ian360

Australian Spouse Visa For The Polish

Hello guys,

Okay, maybe a slightly complicated scenario. I am British but also have Australian Permanent Residency, however for the last 2.5 years I have been living in Poland. My fiancee is Polish. After we are married we would like to return to Australia so we would have to apply for an Australian Spouse Visa for Weronika. I thought I knew the Australian visa process well having been through it before myself but I am a bit confused here.

Has anybody else tried to do this before? Is it better to apply onshore or offshore? Would I need to supply an assurance of support for her?

Any help would be much appreciated....

Ian

Hi Ian

Unfortunately I am not an agent so cannot help, hopefully it will be straight forward for you, fingers crossed.

Kate

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Thank you for responding Kate. I appreciate it. I see you are in Cairns now but are moving to Melbourne. Where do you prefer - Cairns or Melbourne?

Guest lindon

hi,

im as well in ozzi-polish relationship. We applied offshore in April 2011.

Visa granted end of August.

In the meantime my partner had to leave the uk and come back to Au. I was waiting for my visa in the uk.. looooong 5 months :)

good luck for your plans

hi,

im as well in ozzi-polish relationship. We applied offshore in April 2011.

Visa granted end of August.

In the meantime my partner had to leave the uk and come back to Au. I was waiting for my visa in the uk.. looooong 5 months :)

good luck for your plans

I can imagine... Not a nice situation having to wait. Did you find the whole application process difficult? Why did you partner have to return to Australia earlier than you?

I know we have to submit our application via Berlin and I have been told that they are a lot more strict than the British office.

I am just a bit worried about them asking me for an assurance of support. I am a school teacher and I should not have any problems finding another job when I return to Australia, but although I earn an average salary in Poland (by Polish standards), it is not very much when converted into $AUD. I am a bit worried that that will go against us. If we are asked for an assurance of support, I have no idea who we could ask to help us.

Somebody suggested to me that Weronika should just come to Australia with me on a tourist visa and then we can apply for her spouse visa when in Australia, but I am not even sure if this is against the rules. She wanted to just get a 12 month working holiday originally, so she could work and apply whilst there, but I don't think that Polish passport holders can get a working holiday visa.

I'm really not sure what to do. More thinking to do.

Your partner could apply for a WHV but it is a bit risky when you come to change to a partner visa. It could take a long time to process so she coulld then become an overstayer and be deported or the applciation could be rejected anyway for various reasons. Might as well get the partner visa to start off with.

The assurance of support is there so that you can both live for 2 years without needing any benefits, although she will be eligible for Medicare. My Oh had to fill one in so I think its standard procedure even though I had all of the money and got a job in 2 weeks and ended up supporting him. If you can get a job quickly I don't think you will have too many problems.

Guest lindon

Hey

Now when I have the visa I find the whole procces pretty straightfoward. However, when I was preparing the application and evidences.. I was stressed and worried really a lot..

So I can imagine how you both feel.

My partner had to leave the Uk as his working-holiday visa was due to expire in Febuary. For a while we were thinking of staying in the UK and applying for a new visa for him , on a basis that I am a holder of EU passport. However, finally he decided that he

would have to come back to Au anyway.. He was not very happy in the Uk ( he struggled with getting a job , if he had ..the wages were so low and plus people's mentality..)

So, he left as a first to set up things for us in Au.

I started doing things about visa ( partner 100/309) after he left the uk..so we were already apart at that time.

At the meantime, he spoke to a few imigration agents who said that our application would be rejected as we didnt live together.

extra stress for us!!

They suggested me to go on a tourist or student visa and apply from Au !!

Polish passport holders cannot have Working -holiday visa yet as you have mentioned it.. plus even if.. you have to be under 30 years old to be eligible to apply for it.

Going on a tourist visa is not the best option as you might get a condition 'no further stay' ..plus you cannot work.

Student visa..hmm ..fees for schools are quite high for international students.

Hmm.. Weronika needs to consider as well if she wants to recognise her job in Au.

Work experience from last 24 months is really essential. That, accually made me to stay and wait patiently in the uk.

