my request back in August, but I was under the impression it would take about 10-12 weeks..? That's what it says on their website.. Is it really 15-16 weeks? Did they tell you they haven't entered your info in their system just yet? It's amazing how processing times for police clearances differ per country. I've had to arrange a few since I've lived in several countries over the past 7 years and the other clearances I received pretty quickly. It's just the Canadian one I'm now waiting for, which also means my visa can't be granted until I've received it.

I guess there's nothing we can do but be patient!

Yeah, the website says 10-12 weeks... I posted my fingerprints on July 12th so it's almost been three months. Thought I would share the email they sent me:

Greetings,

At the present time and due to a high volume of requests, it can take 15 to 16 weeks for mailed applications to be received in our system and that is from the time they reach our mail room.

CFSS processes all applications for Criminal Record verification in the order in which they are received.

Based on the information that you have provided, the application in question has not been entered into our system to date. Due to our quality control process, this does not mean that the application has not reached the building, only that it has not yet been entered into our system.

CFSS processes more than 15,000 criminal record searches each month. The processing times for applications will vary depending on whether or not an individuals fingerprints can be associated to a criminal holding maintained by the RCMP. For those that are associated and or a manual review must take place, the process can take in excess of one hundred and twenty (120) days. For those that are not associated the processing time is significantly less. For further information on processing times please visit our website.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr2-eng.htm

Please re-contact us at a later date, at which time we may be in a position to provide further information regarding the status of your request.

Thank you for contacting us,

Anyway, like you said... all we can be is patient.... Wishing you the very best of luck! *fingers crossed*

Guest Aussie2B

Wow... 15-16 weeks it is then. That's soooo long.. I really hope that is actually the max of time it will take and that in reality it's not all of a sudden going to exceed those 16 weeks.

Well, thanks for sharing that email and good luck to you! Please keep me (us) posted on any progress... Would be good to hear when you'll find that certificate from the RCMP (or CFSS?) in your mail box. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

• 4 weeks later...
Wow... 15-16 weeks it is then. That's soooo long.. I really hope that is actually the max of time it will take and that in reality it's not all of a sudden going to exceed those 16 weeks.

Well, thanks for sharing that email and good luck to you! Please keep me (us) posted on any progress... Would be good to hear when you'll find that certificate from the RCMP (or CFSS?) in your mail box. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

Hey Aussie2B, Just thought I'd let you know I got the RCMP check in the post this morning.... Almost 4 months to the day of posting it.. Absolute craziness as the UK one only took a week. Maybe the people at the RCMP should drink less Timmies and work a little more.... LOL...

Hopefully yours comes through soon.... Best of luck!

Guest Aussie2B
Hey Aussie2B, Just thought I'd let you know I got the RCMP check in the post this morning.... Almost 4 months to the day of posting it.. Absolute craziness as the UK one only took a week. Maybe the people at the RCMP should drink less Timmies and work a little more.... LOL...

Hopefully yours comes through soon.... Best of luck!

Hey Mtlboi,

Thanks for letting me know! I was starting to wonder if you had already received your clearance.. Looks like they were correct with their "15/16 weeks" timeframe.. Means I have to wait another 4 weeks or so... Not the end of the world, but you're right - compared to the UK and other countries it's just insane how long it takes them to process such a request!!! WHY???

Good luck with your visa application and hopefully the grant is now not far off!!

Guest Aussie2B
it takes 2-3 days if you're in the system and submit your fingerprints electronically

Yep, I know, but unfortunately the ability to submit fingerprints electronically to the RCMP is not currently available outside Canada. Says so on the website. Would have saved LOADS of time otherwise... urgh.

• 2 months later...
Yep, I know, but unfortunately the ability to submit fingerprints electronically to the RCMP is not currently available outside Canada. Says so on the website. Would have saved LOADS of time otherwise... urgh.

Hey

Aussie2B .. what happened with your RCMP criminal records check ?

I also recently submitted my fingerprints from outside of Canada. on the RCMP site they are quoting 11 weeks for processing, and i am anxious to find out how accurate those numbers are

thanks

Kamalg

• 2 months later...
Guest Rachter

Hi all,

I am also about to submit the request and wanted to ask about the method of payment for the processing fee - I am planning on getting a bank cheque from an Australian bank and seems odd that the only info they give you is to address the cheque to "Receiver General of Canada" and no other info....anyone know if international cheque is acceptable?

on the RCMP website, it quotes 4 weeks for processing but this page was updated last in April 2010

Hi all,

I am also about to submit the request and wanted to ask about the method of payment for the processing fee - I am planning on getting a bank cheque from an Australian bank and seems odd that the only info they give you is to address the cheque to "Receiver General of Canada" and no other info....anyone know if international cheque is acceptable?

on the RCMP website, it quotes 4 weeks for processing but this page was updated last in April 2010

Hey,

I ordered an international bank draft in Canadian dollars and posted it to them with the fingerprints and details. I had my bank make the draft out to "Receiver General of Canada"... The RCMP took 4 months to send me my police clearance!!!! I hope it takes a lot less for you, but be prepared for a long wait.

