Sydney's hard yakka and coke is $3 a can!

kasper5

Guest guest37336
cheers tony i hope so. i get the feeling mum thinks im living in cuckoo land so she'll get a fright if he does get sponsorship lol. and i was speaking to my dad on FB last night and he said if i dont give it at least 2 years he'll kick my a**e lol

You'll often find this is the reaction Stacey.

Sometimes it is a case of 'Yeah, heard it all before'. Sometimes it is based on worry and concern for you and at other times it is just the old green eyed monster.

Either way you have to do it for you, and whilst it may be difficult for others to accept (for the reasons outlined or many others) it is your decision to make.

Cheers Tony.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dads aunt was speaking to me on facebook last night and asking about everything, her sons lived in melbourne for 7 years now, he just got offered the job one day with his work in the uk and took his girlfriend who he didnt even live with and they hadnt been going out long. everything worked out and now they have a kid etc. but nooo the aunt cant be happy for me, all i get is " but what about leaving your friends " and your mum and dad would miss you so much. I never get one positive thing out of her, so i ended up saying " i cant live my life for other people, mum and dad told me to go and it didnt stop your son going even though he knew how much you would miss him" it was probably a bit nasty but she winds me up sometimes!

Ps - sorry to the OP for taking over your thread! i'll stop now lol sorry!

Guest guest37336

Yeah agree Stacey, sorry for the off topic stuff.:wubclub:

But I completely agree, 'Coke' is blooming expensive in OZ.:jiggy::shocked:

Cheers Tony.

Ive been in Sydney for a week now and the whole backpacker thing is rubbish. Ive done some research and NSW is great. I can see this place as home one. I really hate having to live with kids who just want to drink and make a noise.

If you have the misfortune to get the WH visa, dont go into a hostel. They are dirty and overpriced. Use helpex and see the real Australia and live in a proper house.

If youre wondering what Im doing in this mess - well not all of us can afford better. Sydney is expensive. In Sydney a can of coke is 1.40 pounds! 5 years ago the exchange rate was 3 dollars to a pound.

I dont think Ill give up as Ive come too far and as silly as it sounds, I feel I have a connection with the country which wont go away.

I particularly recommend living in Balmain and Kirribili, but theyre nice places in Surry Hills which is cheaper and central.

Think very carefully before you commit mentally to moving here. My profession is actor and itll take me 10 years to train up to be something I can emigrate (most actors have day jobs). Im still not going to give up though. Having tough long term plans helped me and you have to push yourself.

I stayed at the YHA hostel at Central and thought it was pretty good. I was worried before I went there, being in my 50's and hating the thought of sharing a room with three other (young) blokes. I had a ball and my room-mates were all friendly. Most of the boozing went on in the bars outside. Young blokes and girls are the same the world over.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Kasper, I don't think it's just Sydney, there seems lots of reports of partying all night in the dorms along with drugs and sex. I'm not a prude but why put other people through this who are sharing with you.

its the same everywhere really. i know shops here that a can of cola is at least £1 and its definitely double in a restaurant which you would expect anyway really. it just depends if you want to pay it, id pay anything if i was really thirsty lol

I remember the good old days back in England 2 months ago, where cans of coke are 50p....I'm depressed :cry::laugh:

cheers tony i hope so. i get the feeling mum thinks im living in cuckoo land so she'll get a fright if he does get sponsorship lol. and i was speaking to my dad on FB last night and he said if i dont give it at least 2 years he'll kick my a**e lol

I've had that reaction too...everyone thought i wouldn't be in aus now! And they seemed even more shocked when I said I wanna move here!

I've had that reaction too...everyone thought i wouldn't be in aus now! And they seemed even more shocked when I said I wanna move here!

How are you coping with the pressure of expectation stacy? You had a very public build up to your arrival in oz. Does that make it harder, in that if you're feeling negative about the place, do you feel obliged to gloss over it?

How are you coping with the pressure of expectation stacy? You had a very public build up to your arrival in oz. Does that make it harder, in that if you're feeling negative about the place, do you feel obliged to gloss over it?

No I wouldn't gloss it over. I think so far I've said everything as I see it, good or bad. On the whole I'm enjoying Australia and don't really have a bad thing to say about it except it's a tad expensive. I don't think I've been here long enough to say what it's like to live here as we're just travelling atm!

Guest The Pom Queen
No I wouldn't gloss it over. I think so far I've said everything as I see it, good or bad. On the whole I'm enjoying Australia and don't really have a bad thing to say about it except it's a tad expensive. I don't think I've been here long enough to say what it's like to live here as we're just travelling atm!

What isn't too like anyway:biggrin:

Although I bet you are working harder than most by being out on the farms, hopefully this time you will earn enough to do some more sight seeing.

Guest The Pom Queen
You haven't read our thread yet :laugh: change of plan re job!

Give me chance I have just woke up, some of us were working until 2am:SLEEP::SLEEP:

Guest The Pom Queen
Wooahh crazy!! Hope today's a lazy one for you! It will be for us lol. Beer+DVD's+V8 racing (:SLEEP:) lol

Just managed to catch up:tongue:

Is there anything else that's paid? You should get some work in the shops and bars now the holidays are coming up.

IMHO it depends on the hostel you end up in - the one I used back in NZ certainly wasn't like this - it was lovely (I picked it as it was the cheapest in town for a private room lol) and I was very sad to move out :(

And what will be will be with regards to relationships - I came back from NZ for my now husband - I'd only known him for about 2 months before I left for NZ. My parents wanted to kill me, and didn't understand it until 5 years later when we got married :) Now we're off to Aus together this time (it wasn't possible for him to come to NZ back then). Life is funny - look at Jamie Oliver (I mean his story and how he got to where he is now, rather than he is a bit weird lol).

Just managed to catch up:tongue:

Is there anything else that's paid? You should get some work in the shops and bars now the holidays are coming up.

Yeah we're literally just gonna get anything, although just appled for a pea picking job in Mildura through gumtree, so fingers crossed.

Guest guest37336
OMG! Saw a can of coke for $2.20 in Adelaide. Everyone ruuuunnn here to get your cheapER coke !

Have you done Pepper/Capsicum picking yet Stacy?:shocked::shocked:

Did a couple of weeks up Canarvon way a long time ago, jesus, back didn't know what had it hit, couldn't move for a week.

After that I learnt to only 'pick' stuff that was chest height or above.:idea::yes:

Cheers Tony.

Have you done Pepper/Capsicum picking yet Stacy?:shocked::shocked:

Did a couple of weeks up Canarvon way a long time ago, jesus, back didn't know what had it hit, couldn't move for a week.

After that I learnt to only 'pick' stuff that was chest height or above.:idea::yes:

Cheers Tony.

Nope not done any picking yet! But I agree, no back aches for me thank you!

I remember the good old days back in England 2 months ago, where cans of coke are 50p....I'm depressed :cry::laugh:

I am shocked by all these reports of how expensive Australia has become. I have visited 3 times in the past and one of the best things about the country was how reasonable all the prices were. Of course, sometimes I was getting 3 dollars to the pound..

I understand things are a little different when you start earning the Aussie dollar but even so.

The only silver lining for me was checking out the minimum wage in Oz. I made it £9.75. Have I got this right?

The only silver lining for me was checking out the minimum wage in Oz. I made it £9.75. Have I got this right?

I think it varies slightly from place to place a little (state to state) and with the age of the person (ie for under 16 year olds etc), but the least I've heard it be is $14 which would be around £9.33, however I think that was for 14 year olds or something, in Victoria, (the 14 14 sticks in my head for some reason), I thought it was nearer $16 generally, with an 'average' wage being something around the $20 in most places (bar work and stuff).

That's what everyone I have spoken to who's worked out there has told me they were on anyway, something between $19/hour and $26/hour (although that was a very lucky job they told me lol, they were usually nearer $21/$22/hour lol) most of the time.

Its all relative - if you are earning $ and spending $ how much you are earning is relevant with the cost of a can of coke - if the minimum wage in the UK was £20 an hour, would you care if it cost £3 for a can of coke? Probably not as much - its the same as minimum wage being £5 a hour and a can of coke costing 50p - look at the amount of time you have to work to afford it imho.

EG if I get $20 for 1 hours work, and a McDonalds costs me $10, I have to work for 30 mins to get lunch. If I get £5 for 1 hours work and a McDonalds costs me £6, I have to work for 70 mins to get lunch. Which is better?

Thanks for the clarification PositivePixie.

I suppose the moral of the story is find a job as quickly as you can.

I feel sorry for all the backpackers and holidaymakers - how do they afford it? It must be much harder to fund that degenerate lifestyle others have mentioned. We certainly didn't have too many problems back in the 90's when a box of wine was under 10 bucks and a beer $2.70..... I suppose it's the speed of the change that has taken me by surprise. I was last in Oz in 2006 and it was business as usual as I remember.

The other thing I used to like about prices in Australia was their uniformity, I rarely felt ripped off and there was less variation than the UK between a posh pub prices and a rough one, for example. My impression is that things are still uniform, but uniformly expensive.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for the clarification PositivePixie.

I suppose the moral of the story is find a job as quickly as you can.

I feel sorry for all the backpackers and holidaymakers - how do they afford it? It must be much harder to fund that degenerate lifestyle others have mentioned. We certainly didn't have too many problems back in the 90's when a box of wine was under 10 bucks and a beer $2.70..... I suppose it's the speed of the change that has taken me by surprise. I was last in Oz in 2006 and it was business as usual as I remember.

The other thing I used to like about prices in Australia was their uniformity, I rarely felt ripped off and there was less variation than the UK between a posh pub prices and a rough one, for example. My impression is that things are still uniform, but uniformly expensive.

Not everywhere is expensive and you can buy bottles of wine for under $4.

You can dine at an all you can eat Chinese up here for $5, it's just knowing where to go and when.

My impression is that things are still uniform, but uniformly expensive.

But that's the same the world over - look at the price of butter in the UK now! (sorry, this is a specific bug bear of mine - it was under 50p a packet, then it went to 60p, then 65p and then in the space of 1 month it went up again to £1.10, then £1.20! (I admit it is back to £1.10 now, under the guide of rolling back prices/price dropping etc aren't we a wonderful supermarket etc). That is just crazy for a price rise, all within one year. And don't get me started on Digestive biscuits lol....)