3FatCats

Boring job vs good money - opinions?

First off, sorry if this should be in the jobs section, but it is more of a dilemma to me.

What would you do if you were offered a job you could do standing on your head but already know it will be boring, however the money is good and you would therefore feel less guilty about sitting at home all day and not contributing to the family income?

I know money isn't everything.... but it does help solve a lot of problems and helps you sleep at night. At the same time boredom in the workplace can be very detrimental.

Would be really glad to receive some truthful opinions, many thanks :wubclub:

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

I would say happiness is better than money, but sometimes they come hand in hand. How about taking it as a temporary measure until something better comes along.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Try being a librarian! The money here is very good but you can get some strange looks when you say Shush ...or accidently swear

First off, sorry if this should be in the jobs section, but it is more of a dilemma to me.

What would you do if you were offered a job you could do standing on your head but already know it will be boring, however the money is good and you would therefore feel less guilty about sitting at home all day and not contributing to the family income?

I know money isn't everything.... but it does help solve a lot of problems and helps you sleep at night. At the same time boredom in the workplace can be very detrimental.

Would be really glad to receive some truthful opinions, many thanks :wubclub:

Depends on the degree of boredom / frustration, and whether you have the self discipline to focus on other things.

If you can do the job standing on your head, and have free time at work where you are twiddling your thumbs - can you do other things instead, like post on PIO :biggrin:, study, etc

In the UK I worked at a company where employees had to make sandwiches on a sandwich line. Literally a conveyor belt, where one person put the butter on, the next put the tomato in etc. I was tasked with improving efficiency etc, so my bright idea was to work on the line for a day to understand what caused delays / stoppages etc.

:biglaugh: Didn't last the morning. Mind numbing. And these people weren't thick. Just able to manage the boredom.

Guest JK2510

It's a toughie. My OH works in air conditioning and his job is a doddle. He is use to working in controls/plant rooms as he was in th uk. The money is good(average rate really) the thing is when you first arrive in oz you haven't neccessarly got plenty of job offers and the important thing is is to secure a job and get some $ rolling in.

My OH works for a good company where he has made friends with quite a few of them. This week he got a call from a company he used to work for in the uk who also have an office in Perth. The money is better,the work is more him but what would happen with the good friends he has made,what if things don't work out?! Is the grass greener?!

It seems like living in a different country away from familiarity you have more to lose and have to think alot longer on those life changing decisions.

Oh I hope my waffling makes sense and helps! Perhaps I should change my user name to waffles!

One of the things I've learned from from immigrant friends and their families in the UK is that initially you cannot be too choosy about jobs and have to take what you can get. Once you have some Aussie experience and proved yourself in being a good employee then you can look for something better. Why do you thing may Indian immigrants work in crap jobs at petrol stations, McDonalds etc?

I had one job in Oz which I lasted 6 months. On paper it was my dream job and pretty good money but I was bored out of my mind so I left to go back to my previous employer where I temped. The money was slightly better but the work was definitely lower in skill. I's still here and the work has improved as I've been allowed to make changes and now I am given more work appropriate to my skill level, providing I get the 'crap' done first. It makes work more enjoyable.

you have to find the right balance for you. You might be able to put up with rubbish for so long but if it is getting you down that much, look for something else. If the new place ends up being worse than the first one, thats the luck of the draw. You never know until you move jobs but I've gone back to old jobs twice in my career so don't burn your bridges.

Thanks for all your replies. This would actually be my first job offer in Oz since we got here 5 weeks ago. We can manage on OHs salary, so that is not an immediate problem, however I have always worked and been independent and not sure I could do the whole houseworker thing long term specially as we don't have kids. One part of me feels I should get out there and try it, the other part says I know you are going to be bored and then end up resenting the commute and wondering why you did it. If we had kids then I would be in no doubt whatsoever and I would not accept the job, or if Sydney wasn't so damn expensive then too I would not accept and just focus on studying something, doing voluntary work which I would like and trying for a baby. As things stand the wages would come in handy and I feel a bit lazy just being at home with no pressing engagements, like I should be using my time for something better. Oh well, I'll mull it over a while yet....

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

Thanks Stevie! think how many leggings I will be able to buy :tongue::laugh::wub:

Thanks Stevie! think how many leggings I will be able to buy :tongue::laugh::wub:
:laugh::notworthy:

If you are used to working and wanting to work, I'd say consider taking it, at least as a temp thing to give it go and see. Nothing ventured and all that.

If you really hate it after 3 months you could always look for something else or leave. Another point to consider is that the general rule of thumb is that its easier to find a job when you already have one. The job would be good because it would provide you with working in the Aussie job market, won't leave you not working for an extended period and give you something to do, which even if boring, you can cope with and find your feet working in a new country.

It will also help you meet people, get to know the system, give you something to focus on rather than being at home with the house stuff only.

I'd take it. Its not like you have to stay there and be miserable for years or anything is it. If you find you are liking being back at work but wanting more of a challenge, go look for it and start applying for other jobs.

I've done a few jobs I've found boring as hell over the years. Didn't do them longer than a year but it was a means to an end and a step in the right direction when needed/wanted. And boring doesn't mean its crap or a horrible job. Just boring. Don't let it get to you, get some other stuff done in the day, make the most of it where you can and its doable. It'd be far worse for me to be stuck working in a job that made me genuinely unhappy and I hated to be there. Being bored just means you get the work done, do it well and get out of there on time to go have some fun.

Guest xpressboy22

If you are not happy then what will you do with money?

However if I am getting extraordinary money for a little boring job then I can go for it.