State Sponsorship - do I have to live in that state?

Guest CCMC

Hi all

We have been lucky enough to have been granted a Skilled (migrant) (class VE) subclass 176 (skilled-sponsored) visa.

We were sponsored by Adelaide but not sure if that means we are bound to live and work in Adelaide. Information on the interent is a little vague. We have been told it is only a moral obligation to live and work there, but wondered if there would be any fall out from immigration if we didn't live / work there. A 176 visa means we can live and work anywhere in australia but worried about the state sponsorship meaning more that just giving us the points we needed??

Arrrgghhhh can anybody help clarify this? Has anyone done it??:mad:

We really want to live in Perth where my family is.

Thanks x :hug:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you wanted to live in Perth all along why apply for state sponsorship elsewhere taking one of the limited sponsored places from someone who did actually want to live there and is still waiting for their visa?

That said it is a moral obligation and there is nothing in law to force you to live there. Hopefully that will change in the future.

The Idea if any given state gives you a state sponsor, Is that you are willing to live in that state for a min of 2 years. did you not sign to say you would stay in that state?

I'm with _shel on this one, if you wanted to go to WA then why didn't you get sponsorship from them ?

Like she said it takes places away from others who really wanted to go to SA.

It is only a 2 year committment which will be gone so quick, then you can move to Perth with a clear conscience.

I would really like to see this "state hopping" clamped down on but until then it's your choice !

Justin :wink:

I'm with _shel on this one, if you wanted to go to WA then why didn't you get sponsorship from them ?

Like she said it takes places away from others who really wanted to go to SA.

It is only a 2 year committment which will be gone so quick, then you can move to Perth with a clear conscience.

I would really like to see this "state hopping" clamped down on but until then it's your choice !

Justin :wink:

i very much agree also, i have taken the 175 long route to PR because we wanted to have a choice of where to live, i could have easily "queue jumped" with SS but it's wrong.

I really wish DIAC would sort it out and make it compulsory to stay in that SS state, unless you have VERY strong reasons as to why you can't!!:chatterbox::no:

Guest Coxy04

I agree with the majority opinions on here. If you are lucky enough to be granted SS for Adelaide, then there is a moral (not legal) obligation to live for minimum 2 years in that state (so our agent says). There are so many people out there desperate for a shot at this, that to take a place that could have been there's, just so you could get visa with SS from 'somewhere', is morally wrong, sorry. You are informed that you must keep the state you lodged SS with, informed of your whereabouts and plans. Out of interest, why did you apply for Adelaide, if wanted to settle in different state?? :)

Chris,

You seem to already live in WA so have already "broken" your agreement with SA. A real shame as Electrician is on the WA SS list and has been for quite a while.

The least you could do is contact the SA migration service and advise you no longer require sponsorship.

Guest ninauk

Where do i start with state sponsorship?

I can be on the list as an office manager. I have the experience and hope to go for a WA (perth) state sponsorship... any help is appreciated

The DIAC can not make it compulsory to stay in the state. The a PR visa, and there is not many circumstances a PR visa can be cancelled! Even if somone goes down the employer PR route and doesnt stay in there job for the 2 year contract they signed, its very unlikely that the PR visa will be cancelled, because of this.

There is a visa that makes it compulsory to stay in the state that sponsored you for 2 years - 475 Provisional Visa. You can only get PR if you stay for 2 years and work full time for 1.

Altho I dont agree with not complying with the SS moral obligation, if for reasons the being in the state that sponsored you doesnt work out, you can leave.

THe OP obviously did not intend to not go to the State that sponsored him, or he wouldnt be asking the question now!

People post questions on here to get advice - not for people to have a go at them and be jumping up and down on their moral high horse!!

Where do i start with state sponsorship?

I can be on the list as an office manager. I have the experience and hope to go for a WA (perth) state sponsorship... any help is appreciated

First thing you need to do is get your skills assessed by the appropriate authority as listed

on the SOL, (VETASSESS in your case)

Once you have this simply go to http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/skilledmigration/Pages/SkilledMigrationWA.aspx

where you can apply online for SS.

Once you have the SS you can apply for your 176 visa (you will need to do an IELTS test also I think)

Justin:wink:

People post questions on here to get advice - not for people to have a go at them and be jumping up and down on their moral high horse!!

A good point for people to keep in mind when replying here :)

The issue of state hopping is a contentious one and I realise feelings can run high on the subject, but I do hope this thread can continue to remain civil and useful.