All the best!

Guest Aussie2B

Hi Rachter,

I actually organized my request from Australia and arranged an international bank draft with Westpac. That was accepted, so you won't have any problem with an Australian bank cheque. Also, the address details are correct - no worries.

Good luck!

Guest Rachter

Thanks both. Got the cheque from westpac this morning and fingerprints done & sent. The express envelope I brought was smaller than the A4 size paper with fingerprints so the police had to fold the paper - hope this isnt going to be an issue as they had instructions to send A4 size envelope, i didnt see such requirements on RCMP web.

Aussie2B - how long did yours take to get back?

mtlboi - when you receive the results back, do you scan that to your CO?

Thanks both. Got the cheque from westpac this morning and fingerprints done & sent. The express envelope I brought was smaller than the A4 size paper with fingerprints so the police had to fold the paper - hope this isnt going to be an issue as they had instructions to send A4 size envelope, i didnt see such requirements on RCMP web.

mtlboi - when you receive the results back, do you scan that to your CO?

Hey,

As mine was a spousal visa, all of my id documents and criminal checks were sent by post. I sent my CO the original after making a copy for myself...

All the best :)

Guest Aussie2B

Mine took about 4 months in total.. It's a long wait compared to other countries, but try not to get too frustrated. Just wait patiently and you'll receive it in the mail after about 15/16 weeks..

• 2 months later...
Guest Sean hena

Hey, may i know how did you apply for the RCMP clearance from Australia...i from Canada,,,since i'm here in Australia i don't know how to get the Police clearance from RCMP....I asked a lot of people...i even went to the police station immigration....no one didn't give the proper information since now....can you please explain to me hoe to get the police clearance from RCMP....

Thank you....!:)

Guest Sean hena

Hey, may i know how did you apply for the RCMP clearance from Australia...i from Canada,,,since i'm here in Australia i don't know how to get the Police clearance from RCMP....I asked a lot of people...i even went to the police station immigration....no one didn't give the proper information since now....can you please explain to me hoe to get the police clearance from RCMP....

I have posted a link for you to the RCMP website. Hope this helps. From looking at the other posts it will take a few months

Cheers

Karen

Guest Sean hena
I have posted a link for you to the RCMP website. Hope this helps. From looking at the other posts it will take a few months

Cheers

Karen

hey Karen i checked that website and i went to the local police station and asked them for the fingerprints they said can't do overseas finger print service.....do you know where i can do the finger print service...my tourist visa is expiring in 3 days...i need to apply for the partner visa before that....thank you...!:)

hey Karen i checked that website and i went to the local police station and asked them for the fingerprints they said can't do overseas finger print service.....do you know where i can do the finger print service...my tourist visa is expiring in 3 days...i need to apply for the partner visa before that....thank you...!:)

Whereabouts are you currently living?

Karen

The only thing I can suggest is to contact NSW police head office and explain what you need and why. Explain that you approached the local station and that they were unable to assist you.

I have included a link for you.

Sorry I can't be of more help and good luck with your visa application.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/

Cheers

Karen

Guest Sean hena
The only thing I can suggest is to contact NSW police head office and explain what you need and why. Explain that you approached the local station and that they were unable to assist you.

I have included a link for you.

Sorry I can't be of more help and good luck with your visa application.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/

Cheers

Karen

that's ok karen...thank you so much!:)

It can take weeks to get a police clearance from the RCMP. However, there are companies based in Canada that will submit your fingerprints electronically to the RCMP for you (right now, this service is only available in Canada) which will get you your police clearance a lot faster (usually 3 days). Have a look:

http://www.reliabilityscreening.com/eng/international_fingerprints.shtml

http://www.fingerscan.ca/2160-2/

Guest Sean hena
It can take weeks to get a police clearance from the RCMP. However, there are companies based in Canada that will submit your fingerprints electronically to the RCMP for you (right now, this service is only available in Canada) which will get you your police clearance a lot faster (usually 3 days). Have a look:

http://www.reliabilityscreening.com/eng/international_fingerprints.shtml

http://www.fingerscan.ca/2160-2/

hey thank you so much that's really helpful....!!:)