Great Southern Rail - Great discounts for backpackers

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

http://www.greatsouthernrail.com.au/site/backpacker.jsp

I am sorry as a citizen I am a little jealous that backpackers receive such a huge discount on trips on the Ghan etc.

For example from Adelaide to Darwin on the Ghan for a local it is $746 whereas a backpacker can get it for $330:no:

Sydney to Perth for a local is $751 for a backpacker $299

If you can do this trip whilst you are backpacking go for it, I've never been able to afford for us all to do it, but if I win the lottery it will be one of many trips.

I even thought of saying I was a back packer but the terms and conditions are:

Terms and Conditions

#Austrail Pass Terms and Conditions

• The pass is issued to and accepted by the person named on the ticket, subject to the Railways Acts bylaws, Regulations and General Conditions of Carriage in force in each Railway System to which the travel applies.
  • This pass is valid for use on specified rail and coach services operated by the following Railway systems - Great Southern Rail (Red Service Seats); QR Traveltrain (economy seats); Countrylink (economy seats). This pass is not valid on any Metropolitan services of North Queensland Tourist Train services.
  • Travel must commence with the pass validated within 6 months of the date of purchase. Travel must be completed within 6 months of the date of validation endorsed on the pass at the initial point of departure.
  • The holder may upgrade to travel in First Class, Business Class or Red Premium Service Seats and sleeping berths on payment of the applicable upgrade amount.
  • The pass is only available for purchase by bona fide overseas visitors to Australia. A passport must be produced at the first time of purchase to verify the passenger is a resident of another country.
  • A reservation is essential prior to the use of the pass and entitles the passenger to one allocation on any service. The travel pass is a receipt only and does not guarantee travel. A reservation for each individual sector of travel is necessary to obtain a valid travel ticket.
  • This pass must be presented with the passport of the holder at the ticket office of the departure of the initial journey for validation and endorsing the Total period of availability on the Pass document. The passport with ticket is to be produced by the holder for all subsequent journeys at either the ticket office or to onboard staff for verification.
  • For full conditions and important travel tips please refer to the information provided with each operators travel ticket.The pass is only available for full adult fares no concessions apply.
  • The pass is subject to a fuel price surcharge per sector booked on The Ghan, Indian Pacific and The Overland.
  • This Pass is not transferable. One passenger only per Pass.
  • No refund is payable on passes that have been validated, nor are refunds allowed on lost or stolen passes. Applications for refund on unused passes must be submitted to the issuing office within 12 months of the date of issue and a 10% refund fee is payable.
  • For passes purchased overseas, refunds cannot be obtained in Australia.
  • ^*#All fares quoted in Australian dollars.
  • ^*#All fares valid until 31 March 2012

I read that as having only to present a passport from another country - nothing is said about a visa being present..... a lot of visas are electronic these days so I reckon you may get away with just presenting your UK ( or other country) passport.

Worth a bit more digging me thinks !!!

Guest The Pom Queen
I read that as having only to present a passport from another country - nothing is said about a visa being present..... a lot of visas are electronic these days so I reckon you may get away with just presenting your UK ( or other country) passport.

Worth a bit more digging me thinks !!!

Might be good for someone else but unfortunately I'm on an Aussie passport now with an expired UK passport. Although it would probably be cheaper to renew the passport than pay full price. I think it's a little mean of them not supporting the locals.

Guest guest37336
Might be good for someone else but unfortunately I'm on an Aussie passport now with an expired UK passport. Although it would probably be cheaper to renew the passport than pay full price. I think it's a little mean of them not supporting the locals.

Might be worth your while getting the pommy passport again Kate.

Did what belaroy said a couple of times and got away with it,:embarrassed::embarrassed::mad::policeman:.

It's got to be worth a try. But am in FULL agreement about local rates. On the doorstep of some truly spectacular adventure and scenery and as locals you should not be ripped off in this day and age.

The same can be said for over here Kate. The last time I was up north I wanted to take Ruth into Yorkminster, but at £12 with no concession for poms (locals exempted from full price) was in my opinion disgusting.

Cheers Tony.

I don't think it is mean at all, considering that you spend your time on the train in an Airplane seat, day or night. How about a 4 day trip from Sydney to Perth! I love trains but I think I will give this one a skip, as in the end I would think that flights would be cheaper and with 5 in the family like mine it would definitely be cheaper to go by car!

The other thing I find strange is, why do they give concessions for foreign backpackers only?

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't think it is mean at all, considering that you spend your time on the train in an Airplane seat, day or night. How about a 4 day trip from Sydney to Perth! I love trains but I think I will give this one a skip, as in the end I would think that flights would be cheaper and with 5 in the family like mine it would definitely be cheaper to go by car!

The other thing I find strange is, why do they give concessions for foreign backpackers only?

Don't quite understand what you are referring to, as I was saying it is unfair (mean) that they only give concessions to FOREIGN backpackers.:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen
Would have loved to travelled by train when I was there but only had 5 weeks and so much to cram in ending up flying, then looking out the window wishing I was down there. :daydreaming:

We have driven half of Oz the East coast and central and love the trips, wish we had no children as we would be off all the time. I did consider boarding school for them but they wouldn't have it:wink:

Now we have the forby we want to do the Savannah way by car, but I also want to do the Ghan.

Don't quite understand what you are referring to, as I was saying it is unfair (mean) that they only give concessions to FOREIGN backpackers.:wubclub:

Ag Ja, exactly why do they only give concessions to foreign back packers?

Also the price that you are talking about is for a seat (airline type), you have to spend day and night in it for 3days +. I just check on line for a Sydney to Perth trip for 2 adults sharing a cabin (red which is the cheapest) comes out at $1470 each and that is only one way