Mungo National Park

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

art-Lake-Mungo-National-Park-420x0.jpg

Has anyone ever been to Mungo National Park, it is somewhere I always wanted to go but never got around to it.

Getting there

Virgin Australia and Qantaslink fly to Mildura from Melbourne (about 1hr, from $235 on Qantaslink, low-season return); Sydney passengers fly via Melbourne. Mungo National Park is about 110 kilometres north-east of Mildura, near Wentworth in NSW. A four-wheel-drive is recommended in wet weather for entrance to the park.

Staying there

Just outside the park, Mungo Lodge is the area's high-end option. Deluxe cabins for two are $260 a night. A self-contained cabin for four adults or two adults and two children is $410 a night. Phone ahead to confirm road conditions; phone (03) 5029 7297; mungolodge.com.au.

Turlee Station Stay is a working station near Mungo that offers four-star "bush cabins" for $150 a night. Shearers' quarters cost from $50 a night. Camping is $8. Phone 1800 991 995; see turleestationstay.com.au.

In Mungo National Park are shearers' quarters near the visitors' centre capable of housing up to 26 people. $30 an adult; $10 a child. Camping at Main Camp or Belah Camp on the self-guided driving track is $5 a night. phone (03) 5021 8900.

Things to do

Aboriginal Discovery Tours are conducted by the three tribal groups taking in the Walls of China or a Foreshore Walk and placing Mungo in its context of indigenous history. Bookings are essential; phone (03) 5021 8904; see discovermungo.com.au.

Harry Nanya Tours through Mungo National Park operate in daytime April-October, then switch to sunset tours in November-March because of temperatures. From $160 a person, including park fees, morning tea and a buffet-style picnic lunch or dinner; phone (03) 5027 2076; see harrynanyatours.com.au.

Nearby Wentworth is also worth a visit for its historic buildings, the Murray and Darling rivers, and the famous Perry Sandhills. Artback Gallery and Cafe exhibits works from local artists and serves the best coffee in town; phone (03) 5027 2298; see artbackaustralia.com.au.

More information

See visitmungo.com.au.

Guest The Pom Queen
No, but thinking about it for next trip...along with going fossicking out Broken Hill way.

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. But then, barra fishing on the Keep River is more exciting.:laugh:

The boys want to do fossicking, where is the best place up here? Do you need an expensive metal detector?

Guest The Pom Queen
Naaar just get a camel to pick you up LOL. Paul says we'll take LOTS of pictures for you lol. He's a meanie isn't he :P

You are both so cruel:cry::cry:

The boys want to do fossicking, where is the best place up here? Do you need an expensive metal detector?

Depends on what they want to fossick for. An exxy detector is not always the best thing, mineral specimens in the old mullock heaps won't ping, except if they contain metal.

Personally, I fossick for crystaised specimens like so:

Picture300.jpg

Some like to look for the old purple bottles, etc.

The old mine sites around the Atherton Tablelands should be good to check out.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
Depends on what they want to fossick for. An exxy detector is not always the best thing, mineral specimens in the old mullock heaps won't ping, except if they contain metal.

Picture300.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

What tools would we need, I have no idea on fossicking, my little boy would love a crystal like that, also do you need a license, sorry for all the questions Bob.

Guest The Pom Queen
I've been! It is AMAZING and you hear so little of it, it's crazy! Can get HOT HOT HOT in the summer though - well worth a visit.:biggrin:

So is it as beautiful as the photos?

What tools would we need, I have no idea on fossicking, my little boy would love a crystal like that, also do you need a license, sorry for all the questions Bob.

Tools would include a small spade/shovel, a geo pick and a small mesh sieve, but not necessarily as important.

A fossicking permit :

http://www.nqminersden.com/Fossicking_Licences.htm

Have a squiz at Mount Surprise for fossicking for topaz.icon14.gif

http://www.thegemden.com.au/

A decent topaz will cut into a very nice gem:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
Tools would include a small spade/shovel, a geo pick and a small mesh sieve, but not necessarily as important.

A fossicking permit :

http://www.nqminersden.com/Fossicking_Licences.htm

Have a squiz at Mount Surprise for fossicking for topaz.icon14.gif

http://www.thegemden.com.au/

A decent topaz will cut into a very nice gem:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks Bob you are a star:notworthy:

Guest The Pom Queen

Picture300.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Bobj I have my young one looking over my shoulder and he is asking where you found this.:notworthy:

Hi Bobj I have my young one looking over my shoulder and he is asking where you found this.:notworthy:

It was found in the middle of the Pilbara, Western Australia, while we were building the Robe River Iron Ore Railway. A quartz geode was opened up by a 'dozer. The geode had an estimated 100lbs of crystals of that quality and better! I gave most away and swapped the rest!

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
It was found in the middle of the Pilbara, Western Australia, while we were building the Robe River Iron Ore Railway. A quartz geode was opened up by a 'dozer. The geode had an estimated 100lbs of crystals of that quality and better! I gave most away and swapped the rest!

Cheers, Bobj.

Damn you could have said somewhere closer to home:wideeyed: :wubclub::wink: