Sydney's hard yakka and coke is $3 a can!

kasper5

Ive been in Sydney for a week now and the whole backpacker thing is rubbish. Ive done some research and NSW is great. I can see this place as home one. I really hate having to live with kids who just want to drink and make a noise.

If you have the misfortune to get the WH visa, dont go into a hostel. They are dirty and overpriced. Use helpex and see the real Australia and live in a proper house.

If youre wondering what Im doing in this mess - well not all of us can afford better. Sydney is expensive. In Sydney a can of coke is 1.40 pounds! 5 years ago the exchange rate was 3 dollars to a pound.

I dont think Ill give up as Ive come too far and as silly as it sounds, I feel I have a connection with the country which wont go away.

I particularly recommend living in Balmain and Kirribili, but theyre nice places in Surry Hills which is cheaper and central.

Think very carefully before you commit mentally to moving here. My profession is actor and itll take me 10 years to train up to be something I can emigrate (most actors have day jobs). Im still not going to give up though. Having tough long term plans helped me and you have to push yourself.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hated backpacking in aus, so many cocky moronic English dickheads shagging each other senseless (no I didn't get any action). I much preferred backpacking through SE Asia, the other backpackers seamed more normal somehow, more interesting to talk to and more broad minded. Mind you, this was 18 and 14 years ago I'm talking about.

Do agree with you about the hostel thing! It's not what I imagined either. There's quite a few dodgy people out there lol. I'm camping now tho. And I've heard of Helpex it's like wwoofing isn't it, we did that last month, working in exchange for food and accomodation. Good way to see the sites for cheap! Only difference between wwoof and helpex is you're insured with wwoof! Btw, $3 for a can of coke is the standard everywhere sadly! I was pretty shocked at the price of drinks and confectionary especially.

i know if you were to buy loads of them then it would turn out quite expensive but is £1.40 really that bad for a drink? here if you have a cola in a restaurant your looking to pay £2.00. is there not a cheaper version you can drink.

Glad you've found a place you would like to stay tho :)

so many cocky moronic English dickheads shagging each other senseless (no I didn't get any action)

aww :cute: lol only joking i dont like the sound of that either, thats why i avoid places like magaluf and malia, watching people down beer and shagging everywhere is not my idea of a good time!

Guest guest37336
sorry dom dont know what happened to my quotes! are mods even meant to say "shagging" lol

No it's OK to use the term 'Shagging' in Doms context.

I am sure he was referring to the dance invented in the Southern States of the USA back in the 20/30's.:yes:

I too never understood all the 'Shagging' when I backpacked, give me a good jive anytime.:wink:

Cheers Tony.

Guest guest37336

On a serious note like Dom.

Though many many years ago when I backpacked I never understood all the hanky panky going on either.

I was no saint but didn't seem to want a 'dalliance' at EVERY pit stop.

The whole thing with backpacking is too get out there and taste the culture, peoples and the like. The only thing 'shagging' around does is make the whole experiences one you could have back in your homeland.:idea:

I'm no prude, but never 'got' it if you know what I mean.:no:

Cheers Tony.:eek:

On a serious note like Dom.

Though many many years ago when I backpacked I never understood all the hanky panky going on either.

I was no saint but didn't seem to want a 'dalliance' at EVERY pit stop.

The whole thing with backpacking is too get out there and taste the culture, peoples and the like. The only thing 'shagging' around does is make the whole experiences one you could have back in your homeland.:idea:

I'm no prude, but never 'got' it if you know what I mean.:no:

Cheers Tony.:eek:

quite right Tony. Give me a mug of Horlicks and a book on great train journeys through south east scotland any day of the week.

:cry:

Guest guest37336
maybe the heat makes them frisky?? lol

That's another thing Stacey.

All that heat makes the whole exercise bloody messy and slippery.:no:

I'd rather have a fishing rod in my hand and get all sweaty and slippery fighting a decent fish, at least the fish doesn't then say, 'Ohhh Ahhh, I would love to travel with you all around Australia, I think I love you'.:realmad::no:

Cheers Tony.

Guest guest37336
lol slippery :laugh:

maybe they just get carried away with being in another country lol i dunno!

im like you two, give me a book instead anyday lol

Seriously Stacey.

I've seen some true horror stories about this.

Fellas and girls with HUGE plans to see OZ and the Far East, what do they do as soon as they rock up at a hostel and the like, too much to drink, fall in love overnight then stay in the same place because the new love of their lives is there.:no:

Cheers Tony.:no:

Guest guest37336
but why cant they travel round together?? silly buggas lol then i bet once their whv runs out they end up splitting up!

Some do Stacey, but invariably their plans have to change.:no: And it can be a case of not doing what 'you' wanted to do is all.

I had a 'dalliance' once out there with a Kiwi girl, nice enough and we got on very well, but after two weeks of 'I, I, I, want to do this', I had enough, we agreed to 'split' when I was in Denham for too long as the fishing was great and the outback called once again.:embarrassed::biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.

Yeah i know what you mean, one person wants to go one place but the other doesnt. Thats one of the downsides of going with dave, i dont get to travel round everywhere but i suppose theres always holidays to the other states, i dont need to rough it lol but thats part of the experience!

Guest guest37336
Yeah i know what you mean, one person wants to go one place but the other doesnt. Thats one of the downsides of going with dave, i dont get to travel round everywhere but i suppose theres always holidays to the other states, i dont need to rough it lol but thats part of the experience!

Like I said Stacey, sometimes it works, and I did indeed meet the second Mrs Tosser at a backpackers. Fortunately we were in our thirties, so 'maybe' a bit more sensible and we both wanted the same things out of OZ, it was a great time in my life and one that I will never forget.:wubclub:

But to a degree she was in 'holiday' mode I think and when we got back even though we got married asap back here the marriage only lasted three months as she said that she wanted to put down some 'roots', which at that point in time I didn't want to do for many reasons.:embarrassed:

I just wished she had told me of her affair with her boss at the time BEFORE the bloody wedding.:no::no::cry::goofy::biglaugh:

thats a shame, such a cruel thing to do! I think me and dave want the same things from oz although he definitely is more in work mode than me, hes looking at it from the point of view that he'll get plenty of work ( which isnt the case here ) and possibly more money, but i'll probably be more in holiday mood which will give me a shock once i get there!

Guest guest37336
thats a shame, such a cruel thing to do! I think me and dave want the same things from oz although he definitely is more in work mode than me, hes looking at it from the point of view that he'll get plenty of work ( which isnt the case here ) and possibly more money, but i'll probably be more in holiday mood which will give me a shock once i get there!

It will work out Stacey, you both know it makes sense, and fingers crossed for you and Dave with the visa and sponsorship matey.:wubclub: