Sydney's hard yakka and coke is $3 a can!

kasper5

I bought a small bag of carrots in Coles @ Surry Hills Shopping Village today for $1.00 (I"ll give you one dollar, I want it, you've got to be joking man, it was a present from my mother?)

More interestingly, I calculated that a case of 24 Henninger beers for $33.99 in Liquorland works out about $1.40 or less for each bottle, compared to paying $5 each in the pub.

PS ever since someone criticised (criticiZed?) my grammar, I've got to go back thru - no, NO, NO - you are NOT in the US of A now - all my posts and correct them. In this case, a 'comma' after 'interestingly', followed by 'I' before 'calculated.'

I am grateful, in a way, for the criticism because I can unleash my secret pedant.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liquorland is part of Coles I think. The discounts on buying in bulk are frghtening. It makes you wonder why work groups don't just buy a few cases and head down to the nearest park or beach (as long as they allow alcohol consumption.) If you are not particular, it's always worth asking 'what the daily special is?' At the pub too. The Trinity Bar on Thursdays has schooners of Carlton for $4.

Of course, we can't just pop over to France and come back with a year's supply of fags and beer here mind? I remember seeing a car in Dover once, it was so over-laden, its wheels were almost horizontal!

Guest The Pom Queen
No! Just spend $10 per bottle of beer instead! Tut

Can you ask Paul to put a google map up of where you are then we can track you going around Oz (not that I'm being nosey or anything, honest:unsure:)

I think it varies slightly from place to place a little (state to state) and with the age of the person (ie for under 16 year olds etc), but the least I've heard it be is $14 which would be around £9.33, however I think that was for 14 year olds or something, in Victoria, (the 14 14 sticks in my head for some reason), I thought it was nearer $16 generally, with an 'average' wage being something around the $20 in most places (bar work and stuff).

That's what everyone I have spoken to who's worked out there has told me they were on anyway, something between $19/hour and $26/hour (although that was a very lucky job they told me lol, they were usually nearer $21/$22/hour lol) most of the time.

Its all relative - if you are earning $ and spending $ how much you are earning is relevant with the cost of a can of coke - if the minimum wage in the UK was £20 an hour, would you care if it cost £3 for a can of coke? Probably not as much - its the same as minimum wage being £5 a hour and a can of coke costing 50p - look at the amount of time you have to work to afford it imho.

EG if I get $20 for 1 hours work, and a McDonalds costs me $10, I have to work for 30 mins to get lunch. If I get £5 for 1 hours work and a McDonalds costs me £6, I have to work for 70 mins to get lunch. Which is better?

For those who are interested

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6302.0/

Think the national average for an adult is $1305.81 pw or ordinary working hours eg. 37.5 (no overtime)

$1305.81/37.5= $34.81 per hour