Best car for family of 6

cartertucker

our kia grande carnival is 2008 - we arrived 2009 so it was a year old when we bought it.... we got 5 years warrenty with it... most garages will offer a three year warrenty with a car so i dont see what problem there would be with buying older model?

there is plenty of boot space- it is a seriously big car! we have two booster seats and two car seats in it and there is a lot of room... car parking spaces seem to be bigger in oz lol and i dont have a problem parking it...mine also has reversing sensors and a camera on the back with a screen by driver so there are things that can help....

hope that helps, i agree with the other poster, take everyone with you when you go to see car, and car seats and pram, and dont rush into a decision... we did a

with buying the hyundai santa fe and we lost a few thousand :( good luck!

We have a Hyundai Imax. It is an eight seater, driver, passenger and two back rows of 3 seats each. Our kids are 6, 4 and 2 - all in the row behind us which leaves the back row free for any extra passengers - handy when the relatives from abroad come and visit! The boot is massive, we have 3 scooters, a huge ( I mean huge 6 x buckets 6 x spades and rakes cups shapes etc) bag of beach toys, picnic blankets etc that permanently live in there - PLUS our Phil and Teds double stroller which I dont even have to fold up when placing in boot - that is how tall and wide the boot is. Great to be able to just open the boot and lift up the stroller without having to faff about folding it up. We had a Honday Odyssey before and looked at the Kia and the Mazda CX-9 but none of them could accomodate the amount of stuff we needed to cart around.

Not the most luxurious of interiors, but not too bad and anyway, everything else about the IMAX makes up for it. And no - we DON'T work for Hyundai - just love the car!

Hope this helps :)

What year is your Kia? :unsure: (sorry I keep asking everyone this, but people have tried to put us off & I like to think we are Ok with an earlier model?)

I wonder if your local library has a copy of a book called "The Dog and Lemon Guide" in the car section? It has some interesting things to say about the cars you mention and worth reading if you are in the market. It is very critical of pre 2006 Carnivals on both reliability and safety grounds. It does mention the Mitsubishi Grandis as an alternative worth considering (haven't read all the posts so don't know if it has been mentioned).

Guest Sir Les Patterson

Skani, was going to suggest "The Dog and Lemon Guide" myself....it is most informative about all vehicles available in Australia and NZ. There is also another way.....it is called "Google".......if you type in for example Kia Carnival review, you will be amazed with what comes up.

Kelly...our Carnival is a 2004 model and we have had it since 2009, it has been to Monkey Mia and Kalbarri camping twice!!! Never had any problem with reliability. I do not have any problems parking it..it is just as I say has a wide turning circle...and before anyone says its because I am a woman and can't park, my husband totally agrees with me!!!..and the sliding doors make it so much easier getting kids in and out of the car.

Spent another day looking at Kia Grande carnivals & Toyota Taragos :wub:

Just worried a double pushchair wont fit in the Taragos boot? :unsure:

Which double buggy have you got? To be honest, the best way to do this is to take your double buggy with you when you go looking and try getting it in and out of the boot. Then you'll know exactly what you're going to be dealing with.

Which is the best car for a Family of 6 that I can buy in Australia

?

I really like a sliding side door & have been looking at Chrysler Voyagers

What would you recommend please? :wideeyed:

I'm not reading the entire thread but I'll be non-ozzie to say please don't buy a kia carnival. We loved it for the size. Bought a 2005 in 2009 for 14,000 put 5K in within the first year (after we find out head gaskets go notoriously in Kia's.) Ended up selling for scap in 2011 for $1500 so a hefty $17K mistake. Kia said the head gasket problem stopped in 2003's but you will find loads of people like us who had the problem in 2004 and above. I was horrified with customer service and the response from their head office and dealers. They wanted to sell us a new one but wouldn't take part exchange of their own brand.

Liz

I'm not reading the entire thread but I'll be non-ozzie to say please don't buy a kia carnival. We loved it for the size. Bought a 2005 in 2009 for 14,000 put 5K in within the first year (after we find out head gaskets go notoriously in Kia's.) Ended up selling for scap in 2011 for $1500 so a hefty $17K mistake. Kia said the head gasket problem stopped in 2003's but you will find loads of people like us who had the problem in 2004 and above. I was horrified with customer service and the response from their head office and dealers. They wanted to sell us a new one but wouldn't take part exchange of their own brand.

Liz

Thankyou ~ So sorry to hear about your bad experience

I am told the Grand Carnivals are Ok & much newer, also made now by Hyundi

Hope this information is correct? :eek:

Which double buggy have you got? To be honest, the best way to do this is to take your double buggy with you when you go looking and try getting it in and out of the boot. Then you'll know exactly what you're going to be dealing with.

Havent bought it yet! :goofy: But can see that even if it did fit in the Tarago boot, not much else would

Unless anyone else knows better? :wideeyed:

Guest StuckontheCC

Hi,

I have a Mazda CX9 which we bought brand new. We are a tall family so we have enough room in the front for adults and I can sit comfortably in the back and I'm 5'11.

In the second row I have 3 car seats which fit fine and another two fold down seats in the back. I have been able to fit my old double Mclaren no problem and even better is my Phil & Ted sport (which I can reccommend highly as a double buggy).

I can also fit a dog in the boot with the pram so a weeks shopping fits in no problem.

Havent bought it yet! :goofy: But can see that even if it did fit in the Tarago boot, not much else would

Unless anyone else knows better? :wideeyed:

lol, you might want to consider what buggy you want to buy as well then. As the measurements can differ somewhat depending on whether you want side by side or front to back etc. Also they can vary in how much space they take up.

I have a Mountain Buggy Duo for example. It is absolutely fantastic and I love it to bits, super light and great turning circle. I've only ever found one door it won't fit through as well. But....it does take up a fair amount of boot space. Probably would though on any similar sized vehicle unless you go for something like the VW Multivan for more space.

Once you've decided on buggy, you can at least look up the measurements and take a tape measure with you :wink: