FIFO- what's it like?

chiara

Hi

I see several threads about what FIFO is like for the wives at home, but nothing about what it is like for the men. My husband is heading off in a week or so, we're staying in Ireland until after Christmas, but he has no idea what he's heading into.

Basic questions: what is the accommodation like (we still don't know which project he's on so I can only expect general answers), does he get his own room? What are the facilities like? Can they have a beer? It's coming up to his birthday and I wanted to get him something like a PSP because I'm not sure he'll have anything to do in the evenings -- am I worrying unnecessarily?

It's bad enough leaving us all behind, without going into something bleak so it would be good to hear some good stories (but the bad also).

Thanks

ALL sites are different. He will have his own room, called a Donga, some sites 'hotel' that is he empties his room each r&r and it is given to some else and he gets a different room on his return to site. Some have ensuites some don't. Most are single storey but they have started to double them up. Most camps have a wet mess and most now only sell mid strength beer.

By the time he finishes work, showers and has his dinner he'll be ready for ready for his bed.

Thanks tisme, sounds a bit depressing! Are the hours particularly long?

Usually 10-12 hours a shift

I'd suggest he take a lap top and when he finds out where he's going to ask them about internet service availabilty in the area, it will be easy then for him to keep in touch with family and friends, maybe using Skype, he won't feel so isolated.

• 9 months later...
Guest Longdog

The dongers vary but basically they are porta-cabins. most have communal washing facilities and a communal room with a tv, fridge, microwave ect.. Most rooms have their own small tv. A tip from me is, if you are taking alaptop with an internet dongle check the coverage, most mines are in the middle of nowhere and its a bit hit and miss wether you get a signal. Friends I know have done fifo for a few months to get themselves out of a financial situation but wouldn't do it otherwise.

Guest MM Marc

As others have said it depends on what and where you are flying into. However communication is very important incase you get a bid fed up it will happen to anyone who does FIFO at some point.

The Telstra Next G network is the most common network I have found on mine sites. And any outback town (Get him to ask in advance).

Laptop, Network cable (some dongers have sockets), Telstra Dongle (sometimes your too far from the WiFi) Nightshift might of covered the windows with tinfoil to keep out the light & the voices.....opening the door might fix this.

Make sure you get on the airplane (missing Fly In part is the cardinal sin)

He should be met by a supervisor or somone with half an idea at the airport at the other end, (If there`s dirt strip, No Managers, a rusty old bus with drawn windows and nothing else your @Tanami Gold)

After arriving at camp you will be taken to reception to get your room key and maybe a map of the camp (wet mess, dry mess, Gym, Laundry etc)

If the room is vacant you will go there to dump your gear. Otherwise take it to a locker room untill later. You might now be abandoned like a fragile lost puppy in a scary new world or you could be straight off to inductions and work.

Dongers vary as mentioned from a single bed, a fridge and shelf plus two light bulbs with some orange stained vinyl flooring to much larger more homely versions with the corner cut out of the room with an onsuite shower in there. If you get a nice one it is a bit like a small hotel room if it is a bit rough you`ll spend less time in your room. Leave the fan on in the onsuite to keep if smelling sweet and leave the A/C on so that its cool when you return. FMG New Camp

He will likely be given an overwhelming amount of information during inductions most of which won`t be essential to his immediate survival. He will need his driving license to prove he can drive if he is going to be given a vehicle onsite (some places don`t bother too much though). 12 hour night/day shifts might take while a bit of getting used to and tempers wear thin with heat and tiredness. Stay hydrated, he will need his own water bottle (google willow alpine jug get 10 litres) some sites may provide one but check. You can fill them 50:50 with ice and water in the ice rooms in camp or on site.

I personally spent 1 year working as a short contract FIFO Surveyor (3 days here 3 weeks there) and loved it. Hopefully in a 1 or 2 months I will be back there racking up the airmiles again wooohooo.

Hi

I see several threads about what FIFO is like for the wives at home, but nothing about what it is like for the men. My husband is heading off in a week or so, we're staying in Ireland until after Christmas, but he has no idea what he's heading into.

Basic questions: what is the accommodation like (we still don't know which project he's on so I can only expect general answers), does he get his own room? What are the facilities like? Can they have a beer? It's coming up to his birthday and I wanted to get him something like a PSP because I'm not sure he'll have anything to do in the evenings -- am I worrying unnecessarily?

It's bad enough leaving us all behind, without going into something bleak so it would be good to hear some good stories (but the bad also).

Thanks

I put a bit on Staceys thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Im 25 and love FIFO!!

The food is awesome, i have been to various sites and they have all had HUGE varieties. Its so tempting to stuff your face every day and pile on the pounts, Pretty good as i am a bad cook. However the On site gym facilities include a upto date gym with bench presses, treadmills and cross trainers, lots of machines and free weights and also classes such as boxing, boot camp, soccer, cricket, ping pong. If gives people the chance to keep up with a good diet and stay fit.

Some camps have quiz nights on certain days.

Although camps will be different and vary from one another, the accomodation is pretty good. Own room with ensuite, fridge, Small TV, Internet connection.

Definitly recommend to get a laptop or a PSP or something, to keep you sane and able to keep up-to date on the internet with the news ect.

The wetmess onsite sells mid strength beers and normally opens till around 8-9pm.

