Pets - Quarantine/Transport Procedures

Guest Daceys

Guest Daceys

Hi Everyone

Can anyone give advice on taking pets to Oz? We are applying for a Skilled Visa and are about to send our references to the TRA.

We have a 2 year old dog and are wondering whether to leave him with family or take him.

Guest Boomer

He/She is your family!!! I hope mine don't bugger off and leave me with the oldies / coffin dodgers

Whatever it costs it is worth it!!! Dogs rule

Boomer

Guest SarahandStu

Thanks for the link, it will come in useful for us.

I totally agree with Boomer, our cat is coming out with us (providing we get accepted that is) a price well worth it!

Guest ironmaggi

Mine will too - my Mum's offered but there's no way I'd consider it. I'm just worried that the quarantine is in Sydney but we'd [hopefully] be in Brisbane - I'd have liked to see her most days as she's never been alone / without a friendly face for more than 2 days! spoilt I know [you should see her waistline!]

Guest polarbear23

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a move to Melbourne for a minimum of two years.

We looked at the website above and found it really helpful to learn how we could get our two (also pampered) kittys out there.

You might want to check out:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/

and register your pet on the pet travel scheme in case you want to come back! The good news is that by following the DEFRA guidelines there won't be any quarantine requirements if you ever wanted to return to the UK.

• 3 months later...
Guest Alison1967

My friend used Golden Arrow Tel. 01 588 680 240 (chris sorenson) to export her two cats and couldn't fault them. they are based in shropshire and will collect or even arrange a mid way pick up.

He was great sending lots of info and if we are lucky and get to go next year we will definitely be using him. he sorts out the parmits and stuff.

They have personally been out to all three quarantine stations and can advice on the care and standard s of the stations. My cat holly wil have to go to the station in melbourne and then be flown to adelaide where we will pick her up so i uunderstand your concerns. :) Alison

• 3 years later...

hi there , we brought our dog to perth in march, we used golden arrow shippers .. google them , they were fantastic.

jack was in quarantine in byford for 4 weeks( you can google .. byford quarantine, nettleton rd wa) and he came out looking amazeing the thing you have to remeber that the quarantine here is goverment run so they are not some shoddy holes they are brilliant and i cannot fault the staff at byford wa..

we also used www.dogwalks.com.au at the time as we were not in australia for 3 weeks and they went in to see jack give him a tuss and treats , its a personnal thing wether you use them again they were brilliant and i would use that company again too, some on here dissagree for us it was worth it and compared to the cost of bringing our dog over it was nothing, the web site is very imfoirmative even if you don't use the company.

golden arrow sort everything bar the bloods, your own vets do these so check to see if they are able as well.. not all deal with pet export and passports, also if you have enough time i would consider making sure your animals have the pet passport as well, not to be a doomer but never say never , they have to stay in quarantine 6 months without it should you return or do the quarantine whilst living in australia before they fly back! .. if i can help please pm..also check re your vaccinations as they will leave the lepto of the annual booster before you ship the dog..

hi there , we brought our dog to perth in march, we used golden arrow shippers .. google them , they were fantastic.

jack was in quarantine in byford for 4 weeks( you can google .. byford quarantine, nettleton rd wa) and he came out looking amazeing the thing you have to remeber that the quarantine here is goverment run so they are not some shoddy holes they are brilliant and i cannot fault the staff at byford wa..

we also used www.dogwalks.com.au at the time as we were not in australia for 3 weeks and they went in to see jack give him a tuss and treats , its a personnal thing wether you use them again they were brilliant and i would use that company again too, some on here dissagree for us it was worth it and compared to the cost of bringing our dog over it was nothing, the web site is very imfoirmative even if you don't use the company.

golden arrow sort everything bar the bloods, your own vets do these so check to see if they are able as well.. not all deal with pet export and passports, also if you have enough time i would consider making sure your animals have the pet passport as well, not to be a doomer but never say never , they have to stay in quarantine 6 months without it should you return or do the quarantine whilst living in australia before they fly back! .. if i can help please pm..also check re your vaccinations as they will leave the lepto of the annual booster before you ship the dog..

