Guest guest59177

Emirates vs. Etihaad vs. Qatar Airways

Guest guest59177

Is someone here widely travelled enough to compare these three airlines? I am specially interested in reviews from single, adult travellers who don't have to mind kids. Even if you haven't travelled all three, feel free to chip in with whatever you have. I'll try to consolidate all the reviews so we have a clearer picture.

Guest guest59652

Have only travelled Etihad - very good, lots of leg room, and really great experience.

Cannot compare with other two from own experience. But all 3 were similarly priced. Asked the travel representative at an excellent travel agent who had flown with all 3. Said all very wealthy airlines, all 4/5 star airlines. They said would happily fly any. All 3 were same price range - I went Etihad as time was more convenient.

Can't be any more specific but I rated Etihad.

I have flown across here BA/Qantas = ok

Cathay Pacific = excellent - the best flight I have had.

Etihad = excellent - not quite as good as Cathay as loved Honk Kong airport - not so keen on Abi Dhabi.

Singapore airlines = good / Singapore airport phenomenal / airlines pretty good.

Can't go wrong with any of them - I love flying and I'm an aviation enthusiast so the airports and the flight is a great experience.

Have flown both Ethiad and Emirates a number of times. Both very good and very similar experience. The food and service was excellent much better than BA and Qantas. Abu Dhabi airport is rubbish though - nothing at all there to do! Very small.

Becky

Dyslexia NSW www.dyslexia-nsw.com.au

I flew with Qatar on a flight to Vietnam. They were far and away (scuse the pun!) the best airline I've ever flown with. If transiting through Doha and have time, book yourself into the lounge - it is amazing!

The food was excellent, in-flight entertainment was varied and worked perfectly, the cabin crew were extremely efficient and friendly and the legroom was pretty good too.

I've also flown Emirates who, I have to say, come a close second.

Can someone explain how the non reclinable seats work on Cathay Pacific (what planes do they use?). Do you sit bolt upright for the whole journey - doesn't sound comfy to me. Cheers

Guest luckylady
Can someone explain how the non reclinable seats work on Cathay Pacific (what planes do they use?). Do you sit bolt upright for the whole journey - doesn't sound comfy to me. Cheers

Hi - Your chair "seat" sort of slides forward, so you are actually in a reclined position. You are not bolt upright the whole flight. To begin with I found this more comfortable, but after 20 plus hours I ached the same as a normal reclining seat!!

The advantage is the seats dont recline into the lap of the person behind you, so you don't cramp their space and the person in front of you doesn't cramp yours.

I'm not sure how well this works with taller people, I am only 5 ft, so dont have the leg room problem anyway!!

Hope this helps

Guest luckylady

I have flown to Oz 5 times now, and the best flight I have had was with Emirates. They were far superior in customer service than anyone else. The other advantage I found was our flight was a 2 stop flight. This I found was much better for the jet lag, as you have chance to get off, clean up, grab a bite to eat if you want, stretch your legs etc. Obviously if your connecting flights have a long layover this might not be the way to go.

Dubai airport is massive, and very busy, but its an experience to go there.

Both Malaysia & Cathay were also good, but didn't have such a good experience with BA / Qantas.

Sorry I cant coment on Qatar or Etihad

Cheers for that. I've flown there twice; once with emirates and once with BA who were both OK although we had problems with the in flight entertainment both times. We won't ever travel without cellotape for repairing our headphones in our handluggage again. I've heard some good reports about Cathay Pacific and they are almost £600 cheaper so I thought it would be worth a look. I'm a bit vertically challenged too (5'2") so leg room isn't a problem for me but I found the journey to be a real slog, let alone doing it all completely upright, so needing to recline is a must for me and me poor old aching bones! The advantage of not having the person in front in your lap is also not to be ignored I guess!! Cheers

Guest AndyH78

Has anyone used Air Asia?

Doing some scans on skyscanner.net and the invariably come up far cheaper than anyone else.

Air Asia are essentially Ryan air, By the time you have bought for and drinks and tried to entertain yourself for 24hrs that £100 quid you saved will seem like 20p!! I would recommend Qatar to anyone and am flying etihad for the first time at the end of the month. All of the middle eastern carriers are much of a muchness IMO go for the shortest transfer times/cheapest.

Guest jimmyblogs

Rebrol is spot on. Can't fault emirates or qatar. Not sure about etihad...

My hubby flew Etihad just the other day and liked them - BUT he did say the legroom wasn't as good as some other airlines (he's 6ft2).

They also had a hideous flight from Abu Dhabi to Melbourne - due to land smack bang in the middle of the storm on Wednesday night! They suffered major turbulence (people chucking up all over the shot) and ended up diverted to Adelaide. Eventually landed in Melbourne at 00:48 instead of 19:20.

Only reason I mention this, is that he had nothing but compliments to say about the air-crew and how the staff handled all the additional stress :) Although he did say that the inflight announcements weren't as clear (in English) as the other airlines we've flown.

He said the inflight entertainment was good, food and service was on a par with Emirates. He particularly liked that it was only a 2hour break between flights in Abu Dhabi, but hasn't mentioned the airport.

Would wake him up to ask, but might get strangled.....

Sorry neither of us have flown Qatar :)

And remember - don't think just flight costs, if a carrier doesn't include EVERYTHING on the plane it's too much of a pain in the butt. 24hours is a long time, and you don't want to be counting the pennies while in the air.

Jo (Aussie), Jon (Pom on a 100 visa), Satch (the gorgeous viscous labrador) have now been joined by Siena Rose.

Does anyone have a spare instruction manual for a baby girl?