Centralish Perth...which suburb?

Expatmummy

Hi,

Well 2 out of 3 of us have finally arrived (hubby is stuck working out his notice). We have sorted out a school for our daughter, and both she and hubby will be needing to go quite central every day. So I've been looking at a 10K radius going as far north as Scarborough for a long term rental for us, but there is such alot of houses in so many areas with hugely varying prices that any suggestions for a pleasent neighbourhood, not necessarily close to the beach, shops, cafes etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Sam:confused:

Hi, which school have you got into?? we are looking around the Subiaco area, my wife likes the look of Churchlands school, try to get that sort of area, Wembley/ Daglish etc for the first 6 months, get them into school, I have to get a job, then see where we want to be, but by that time schools may dictate. My wife will initially be working in Subiaco, so we wanted to be near there until we get our feet under the table.

Still waiting on visas etc, but looking at January....

Good luck!

Hi,

She is going to PLC, but she is still primary age. My friends kids go to Churchlands High and say it is brilliant, they worked really hard to make sure the kids settled in and we're in the right form groups etc. But it is a very in demand school, and they had a tough job finding a nice house to rent and then to buy in the catchment area.

Another friend has told me that Daglish/Shenton Park and parts of Claremont are considered "wrong side of the tracks", probably more important if your buying, but something the Aussies are very hot on. I think I'm just going to have to drive round all the available houses and try and judge each one on it's merits, went to look at one the other day which looked ok on paper but was horrid in reality!

Sam

Hmm, that's interesting, we're looking at good schools then trying to fit houses round that!! Glad to hear positives re Churchlands. My two are 11 & 9, my eldest son has just gone to secondary school here, but I think will return to primary in Aus (oh the shame...!). to be honest, I'm on imformation overload at the moment, a million and one things still to do it seems! But I'm sure we'll be ok when we get there and get into some kind of normality.

Chris:biggrin:

We are in a short term rental, which seems to be set up specifically for immigrants, small, tired furniture, out in the sticks, but clean and reasonabley (?!) priced. We've got this for 6 weeks so I've got to find the long-term one quite quickly, nothing like a little pressure. It doesn't help that my OH is stuck in the Middle East working out his notice, lots of time is being spent on the phone and on real estate websites.

I would suggest that you don't rent long term from the internet, because some of the photos are very deceptive, rent short term furnished, then you have time to look around and get a feel for the right area for you. The only problem is the short terms get booked up really quickly, our landlord has over 20 properties set up like this and they are booked up over 6 months in advance, and don't expect too much from them!

Sam

Guest trigger

Dont know what it is but most Aussies say the best suberbs to live are south of the river. Ok it seems that most Brits live North of the river in the new up and comeing suberbs from north Perth up to and past Hilarys Harbour and Jundaloop seems to be growing very quickly.Peole say it will be another city! we went out in xmas 2007 and was also there last June. And we noticed a hell of a difference in how much more expensive it was and how much busier thing where. Would be nice to see people view regarding north / south of the river and any views on Applecross area etc as at present our daughter is going there when we arrive. If we sell the House. PLAN B in our thoughts.

R and J

yeah I noticed the same sort of trend, with alot of brits just stayin together north of perth, wouldnt be surprised to see prices would be higher there. My hubby wants south of river n I want north but i guess will have to see what we can get for our budget

Hi,

She is going to PLC, but she is still primary age. My friends kids go to Churchlands High and say it is brilliant, they worked really hard to make sure the kids settled in and we're in the right form groups etc. But it is a very in demand school, and they had a tough job finding a nice house to rent and then to buy in the catchment area.

Another friend has told me that Daglish/Shenton Park and parts of Claremont are considered "wrong side of the tracks", probably more important if your buying, but something the Aussies are very hot on. I think I'm just going to have to drive round all the available houses and try and judge each one on it's merits, went to look at one the other day which looked ok on paper but was horrid in reality!

Sam

I don't think I'd be interested in knowing anyone who considered any part of Claremont or Shenton Park to be undesirable. They're great suburbs. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably has more money than is good for them and probably wants to have a good think about what's important in life.

As they say - the older the money - the harder it is to see.

Hi,

Just repeating advice from a friend who has lived in Perth for a long time. There are cerain areas of all suburbs which are considered better than others for no obvious reason and the house prices back this up. As for Claremont, I've spent a long time driving around and there is a definate divide of nice and not so nice! Saying all that I've been lucky enough to get a place in Mount Claremont which gives us a school run of 10-15 mins which is the important thing!