Are we allowed to take new items to Australia?

cartertucker

You are supposed to declare them, and technically might be liable for tax (GST) on them. You could probably have a debate about items you were bringing purely as personal effects, but personally I try and avoid having debates with tax people, you rarely win.....

Its worth bearing in mind they can ask to see receipts for goods also. Well ask for proof of purchase. Its not like you get a visa in 5 minutes and are off, so buying something like a new sofa 2 months before you leave is a bit hard to write off as not knowing you were leaving etc.

If its some small things I'd not worry overly. Unpack them from boxes and it hopefully is ok. If you are talking lots of stuff like new beds, sofa, washing machine, fridge I'd be concerned. They might notice its pretty new/brand new and stick you with costs.

Guest JimandDanielle

Silly question maybe, but if it's in a container, how would they know? Do they check when you are unloading it or something?

Guest GeorgeD
Silly question maybe, but if it's in a container, how would they know? Do they check when you are unloading it or something?

Yes, they look in the containers. They are also allowed to look in any boxes or anything sealed in your goods as well. They're not being nosey, they need to check for anything prohibited. They can use dogs, etc, but people are also involved, so a fridge freezer in it's original packaging would probably stick out like a sore thumb.

In terms of the 1 year old rule, you'll probably find the odd thing will be passed under the radar...they are really after people imoprting goods on a larger scale to avoid paying duty. If you have a 6 month old Blu Ray player, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Furniture would be exatly the same...if it is packed in manufacturer's packaging then its's going to be worth a look, the same goes for you having ten sofas...but if you only have one or two sofas and they look slightly lived in then there's unlikely to be a problem.

Yes, they look in the containers. They are also allowed to look in any boxes or anything sealed in your goods as well. They're not being nosey, they need to check for anything prohibited. They can use dogs, etc, but people are also involved, so a fridge freezer in it's original packaging would probably stick out like a sore thumb.

In terms of the 1 year old rule, you'll probably find the odd thing will be passed under the radar...they are really after people imoprting goods on a larger scale to avoid paying duty. If you have a 6 month old Blu Ray player, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Furniture would be exatly the same...if it is packed in manufacturer's packaging then its's going to be worth a look, the same goes for you having ten sofas...but if you only have one or two sofas and they look slightly lived in then there's unlikely to be a problem.

The other thing to be careful of is if you buy goods that have just been launched like the latest i-phone, 3D TV - you may get caught out that way as they are undera year old.

We declared a few goods new Dyson, bits for our music system - will let you know what happens as the the container is now in Melboure awaiting it's inspection