And if the OP hasn't already, as has been suggested elsewhere, informing the SA migration people is probably the decent thing to do.

Just wanted to point out - Adelaide is the STATE CAPITAL, its a city, its not the State itself - that would be South Australia and is far far far bigger than just the Metropolitian area of Adelaide. You are sponsored by SOUTH AUSTRALIA, not Adelaide. Just wanted to clear that up (if you don't even want to live there, you could at least be polite enough to learn the geographical nature of the place. Humpf :laugh: )

(Sorry for the shouting, just wanted it to be ultra clear about the differences between Adelaide and South Australia. All of SA is classed as regional btw for people going down that visa route :) )

Just found this on another website, a person who emailed their sponsored state.

Dear *******

I refer to your email which has been forwarded to me for response. Immigration SA is disappointed that having granted you sponsorship to facilitate visa grant, you are considering moving from South Australia.

Permanent Visa

While legally the Skilled Sponsored Visa (subclass 137/176/886), allows you to live and work anywhere in Australia, you are reminded that sponsorship was granted to enable you to obtain a permanent visa on the basis that you had indicated that you were genuine in your commitment and interest to live and work in South Australia for at least two years. Through sponsorship from South Australia you were granted a permanent visa by Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).

You will recall that you had signed a Declaration in the course of the sponsorship application indicating that you would migrate to and live in South Australia for at least two years. Through sponsorship from South Australia you were granted the appropriate visa by Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). Without this sponsorship you would not have been granted this visa. We can only question if the information provided in your application was genuine.

Your Online application indicated that:

Please detail what sort of research you conducted and your understanding and own analysis of the employment prospects and opportunities that may exist for you in South Australia. I have more than 5 years of experience as a Toolmaker. This occupation is in demand in both metropolitan and regional South Australia. I am confident to get good job in my occupation in South Australia. There are so many employment agencies in South Australia and I contact these employment agencies for job. I have some friends in South Australia and they agreed to give us every kind of support.

What research have you undertaken of the job market in South Australia outside of your nominated occupation? Detail what sort of research you conducted and your understanding and own analysis of the other employment prospects and opportunities that may exist for you in South Australia. I have more than 5 years of experience as a Toolmaker. According to skills shortage in South Australia, my occupation is in demand in both metropolitan and regional South Australia. There are so many jobs in toolmaking / Machinist etc. in South Australia. I am confident to get good job in my field in South Australia. I have some friends in South Australia and they agreed to give us every kind of support.

One of the objectives of these State Sponsored schemes is to disperse migrants to areas that sponsor them. By migrants not settling in these areas, the objective of this visa program is being compromised.

Having granted you sponsorship, it would be counter-productive for Immigration SA to now agree for you not to settle in South Australia. We hope that you will consider your moral obligation and the intent and goodwill in which sponsorship was granted.

We advise you to visit/ revisit the employment services to seek more assistance in securing suitable employment. Ring 1800 658 887 to make an appointment. However, ultimately, if you do decide to move, you should let Immigration SA know by ringing us on 8303 2420 so that we can update our records accordingly and not contact you further.

Manager - General Skilled Migration

Immigration South Australia

Department of Trade and Economic Development

regards

Altho I dont agree with not complying with the SS moral obligation, if for reasons the being in the state that sponsored you doesnt work out, you can leave.

THe OP obviously did not intend to not go to the State that sponsored him, or he wouldnt be asking the question now!

I have given advice in the fact that is a "moral" comittment. I was simply reminding the OP of the obligations he agreed to when signing the SS and the implications of breaking this agreement on others.

I don't see this as "having a go" ! :wacko:

I'm not saying that anyone has to stay in that state, but the reasons not to should be "exceptional".

Now I don't know if the OP has started in SA and had trouble finding work (which sounds like a good reason to try WA) but he mentions having family already in Perth, were they there when he applied for the SS and visa ?

Possibility of having a black mark against your name for further applications for visas. I would stick to my moral obligation and fulfil my initial visa requirements. Burning bridges in all that...

It also gives you the chance to see and live in another state. You never know you might like it there.

I have given advice in the fact that is a "moral" comittment. I was simply reminding the OP of the obligations he agreed to when signing the SS and the implications of breaking this agreement on others.

I don't see this as "having a go" ! :wacko:

I'm not saying that anyone has to stay in that state, but the reasons not to should be "exceptional".

