Mature Students!

emmaroo

As you may know I have decided to move back to Edinburgh next year and so I thought why not do something that I could not do when I was with my ex.

So, I am going to go back to studying... I am going to do a college course that will hopefully then allow me to get into the 2nd year of a degree!!:swoon:

Has anyone else gone back to studying later in life and can you offer any advice?

Thanks

Emma

Hey Emmaroo,

I am just starting the 2nd year of my degree and at 40 years old it is a lot to juggle, family, work and study, but it is also very exciting to know that in 2 years I will be a qualified psychiatric nurse and able to go out and hopefully get some satisfaction in doing a job that will be demanding but rewarding. This is actually my 3rd year of learning as I to did a college course to enable me to get a place at Uni. It is great for my kids to see me working for something and hopefully teach them to knuckle down harder at school (unlike their mother at their age) and get their qualifications at a younger age. The only advice I can give is GO FOR IT.......you are never to old there are woman on my course closer to 50 and are going to make fab nurses...life experience and all that.

I wish you all the luck in the world in the new chapter in the book of life. :yellow_guy_smiling_

Hi

I'm an Aussie and I've gone back to uni. I'm 40 years old and about to finish my first year - it's been great and there are quite a few people around my age. I'm really glad that I did it even though it's obviously a very expensive decision with loss of income etc.

Best wishes

Guest MM2Melb

Hey Emma,

I went back as a mature student in Australia to do postgrad study in a new field in my late 20s. Was brilliant to do it, I find my work really exciting and interesting now.

I have a friend here in Edinburgh who just did an access course last year and has started 1st year at Edinburgh uni now, she is also loving it.

I think going back you tend to put more pressure on yourself so suffer more stress but also do better and even learn more than younger students generally.

I don't know about getting entry into second year, definitely find out from the uni course leader.

Is a great time to be a Scottish student studying in Scotland, fees are still v low in comparison with everywhere!