4.30 pm and off to Neilsen Park, Vaucluse, for a swim

MARYROSE02

I won't take the quickest route, there or back, as I like to meander through Surry Hills, along Oxford Street, Darlo, maybe via The X, seeing what is happening on the 'mean 'streets', maybe via Woolahra, find my way to New South Head Road which switchbacks up and down through Double Bay, Rose Bay, Vaucluse where it meets up with Old South Head Road (built originally two hundred years ago by one of the British regiments.) then down to Watsons Bay. There are somle spectacular views over the Heads there. It would be a right scenic route, if you did not need to keep all your wits about you in four and sometimes six lanes of traffic.

Neilsen Park is a wonderful place too - go there ASAP if you haven't done it yet - the 325? bus goes from the city and/or Bondi Jn? Safe swimming inside the net at the (hopefully not) aptly named Shark Bay, bush setting (largest remnant of bush left in the City on the south side I think?) and historic homes. Definitely my favourite beach I think though I do like Redleaf, Watsons Bay and Clovelly too.

My favourite spot too, plenty of shade/grass if you aren't keen on the sand, have noticed over the last 4 years how busy it has gotten with parking in the summer though - nightmare

My favourite spot too, plenty of shade/grass if you aren't keen on the sand, have noticed over the last 4 years how busy it has gotten with parking in the summer though - nightmare

The distance I have to park from the main entrance is a good barometer of how crowded it is. At the moment, I can usually get the closest space but if I'm looking for somewhere on New South Head Road I know it's a bad one! I usually go late in the arvo when the spaces are starting to appear so it's not a problem. It's difficult for families though, trying to get away from the heat in the 'burbs.

The all day shade is good too as there are not many beaches around like that. I can't think of any come to think of it - maybe Parsley Bay which has some trees?

I like the way that Neilsen has the park, the bush & the historic houses. I sometimes leave my stuff and wander off for an hour.

I went to Redleaf last night, couldn't be bothered to drive the extra 5K to Neilsen. I like Redleaf too and it's OK to park after 5.30pm I heard a Kookaburra too, that's a sound you don't forget!