Now I don't know if the OP has started in SA and had trouble finding work (which sounds like a good reason to try WA) but he mentions having family already in Perth, were they there when he applied for the SS and visa ?

Chardy - I wasnt pointing the finger at 1 person directly but the OP asked a question and there were 5 people who responded all singing from the same hymn sheet - that he has basically stolen a SS place from someone else?? But Ive never heard of a State running out of places yet.

After 1 Jul 2012 this problem will exist less for reasons for que jumping, as you have 2 months to apply for visa when get invitation also you will have to be invited to apply SS too. I would reckon that the backlog of cat 4 appplications by the first invitations should be cleared, and shouldnt be much difference between cat 3 and 4.

Im sure the DIAC are aware of the loop hole, but as I said there is little that they can do on the matter. - Cancel your visa - not give you citizanship?? Unlikely

Chardy - I wasnt pointing the finger at 1 person directly but the OP asked a question and there were 5 people who responded all singing from the same hymn sheet - that he has basically stolen a SS place from someone else?? But Ive never heard of a State running out of places yet.

After 1 Jul 2012 this problem will exist less for reasons for que jumping, as you have 2 months to apply for visa when get invitation also you will have to be invited to apply SS too. I would reckon that the backlog of cat 4 appplications by the first invitations should be cleared, and shouldnt be much difference between cat 3 and 4.

Im sure the DIAC are aware of the loop hole, but as I said there is little that they can do on the matter. - Cancel your visa - not give you citizanship?? Unlikely

No worries, I do try to keep off my high horse where possible ! :biglaugh:

Like we were told by the mod, it is a contentious issue :yes:

Unfortunately you tend not to hear of places running out but certain occupations are limited in numbers and disappear off state lists randomly so there is a chance of this affecting others.

Maybe DIAC should have a "pay to move state" fee to try to put people off doing this (unless evidence is supplied to justify it) ?

The new system should certainly improve the situation, fingers crossed !:wink:

C But Ive never heard of a State running out of places yet.

Quite a few people have had their SS application declined due to all the places in their profession going, so it happens quite a lot in SA from the chatter on the Poms in Adelaide forums, its quite gutting that when you apply there are places, but in the few weeks it takes for it to be processed it goes to 'full' :(

Hi CCMC

When I started the visa process I wanted WA but unfortunately they didn't want my skills at the time, I settled on SA after doing lots of research on the states available to me. We looked upon SA as a big adventure and give us somewhere else to compare to WA!!! My SA SS had been in for 3 weeks then SA announced they had filled the years quota for my occupation, I was gutted so we waited for the new SMP with they finally released a few weeks back and I was still not on, but fate stepped in the same day and WA put my occupation back on Wooo hooo :)

Funny thing is I feel slightly sad I won't be getting my SA adventure!!

This while process is a rollercoaster and what ever it chucks at you just go with it, treat it as a adventure and experience, we all get where we are meant to be in the end!

Good luck :)

Maybe it's useful to remember that a 176 only lasts 5 years. Then you have to request a RRV or maybe the citizenship.

I would not risk an unglorious come-back to europe for having not even tried to settle in the sponsor state.

Maybe it's useful to remember that a 176 only lasts 5 years. Then you have to request a RRV or maybe the citizenship.

I would not risk an unglorious come-back to europe for having not even tried to settle in the sponsor state.

Could you explain this as I thought a 176 visa gave you PR - permanent residence !:wacko:

Could you explain this as I thought a 176 visa gave you PR - permanent residence !:wacko:

It does give you PR, but it also only lasts in itself for 5 years. After that, you have the right to remain in Aus permanently (ie the PR bit) but if you want to leave Aus for any reason (for eg a holiday) then you either need to apply for a Resident return visa (ie a bit of paper so they let you back in) or apply for citizenship and an Aussie passport. Its just red tape at the end of the day, but that's how the modern world works. If you are coming from the UK you would have dual citizenship with GB and Aus if you decided to take up citizenship, so might as well imho.

And you do, but after 5 years it expires.

If you are in, then you can stay as long as you live.

If you go overseas then to come back you need a REsident Return Visa, and you have to demonstrate that you lived continuously in oz and stuff like that.

The other option is to apply for citizenship after the 4th year of residence in australia, but who knows what they are going to ask you.

Probably it won't be an issue, but why to risk? I would do this only after 6-7 months in the unfortunate case that I still don't find a job, surely not in the first instance.