register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Optimax71

Cost of giving birth in Oz?!

Guest Optimax71

Hi, I'm new here! My husband and I were/are due to go to Australia in January for him to start work on a 457 visa. We have an 18 month old already and I will be 6 months pregnant when due to fly. The company has said the health insurance they provide for the first 3 months will not cover us for pregnancy and from what we understand about Medicare, that won't either? We are having huge trouble finding real info about the cost, it's very contradictory so far from being , to 5-10K (I've even seen 20k!) in public hospitals alone! I will also be likely to have a c-section following one last time which will probably cost more too! Has anybody been through this and can really advise/point us in the right direction so we can make the right decision about whether we can even afford to go now?! Many many thanks!

Guest Hannah1584

Hya. I am moving out to Aus in november and due to give birth in February. I am coming on a 12 month visitors visa, as my partner is Australian and we have decided to spend 12 months over there.

I was really concerned about having my baby there, thinking i would have to go private, so i contact medicare directly and what told that due to the agreement that the UK has with Australia you are covered for any treatment needed, just not the use of an ambulance, but anything else including c sections ect are covered. when you arrive you just need to provide your passport and you will be fine. http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/travelling/index.jsp

Hope this helps

Thanks

Hannah

Guest Optimax71

Thank you for that. I have emailed medicare and hope they'll advise as it's a different visa we'll be on so fingers crossed!

Guest Optimax71

And good luck to you, hope all goes well!

Guest Hannah1584

i emailed them and got no rsponse, so a aussie friend called them for me, They said it wouldnt matter what visa you were on. the agreement is for all visas. you just need to state that ur pregnant when applying for your visa, which im just waiting back on, as i only applied sunday x

bless you, I also fell preggers on a 457 whilst here and think I went through similar stresses you are having now. Dont fear though, as already stated you can go all out on medicare. You will have to pay for the scans though, although these arent too much but everything else is free.

The only disadvantage is you cant pick/choose your gyno etc.. however having experienced NHS system with first bub this was much much better, I was checked every 4 weeks up until due date with fabulous care.

When you land, go to your nearest medicare office straight away with your visa paperwork. They will then process you and you will get a recripocal card, this will be the number you use for the hospital.

It would also be worth touching base with your nearest hospital before you leave.

good luck.

Guest RichB

Dont worry they will give you 5 grand, paid maternity leave and even roll the red carpet out upon your arrival..

Guest MM2Melb

You will also find some answers about this on the other thread you started in September ;-)

Guest Pete the Feet

The lady next door had a baby and it was 7 ponds which I thought was very cheap.

Dont worry they will give you 5 grand, paid maternity leave and even roll the red carpet out upon your arrival..!

erm no they dont on a 457!

Guest westozlou

Hi,

I wouldn't worry. I've been here for a year on 457 and now am also pregnant. I am giving birth at the local hospital where I work and also having c section as public patient. You pay for your scans and the system is slightly different that you get a dating scan here and then a 20wk scan or you can pay $200 to get the 12 week scan and nuchal fold test done. Good luck and hope you have a healthy pregnancy x

I came out on a 457 3 years ago and after arriving a fair few weeks later found I was pregnant, like other said we paid for the first scan then all other scans for us were at teh hospital due to baby health concerns - we had weekly scans and even an mri on bub while inside me and all was covered on my reciprocal medicare card.

I have sicnce had a 2nd child and was lucky to be selected for the Birth centre at Royal womens hospital at brisbane. I had a water birth and a fantastic team of midwives. All again on the medicare cover. I went to a bulk billing scanning centre this time so medicare again covered the scans.

With the first baby complications during pregnancy i'm very grateful that medicare was available to me :) I worried so bad when i first found i was pregnant being on the 457 knowing what i wasnt entitled to etc i didnt think for a second they would cover having a baby until i looked more into it.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck with it all :)

Edit: first bub born 100% healthy even after all the worrying cocerns off docs and numerous scans we had - keep you on your toes thats for sure

JO - Mummy of 4 & Wife to Garath - On a 457 since Oct 2008 - Garath Electrician - Applied for 856 - Nom & App (non DRC) submitted 18/05 (parramatta) Acknowledged 23/5 - Payment 01/06 - News of Case officer allocated 15/12 ...GRANTED 30/12