So, I have been trying to get ready for all exams I will have to take soon in order to be able to practise in Au. (im a pharmacist)

Do you have a booklet about partner migration?

you can download it from www.immi.gov.au. Really helpful.

The worst bit ..I think...was getting declarations, translatinons and certyfing documents .. and quite expensive

Hopefully, my post would give you some ideas..

Now im off to bed..Its so late ... and Im getting a twisted toungue..

:)

pa

I'm not Polish, but I just wanted to say good luck!

We applied offshore via Oz House in London, so no experience of the Embassy in Berlin either (sorry, I'm really not very helpful, am I?) We found the whole thing quite nerve wracking in terms of collating evidence etc - takes a lot of time but if you do it properly you have nothing to worry about - we didn't need an AoS - sent in DH's payslips from last 2 years. I don't think they look in detail at how much you actually earn, just want to see evidence of some income, so that they know that you can support yourself when you get to Aus.

We applied offshore as we felt it was easier to get everything organised upfront rather than applying onshore which costs more, takes longer to be granted, and is technically a breach of the rules if you have come in claiming to be a tourist. We know a couple (just friends of friends) who came onshore with the wife claiming to be a tourist, then applied onshore - it took ages and she was stuck at home, not able to work, and having to leave the country every 3 months to restart her tourist visa. It made us glad we have done it all offshore, but I don't know how long Berlin takes to process.

applied for 309/100 19/1/10, 309 VISA GRANTED 28/4 - arrived Sydney 4/2/11, second stage visa app lodged Jan 2012, PR visa (100) GRANTED 7/6/12, now waiting for babywellie to come join us!:biggrin:

Thank you for responding. It's great to hear so many success stories. Wellieboots, I really hope that we also don't get asked for an AOS. We have been told that the Berlin office are a lot stricter than the London office and I know that they have asked for additional evidence which is not required when submitting through London. It must have been such great feeling for you when you were accepted.

Lindon, it's great that you managed to get around the many obstacles that you faced. How did you manage to get around the fact that you guys were not living together? Did your husband have to write a declaration explaining his reasons for you guys being apart? What evidence did you supply to prove that your relationship is genuine? We are unsure as to exactly what we should supply other than written declarations and a joint tenancy agreement, etc.

Thank you for responding. It's great to hear so many success stories. Wellieboots, I really hope that we also don't get asked for an AOS. We have been told that the Berlin office are a lot stricter than the London office and I know that they have asked for additional evidence which is not required when submitting through London. It must have been such great feeling for you when you were accepted.

Hi

I have a little experience with the Berlin office. I have also applied for my visa through them and I am not sure if they are stricter but it seems to take a LOT longer then the London office. It seems like the 309 visa is granted in London within 4-5 months. After 4 months I still had not got a CO and ended up calling them only to be told I did have a CO but they had not started to look at my application yet hence I had not been advised of my CO. I was told initially not to frontload my application with the Health Check, it took 5 months before I was asked to submit a Health Check. I am not sure about the AOS we haven't been asked for that......yet. So all in all, not sure if they are stricter, but it does take longer. Guess they cover a larger area so patience is required.

Good luck

Melbourne

Hi

I have a little experience with the Berlin office. I have also applied for my visa through them and I am not sure if they are stricter but it seems to take a LOT longer then the London office. It seems like the 309 visa is granted in London within 4-5 months. After 4 months I still had not got a CO and ended up calling them only to be told I did have a CO but they had not started to look at my application yet hence I had not been advised of my CO. I was told initially not to frontload my application with the Health Check, it took 5 months before I was asked to submit a Health Check. I am not sure about the AOS we haven't been asked for that......yet. So all in all, not sure if they are stricter, but it does take longer. Guess they cover a larger area so patience is required.

Good luck

Ah wow! Please keep me updated on that. It does seem strange that after 4 months they had not even looked at your application. It's good that they have asked for your health check though. I know when I was applying for my Aussie Skilled Independent Visa 10 years ago, my agent told me that when they ask for your health check you basically have the visa because this is the last thing that they need. So hopefully it will be coming soon.