Urgent help needed....any advice greatly appreciated

RobAmielia

Hello everyone,

My name is Rob and this is my unfortunate situation. I am English and have a daughter who is now almost 5. She is Australian and lives in Mildura, Vic with her Australian mother. We split up about 4 years ago but still get on well and I have always supplied for my daughter by sending money over every 2 weeks.

There is so much to take in when I try to research if I can readily get a visa and citizenship that I can simply not work it all out. I have talked to so many people before and it never seems clear cut. I am now in a position financially where I can pay for all costs etc and plan to move over there. But what I want to know is this is possible right? Who do you suggest the best people to get advice from are? Should I just make a appointment at the Australian embassy in London? Do you have any idea on prices and time lines?

This is so so important to me and any help, however small it might be would be so much appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance,

Rob.

Hello everyone,

My name is Rob and this is my unfortunate situation. I am English and have a daughter who is now almost 5. She is Australian and lives in Mildura, Vic with her Australian mother. We split up about 4 years ago but still get on well and I have always supplied for my daughter by sending money over every 2 weeks.

There is so much to take in when I try to research if I can readily get a visa and citizenship that I can simply not work it all out. I have talked to so many people before and it never seems clear cut. I am now in a position financially where I can pay for all costs etc and plan to move over there. But what I want to know is this is possible right? Who do you suggest the best people to get advice from are? Should I just make a appointment at the Australian embassy in London? Do you have any idea on prices and time lines?

This is so so important to me and any help, however small it might be would be so much appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

I would suggest you look for a Migration Lawyer either from the UK or Australia but make sure they are Mara registered.

Hope this helps Tania

Hi Rob,

I would suggest you look for a Migration Lawyer either from the UK or Australia but make sure they are Mara registered.

Hope this helps Tania

Thanks,

I am already reading about 20 year waiting lists and $40,000 charges! Is this really correct? There must be a way for me to be able to live in the same country as my own daughter. Or is each case dealt with individually? Just to do a on line assessment was $2.6k.

Guess I am just panicking already but I will call some lawyers and hopefully things might look better :)

You could buy "Australia and New Zealand" magazine as a start, it regularly runs articles about how to emigrate Down Under, there are also migration agents who advertise in the back pages. Hope this helps. :biggrin::biggrin:

Do you have any qualifications or skills? If you have what they want, its very easy to get in to the country.

I have a few qualifications but nothing like anything at degree level. I am a professional on line poker player so I'm thinking this is not going to help my situation:(

Thanks for the advice, I will try the magazine :)

Ah yeah. Probably best you dont mention that then haha. :/

How about experience in careers? I think your safest bet if you want to stay long-term is to hand your CV out to businesses that can sponsor you into the country. I think its a 457 visa.

If that isnt something you want to do, then how about getting a working holiday visa (permitting you are eligible); and reapplying at the end of every year.

I hope this helps, it isnt necessarily my fieldof knowledge :/

Kind regards.

Thanks,

I am already reading about 20 year waiting lists and $40,000 charges! Is this really correct? There must be a way for me to be able to live in the same country as my own daughter. Or is each case dealt with individually? Just to do a on line assessment was $2.6k.

Guess I am just panicking already but I will call some lawyers and hopefully things might look better :)

Yeah I would definitely speak to a Migration Lawyer I would try by phone rather than those on line things, Their are normally 1 or 2 on here maybe start a new thread asking for a good migration lawyer, good luck.

Tania

I have a few qualifications but nothing like anything at degree level. I am a professional on line poker player so I'm thinking this is not going to help my situation:(

Thanks for the advice, I will try the magazine :)

How can you be a professional online poker player :eek: didn't know there were ametuters and professionals in online gambling.

How can you be a professional online poker player didn't know there were ametuters and professionals in online gambling.

Easy really, a professional earns a living out of it, an amateur does it as a hobby or sideline ...

I have found a migration lawyer where the initial price seems reasonable. Would you recommend that I take this offer up of the interview at $89?

A pro poker player wouldn't asking this, he'd be making an extra few bob at the table to pay for it ...

Try this company ... http://www.conceptaustralia.co.uk/ , look up their Manchester office and call it. The guy was short and sweet with me, he listened to my case over the phone and asked why I needed him, turned out he was right and I didn't. But he also helped a friend of mine who was looking for a visa for his elderly mother and the guy knew his stuff inside out and she got sorted sharpish.

P

I was not being funny Bob but who says "you are a pro" except yourself, I bet on the football and I am up £450 this year and last year £67 up, am I a pro?

For the last 4 years I have have never had another job or claimed a penny and my sole income is from poker. Poker is a skill game long term. Many 1000's of people around the world are professional poker players the only difference is some countries you have to pay tax on your earnings and some you don't.

http://www.professional-poker.com/news/2009/mar/972-Becoming-a-Professional-Poker-Player.htm

There are so many places on line that will explain the ins and outs of a pro poker player. The above is just one of them.

Anyway I did not come on here to talk about my job as I am here for a very important reason.

I hope this now draws a line under it ;)

Rob.

For the last 4 years I have have never had another job or claimed a penny and my sole income is from poker. Poker is a skill game long term. Many 1000's of people around the world are professional poker players the only difference is some countries you have to pay tax on your earnings and some you don't.

http://www.professional-poker.com/news/2009/mar/972-Becoming-a-Professional-Poker-Player.htm

There are so many places on line that will explain the ins and outs of a pro poker player. The above is just one of them.

Anyway I did not come on here to talk about my job as I am here for a very important reason.

I hope this now draws a line under it ;)

Rob.

I totally agree you should not have to justify your skills.

Have you managed to find a Migration Lawyer.

Tania

It is a nice feeling to see so many people offering advice to someone they do not know so thanks so so much.

I have found a migration lawyer where the initial price seems reasonable. Would you recommend that I take this offer up of the interview at $89?

http://www.australianimmigrationlawyers.com/migration_plan.php

Thanks again.

Our migration agent didn't charge anything for the initial interview and I only payed the first installment after we had agreed upon which visa to apply for and I had agreed to go for it. I initially phoned them up, they took some details and told me there and then whether I had a chance of getting a visa. They then sent me a welcome pack with more information on the process and details of the interview and what I needed to take with me. From then on they only charged me additional fees at each stage of their part in the application process. If I'd have pulled out at any point I would only have been charged for the work they had done up to that point.

I wouldn't trust anyone who wanted money up front.

Just a point to note - A regulated migration agent is not allowed to advise you to apply for a visa if you have no chance of getting it.