Shaz youve caught my disease regardin typo (gets to us all) we used petair gold service they were brilliant same price as golden arrow but a more comprehensive service . Byford nick is ok but my mutt had a hard time but he had only been in kennels once in 10 years and had a bad time there ,think he saw it the same . ONly fault I could say was that they never told us he had a bad time ie not comin out of his pen ( I could have sorted it by bringing a ball believe it or not ) but hes hee fine apart for red paws syndrome . he has nasty sore paws ( must be summat down here cos at Clarkson he was fine

my baby is in byford (perth) right now :( but im visiting tomorrow - fingers crossed she is ok

Emma

x

Due to work and visiting hours clashing we decided not to visit him , think he would have been totally confused with the situation as we could only go once

Due to work and visiting hours clashing we decided not to visit him , think he would have been totally confused with the situation as we could only go once

we feel the same way Mally esp as until yesterday as i had never drove an auto car so i was relying on hubs driving me there but he works full time so that was diff. As is happens hubs is ill (flu + very bed jet lag = not pretty lol) so i had to drive yesterday,now i feel fine driving to visit her. I cant wait but i know i will cry like i big girl, cant stand the thought of leaving her there but i need to see that she got throught he flight ok x

Emma

x

We used pets on t he move for our cat, they sorted out all the paper work, collected the cat from our home and took her to the airport. The quarantine station as Byford gets booked up pretty quickly so do plan ahead, our cat looked extreamly well cared for when we picked her up.

Ali

We used pets on t he move for our cat, they sorted out all the paper work, collected the cat from our home and took her to the airport. The quarantine station as Byford gets booked up pretty quickly so do plan ahead, our cat looked extreamly well cared for when we picked her up.

Ali

exreamly lol:biglaugh: its catchin

Guest Tracy1
If you dont visit your dogs.hope you know they will not get walked.

Im sure someone said you could pay for a dog walking service a couple of times a week. Does anyone know as my dog will be in quarantine in Sydney and he cant stay cooped up in a kennel for a month its cruel. Dont they even let them have a run around a field or something? Now I'm really worried:sad::sad:

Guest peteandnikki

Hi just done it, if I can help just let me know, but for a lab £3500 vet fees, airfees injections, crate etc, and your without your pet for a month, but worth it, after all they are part of the family regards pete

• 4 months later...
Guest bevyevy

hi just moved to oz 2 months left my dog behind with a friend now wish i had not miss a lot more than i thought i would anybody know i would arrange things from this side to bring her over we are in the sydney area any advice or info would be great

thanks evelyn

Guest peteandnikki

Hi try hanrob at engadine ( I think thats how you spell it) just google it, they are south west of sydney, or any of the UK animal care exporters, let me know if you need detailed information regards pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we are using Golden Arrow shippers for our cats. They came recommended on PIO.

They rang us yesterday to say they have the export permits for our cats so all stations go.

We fly out on February 14th with Singapore Airlines. Cant wait - shacked up with the inlaws at the moment for Chrimbo as moved out of our house last Friday, cats and all.:arghh:

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi Debs, Glad to hear you are escaping like us. We are going on 20th Feb to Melbourne and our cats are flying 26th Jan with PetairUk. We also are going to fly Singapore, and stay 3 nights stopover there.

Julie x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jbro31

We used Golden Arrow for our 2 GSD's and siamese cat (who is now 11 bless him). We came out last January when the temps in Sydney were 40 degrees, so with us in Brisbane and them down there... cant' recommend GA enough they were brilliant. The dogs lost a bit of weight due to the heat but they were fine. They have not spent a lot of time in kennels but the handlers knew what to do with them. They have staff who you are given their mobiles so you can talk to them everyday if you wish (this is at quarantine stations) who are in charge of your pets (we had two, one for dogs one for the cat). This lady was buying in cat foot for my cat as he has poorly gums and needs wet food (which was all stipulated but never seemed to get through so we had a bit of a hiccough at the begnining which him losing weight not eating and needing to see a vet, had they done as they were told none of which would have been necessary). Anyway the english vet was fab there knew his stuff about his condition and was really good. Cat was fine and this lady (a volunteer) bought the food for him (which I paid her back online) and took loads of piccies of my pets and emailed them back to me as we couldnt' visit down there. We used Dogtainers to ship them from sydney to Brisbane and they were brill too, they sort everything out for you. Can't tell you how happy I was (and my animals) when our eyes met at the airport..... they were so pleased to be back with us and I have no regrets. Yes it costs money but they are my family and even my old siamese handled things with his condition. They are settled here, siamese loves the weather!!!! Dogs love the sea.

One tip make sure your pets are chipped before hand and all desexed with a letter or proof from your vet as such as you will need this information when you get there for their registrations, one of my vets charged me the cheeky ****e for a letter to prove my bitch was desexed after all the money I'd spent on the shipping process.....

Guest dermedicus

Christine at White House Kennel's and Cattery is super and has handled our dog's migration to Australia. I cannot recommend her and her company enough.

Archived