Do you ever feel like you've ceased to exist.....

Harpodom

Yep the only person who phones I my dad who gets free international phone calls on talktalk. I get a few comments on facebook but thats it so I might soon delete facebook and bugger to the lot of them!

:laugh:yeah I've just ditched facebook, again....

sorry Mark but it's really a bit pointless

Guest The Pom Queen
:laugh:yeah I've just ditched facebook, again....

sorry Mark but it's really a bit pointless

I think Facebook can be to personal, everyone knows everything about you, who you are where you live and how many times you have been to the toilet:wink:

cheers v

:hug:

I got a lovely email back from my sister, my faith in humanity is largely restored. I'm as much to blame as any of the people I was talking about in the OP. TBH I'm often too busy using forums etc to stop and think about contacting the people I love.

I suppose the lesson, as well as not having too high expections, would be to make a concerted effort to stay in touch

See. :yes:

Gone, but not forgotten.

I think Facebook can be to personal, everyone knows everything about you, who you are where you live and how many times you have been to the toilet:wink:

That's why I'm not on facebook and never will be, must admit not a big fan of it.

Reading Dom's first post made me nostalgic for a time before electronic media. When I travelled and moved to the UK in my early 20's (sometime mid-fifteenth century, can't be more precise) it was all about postcards and those thin blue fold-up letters (aerograms?). Written and posted with little expectation of a reply for a month or so. And always answered eventually because they were personal. And kind of special.

I'm not meaning to be even remotely critical, but facebooking and emailing has created the expectation of instant responses to impersonal communications. I think it's making us less connected. More aware of what's going on in each others lives but actually less connected in real terms.

Bring back the aerogram, I say!

Reading Dom's first post made me nostalgic for a time before electronic media. When I travelled and moved to the UK in my early 20's (sometime mid-fifteenth century, can't be more precise) it was all about postcards and those thin blue fold-up letters (aerograms?). Written and posted with little expectation of a reply for a month or so. And always answered eventually because they were personal. And kind of special.

I'm not meaning to be even remotely critical, but facebooking and emailing has created the expectation of instant responses to impersonal communications. I think it's making us less connected. More aware of what's going on in each others lives but actually less connected in real terms.

Although I am on FB and find it useful for sharing photos etc I do LOVE written cards and letters and do my best to send little packets with small gifts in to friends and people I care about. It really makes me happy to choose the right card and gift and then post it off and imagining the friends at the other end opening it... Love postcards too. :yes:

Guest The Pom Queen

Wow I remember those blue fold up letters does that mean I'm old.:wideeyed:

Guest The Pom Queen
Although I am on FB and find it useful for sharing photos etc I do LOVE written cards and letters and do my best to send little packets with small gifts in to friends and people I care about. It really makes me happy to choose the right card and gift and then post it off and imagining the friends at the other end opening it... Love postcards too. :yes:

My MIL always sends us a parcel once a month, it only has little bits of things in, maybe a few stickers for the kids, a couple of pens, a pair of socks etc, but it surprising how lovely it is to receive them, I suppose I need to tell her more. I don't know, Harpo, you have made me feel guilty now for not keeping in touch with everyone like I should:cry:

It happens to lots of people, and it happened to us, we did the phoning and the writing and we visited, and not a peep from my family, oh family have visited and phoned and are happy for us.

The one thing that happens is when you go back to the UK and visit people think we are going home so they do not have to take us about or show us around etc etc. However when they land on our doorstep to stay we have to take them here and take them there and show them this and show them that was they are on holiday. We are not on holiday when we go back to the UK :laugh:

update on the ceasing to exist scenario. I'm afraid the jury is still out.

not that I'm counting (well, OK I am counting)....but I sent a very long email (sorry don't have a word count but will provide on request) last week to my parents, brother, sister in law, sister, brother in law, and a seperate one for my 3 nieces.....so far, 1 reply (from my sister).

As for the email I sent to friends, well......nuffink

WTF??

not that I'm counting (well, OK I am counting)....but I sent a very long email (sorry don't have a word count but will provide on request) last week to my parents, brother, sister in law, sister, brother in law, and a seperate one for my 3 nieces.....so far, 1 reply (from my sister).

WTF??

Do you not think you are being over sensetive, you moved out there and everyone else is getting on with their lives back home, they will probably reply when they are ready, maybe you should send letters instead as maybe they will realise that a lot more thought has gone into a letter as opposed to an email which takes 30 seconds and then they maybe will realise that you are missing them and would like more contact.

WTF??

Dom, maybe you could try the subject heading "This is the tattslotto office - you have an uncollected prize". That should get a response:biggrin:

Do you not think you are being over sensetive, you moved out there and everyone else is getting on with their lives back home, they will probably reply when they are ready, maybe you should send letters instead as maybe they will realise that a lot more thought has gone into a letter as opposed to an email which takes 30 seconds and then they maybe will realise that you are missing them and would like more contact.

TBH I cannot see the difference between a well worded heart felt email and a hand written letter, apart from the fact that the letter takes a week to get there and when it does, they can't read my writing.

But, yeah, I probably am being over sensitive. I should just tell em all to f@$& off!

.......in the minds of family and friends back in the UK?

For example, emails...

There was a time when I'd take ages to reply to emails from friends etc, basically cos I was lazy and disorganised. Nowadays I'm at the other extreme, if friends email me from the UK, I reply almost immediately and then wait up to 2 or 3 weeks for a one line reply!

Yesterday I sent a very lengthy email to all my family with pics. So far, no response.

For example, Facebook....

I joined this intially with the aim of keeping my family up to date with photos etc of our kids. After 3 years of minimal or no feedback from them to all the photos I've shared, I've pretty much given up.

For example, phonecalls....

I think I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of phonecalls I've had with my brother, likewise my sister and best mates.

I suspect I'm not alone in this. It honestly feels like they've 'moved on'.

Anyone else feel like this?

I think you are right Dom, they've moved on and you are still struggling with the move.

One thing that often prevents people from phoning or emailing is that they feel that because they've not spoken/emailed for a while, they should make it a long one, and so they wait until they've got time for this, which may mean months between calls/emails. It can be worth training yourself and your friends that little and often is fine too.

That's great advice (that I wish I would take).

When we lived in the UK my OH would call sisters every day. Used to drive me nuts at 2p/min. Her view rightly was it is easier to talk to folk today if you know what they did yesterday. Keeps you in touch etc. with a proper day-to-day conversation as opposed to a must-stretch-it-out-for-half-an-hour-as-it-may-be-another-year-before-we-speak-again kinf of call. OK - a bit extreme every day, but some may have family members with whom this is possible and helpful.

And it was reciprocated which meant that often I got to speak to the sisters when they called and the OH was out. "Its good to talk!"