Parents of poms in oz!

Fisher1

I am a parent of a 'pom in oz' We (husband and I) have been out three times and love it there. We would seriously think about emigrating ourselves (always supposing it was possible to get the necessary visas etc.) but my very elderly mother makes this unthinkable for the moment.

I am wondering if there are any other parents in a similar position who, while not wishing / not able to take the plunge and emmigrate, would be interested in swapping information thoughts etc.

For example, I found out only recently (through poms in oz) that Amazon now deliver to Australia. There must be lots of useful information to share, not to mention cheap (ha ha I mean less expensive) flight news and of course accomodation information. Our daughter hasnt got room to put us up, so we are thinking of trying house swap next time to keep the costs down ... has anyone tried this?

Is there anybody there? :-)

Hello Fisher 1

We are in a similar position, but our reason for not doing anything at the moment are our 2 granddaughters here (only 8months old and 3 years old)

We are just about to go for the 7th time! Expensive....yes! Got to do it ......yes!! Grandson out there in Sydney, he is 16 months old.

Although we aren't (yet) applying for visas, the most helpful thread on here is The Brand new PIO Parents visa thread in Migration section.

The people on there are a mine of information and suggestions, you'll soon get to know who is who, and I'm sure someone will give you help as you go on.

As far as house swapping, I did go down that road, but couldn't get the times right, as we are going for 10 weeks this time!! HomeExchange.com and aussiehouseswap.com.au were two of the sites I looked at. A google search will pick up more.

Another option is aussiehousesitters.com.au where you pay a one off payment and then apply to sit in others houses while they are away. Again this didn't quite work out for us, but you can get details sent to you with no obligation. Worth a look!

I know exactly how you feel about wanting to go, but not being able to. In fact, I have spent the afternoon torturing myself looking at homes on domain.com.au and seeing just what we could get over there. Silly eh?? At least we have had a taste of their weather for the last few days.

Hope you enjoy PIO and try out the parents visa thread.

Cheers Pam

Hallo Poshslice

I am cheered to have proof that we are not alone! Seriously want to be in Sydney and ney too, and have visited those property sites! Last time we were there we met a couple who had built a home in Adelaide - they had no 1 son to mind UK home for one half of the year and no2 son to mind the Oz home for the other half - hadnt had a Winter for nearly ten years - dream existence :-)

Back to reality - I will try the thread you suggested, and the house swap sites. Some sites now do non-simultaneous swaps which I think might solve timing issues.

I will also investigate the other thread - thought it was just for people who were about to jump ship.

Thanks for the reply

Kath