You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Perthbum

Brits amongst the most polite in the world.

Nice to have a bit of nice things said about the UK instead of the usual hate-fest in the media around the world.

Broken Britain? Rude Britannia? Not according to the researchers who have produced the Charm Offensive – a study of British people in their everyday lives that showed our society is among the most polite and civil in the world, casual aggression and racism is on the decline and huge value is placed on a smile from a stranger or a small act of kindness.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/oct/09/politeness-good-manners-english

I actually agree, afetr living in Oz and visiting many Countries I do think on the whole that Brits are the most polite and friendly people in the world, especially up North.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

I remember watching a program on the Korean war, and an Britsh company were surounded and overrun by North Koreans, and effectively being slaughtered.

The US army contacted them to find out what the situation was, and the British let them know they were 'in a spot of bother'. The US took this to mean that they were under fire but holding their own, so they didn't send reinforcements.

I tried to find a link to this but I couldn't.

I remember when I was in New York for a while living I was amazed at the lack of eye contact when out and about. Everyone seemed to walk the streets looking down at the sidewalk or avoiding looking at anyone else. And if you did happen to make eye contact or dared smile at someone, they almost seemed to veer away from you.

Only when you walked into a store or something did people then actually seem to want to look you full on in the face.

I soon adapted but found it very insular and it was a stark difference to what I was used to.

I think the Brits do tend to do small talk, general good manners and etiquette well. Perhaps the etiquette I am familiar with is not so common in the younger generation but I like to think its still there somewhere. Mind you, I see pensioners being as rude as a teenagers and adults so I figure it boils down to the person. I've had good manners instilled in me since I was a kid and would always give up my seat on a bus or train, hold open a door and so on. Although I do find that less and less do people ever thank you for holding a door open or clearly moving out of their way when in fact they were the obstruction and needed to move or some such.

We are also the masters of understatement in situations. I always find this a perculiarly British thing. Monty Python springs to mind every time, "It's only a flesh wound" as his arms are chopped off :laugh:

I remember when we were in Florida I said thankyou twice to a checkout lady and she remarked that I didn't need to do it and asked why I did. I said that it was because I was English and it's just what we do. I also said that we say sorry a lot. She thought it very quaint. I always make an effort to wave at drivers who let me out of spaces or wait whilst I pass through. I think it's important and I'm proud of it.

I also remember when the kids were younger that a shopkeeper said that it was lovely that they said please and thankyou and so many others didn't. I said it was simple: don't say please you don't get, and don't say thankyou and whatever it is gets taken off you. Mega tantrums when they were toddlers, but it became habit very quickly - especially where sweets were involved!

Hello, Goodbye, Please and Thank you - I believe are the most powerful words in the English language as they are what we are remembered for (manners), of all of the people from our neck of the woods during my time here they have all been extremely polite with no exceptions.

good manners cost nothing but bad manners are remembered so its good to read some good news about manners

Nice to have a bit of nice things said about the UK instead of the usual hate-fest in the media around the world.

Broken Britain? Rude Britannia? Not according to the researchers who have produced the Charm Offensive – a study of British people in their everyday lives that showed our society is among the most polite and civil in the world, casual aggression and racism is on the decline and huge value is placed on a smile from a stranger or a small act of kindness.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/oct/09/politeness-good-manners-english

I actually agree, afetr living in Oz and visiting many Countries I do think on the whole that Brits are the most polite and friendly people in the world, especially up North.

Bah gumm, lad...Bloomin' good job yer said 'oop north'...:policeman: 'Cos t'sutherners wor' the wurst of all when I wor' there in 1967...

Cheers, Bobj.

Bah gumm, lad...Bloomin' good job yer said 'oop north'...:policeman: 'Cos t'sutherners wor' the wurst of all when I wor' there in 1967...

Cheers, Bobj.

Funny how brits both say sorry at the same if they bump into each other :laugh: when I was in New York and someone bumped into me the person would grunt or say something rude.

And we are the only Country I have been to where people l actually queue and wait their turn.:cute:

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Call me old fashioned, but I think good manners are a nice thing...

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

I remember a joke about 'The English Civil War' where all the combatants were being polite to each other - 'No, I insist, YOU go first.'

As a dual American/British citizen, I would agree but only once you go up North. Otherwise, it was some of the rudest people on Earth. In the States it is the Southerners that are more polite where the Northerners are usually horrible.

The Aussie's I have met in Brisbane are so nice in person and so sweet but utter jerks in their cars.

Guest Andy

I think pablo may have a stalker :policeman:

Guest guest59177
I think pablo may have a stalker :policeman:

As in 'Jack and the Bean Stalk'??? :biglaugh:

When you really think about it, when they are in Australia, Brits are amongst the most polite people in the world...:tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

I agree actually! I quickly noticed in Aus that 9/10 people wouldn't say thanks/sorry if I held the door open for them or bumped into someone where as when I've done it back home people would! But more people say hello/good morning over here! Bizarre!