I would imagine it to be tough for couples as some stints - 4:1 would be pretty intense without seeing eachother for so long. Skype is a good way to keep in touch with family and friends.

I Fly back up on monday and cant wait. Healthy eating and working out + a huge paycheck after the 4 weeks!

Im 25 and love FIFO!!

The food is awesome, i have been to various sites and they have all had HUGE varieties. Its so tempting to stuff your face every day and pile on the pounts, Pretty good as i am a bad cook. However the On site gym facilities include a upto date gym with bench presses, treadmills and cross trainers, lots of machines and free weights and also classes such as boxing, boot camp, soccer, cricket, ping pong. If gives people the chance to keep up with a good diet and stay fit.

Some camps have quiz nights on certain days.

Although camps will be different and vary from one another, the accomodation is pretty good. Own room with ensuite, fridge, Small TV, Internet connection.

Definitly recommend to get a laptop or a PSP or something, to keep you sane and able to keep up-to date on the internet with the news ect.

The wetmess onsite sells mid strength beers and normally opens till around 8-9pm.

I would imagine it to be tough for couples as some stints - 4:1 would be pretty intense without seeing eachother for so long. Skype is a good way to keep in touch with family and friends.

I Fly back up on monday and cant wait. Healthy eating and working out + a huge paycheck after the 4 weeks!

Good post!! I can see why a single guy would like it! Do you not feel too tired to use the gym? Dave wants to use the gym here but after a 12hour shift and then travelling home and walking the dogs again he just doesnt have time, i would imagine he'd probably be too tired to use it over there too

Good post!! I can see why a single guy would like it! Do you not feel too tired to use the gym? Dave wants to use the gym here but after a 12hour shift and then travelling home and walking the dogs again he just doesnt have time, i would imagine he'd probably be too tired to use it over there too

I work 10hr days on a 4:1 and you kind of adapt to it. There is a saying people use alot its something like 'if your going the gym you havent worked hard enough'

For a young lad its good but i cant see the point, why work away in Oz and pay loads of tax.

Why not work away from the Uk and not pay tax then go to Oz on holiday say every 6 weeks for 2 weeks?

FIFO wages arent that good compared to jobs (for eg - woodside) in Perth.

Saying that - no doubt i will have to do it at some point:cry: 2 weeks on and a week off aisnt a killer.

For a young lad its good but i cant see the point, why work away in Oz and pay loads of tax.

Why not work away from the Uk and not pay tax then go to Oz on holiday say every 6 weeks for 2 weeks?

FIFO wages arent that good compared to jobs (for eg - woodside) in Perth.

Saying that - no doubt i will have to do it at some point:cry: 2 weeks on and a week off aisnt a killer.

Didnt VERYSTORMY say there was only certain occupations that could do FIFO from the UK? Anyway, maybe he would rather live in australia and spend his time off there. It sounds quite a good opportunity for a guy in his situation with no OH or kids

I work 10hr days on a 4:1 and you kind of adapt to it. There is a saying people use alot its something like 'if your going the gym you havent worked hard enough'

So does the hours just depend on the camp or are all 4;1 rosters set at a 10 hour day? the job my OH went for is for a 4:1 roster but we're not sure that the shifts would be yet. He does 12hour shifts here in scotland

So does the hours just depend on the camp or are all 4;1 rosters set at a 10 hour day? the job my OH went for is for a 4:1 roster but we're not sure that the shifts would be yet. He does 12hour shifts here in scotland

I Do 10.5hr days, on a 13 day fortnight. I would Contact them and find out

Guest pa bear

past my medical last week so hopefully will be headin for gorgon project soon wat do i pack if u are only allowed 10kg on fifo never did this before

past my medical last week so hopefully will be headin for gorgon project soon wat do i pack if u are only allowed 10kg on fifo never did this before

Probably not many clothes as they'll have laundry services obv. i also heard that toiletries are expensive up there so might want to pack a few that you get on special offer from the supermarket. Daylpool will be able to tell you more

After you intitial mobilisation flight, there isn't much you will need to take back and fore on the flight. You will leave your clothes, toiletries etc on site when you go on your break. If the site 'hotels' then you are quite often given a locker to store your things whilst on break. You won't need a lot on site anyway, if your not at work you'll be sleeping, :smile:

Guest Corkgal

Hey.

Really found this site interesting and helpful.We are heading to Perth on a 457 visa in Sept . O/H is heading to the mines. Can anyone tell me if they hire female security there as this is what i have experience in, need to get my Security Cert and license in oz first but i'd like to try the mines?? Any one know of any couples that work in the same site??? All advice greatly appreciated.

Hey.

Really found this site interesting and helpful.We are heading to Perth on a 457 visa in Sept . O/H is heading to the mines. Can anyone tell me if they hire female security there as this is what i have experience in, need to get my Security Cert and license in oz first but i'd like to try the mines?? Any one know of any couples that work in the same site??? All advice greatly appreciated.

Yes they hire females as security officers. Try http://www.globalsec.com.au/ http://careers.compass-group.com.au/jobDetails.asp?sJobIDs=493999 http://www.epsecurity.com.au/

Edited by tisme

Guest bowow2011

My hubby just takes clothes for RDO's (rotered days off) just casual clothes, nice shirt if your going out to the pub or restaurant, toiletries, some hubby has a portable DVD player and t.v a few personal items :-)