register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest JimandDanielle

High School History Teacher.

Guest JimandDanielle

Hi all, are there any History teachers out there or anyone working in a school who knows a little about History as a subject in Oz? My family is currently going through the application process for a move to OZ, but I was wondering how my subject is taught in Australian schools at the moment. Is it like the US system whereby they have a catch-all 'social studies' lesson, or is there a specific 'History' lesson? I believe that it's changing soon (or has just changed?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest roaminnomore

Hi there, not a teacher and still learning how the education system ticks over here!!! My eldest two are at Grovedale (Grovedale, Geelong, VIC). They do not have a history lesson as such, rather a combined History and Georgraphy - called 'Humanities. They seem to like the style/lesson more than in the UK as one of them is better at History and the other at Geography and, in young adult methodology, they do not have to sit through a complete bore or a lesson!!!

The VIC Government website (education) explains the system well and gives contact details of schools, you may want to give one of them a call and ask their advice, they are a pretty friendly bunch over this way and may help you out.

Best of luck Leila x

They are starting to introduce a National Curriculum, however its only just being rolled out, or is about to be, so you could look into that, but afaik the different states are very different (they certainly are from a teacher registration point of view lol), so if you know where you are heading it might be different there from elsewhere maybe? Just a thought :)

I have seen jobs come up for 'History' 'Geography', 'Humanities','Social Sciences', all sorts really, in the TES, so it seems to vary (Sorry, I'm either ICT Secondary, Primary or Special Needs, so not really paid attention to it in too much detail). Keep an eye on the TES for ideas, and contact the Teachers Registration Board for the state/s you are interested in maybe?

Good luck :)

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.