Initial Entry Date - Coming back to Australia after Initial Entry on 20-Nov-2010

kimran

*** Initial Entry Date - Coming back to Australia after Initial Entry on 20-NOV-2010 ***

Hi Friends,

My family (Me, Wife & my Kid) was issued a Skilled Independent Migrant Visa (VE 175) on 22-JUNE-2010 and our initial entry date was 18-FEB-2011. It is a 5 Years Multiple Entry Permanent Resident visa valid till 22-JUNE-2015 where in we can live in Australia indefinately.

I just needed to confirm something because I think it's making me crazy. Our initial entry date was 18-FEB-2011 & we were not prepared for a immediate permanent move to Australia due to family issues & financial problems. In order to keep our visa's active & to activate it, we planned for a week's vacation to Melbourne and we travelled to Australia on 20-NOV-2010 & returned back to India on 28-NOV-2010. Have we met the "Initial Entry Date" requirements?

Now, I have decided to move to Australia in January 2012 as things are stable now. I just want to know whether I can go back to Australia on the same visa?

It would be really great if someone can advice me on this.

Regards,

Imran

Have we met the "Initial Entry Date" requirements?

Yes

Now, I have decided to move to Australia in January 2012 as things are stable now. I just want to know whether I can go back to Australia on the same visa?

yes

Your visa likely says - Inital entry must not be made after 18-Feb-2011, you have 12 months to enter Australia to validate your visa from date of medicas or PCC.

As your medicals were done in Feb 2010, but visa not issued till Jun 2010, this is the reason for the 2 different dates on your visa.

As long as you go back to Australia before 22 jun 2015 your visa is still valid.

Dear Friend: Thanks for the quick & prompt reply. My visa says like this:

INITIAL ENTRY BY 18-FEB-2011.

GRANTED 22-JUN-2010, MUTIPLE TRAVEL. MUST NOT ARRIVE AFTER 22-JUN-2015.

HOLDER(S) PERMITTED TO REMAIN IN AUSTRALIA INDEFINITELY.

Regards

Imran

I hate to impose on someone else's question, but I have another question regarding this same topic:

What would happen after June 2015? Why is that date there if the visa is permanent? Also, once someone makes an initial entry, how is that recorded? Is there someone you have to see, or does it happen automatically when you arrive at the airport?

Guest guest41018
I hate to impose on someone else's question, but I have another question regarding this same topic:

What would happen after June 2015? Why is that date there if the visa is permanent? Also, once someone makes an initial entry, how is that recorded? Is there someone you have to see, or does it happen automatically when you arrive at the airport?

It's a good question and well worth asking. We found ourselves in a similar situation this year when our visa was granted. Basically, you only have to touchdown in Australia and the visa is validated. We too were concerned about this whilst there, given that all we got in our passports was a stamp that we had entered Australian passport control - no fanfare, nothing. We were concerned about whether this constituted validation, did we need to keep records of our travel for that trip etc.. ? We went into one of the many DIAC offices during our trip and asked them about this as we wanted to make sure there was no issue later on. We gave them the passports and they looked on their system and it turns out that the airports and DIAC computers are cross-referenced and our entry into Australia was logged on the system which they showed us. I would suggest that if you have any concerns, probably better to be safe than sorry and the DIAC staff seem very happy to help (especially to clients who speak fluent English!).

There is a few options for after Jun 2015.

1 - if you have lived in Ausralia for 4 years, and are eligable, you would apply for citizanship.

2- if you are living in Australia and are not going overseas, do nothing, your are PR.

3 - If you have lived for at least 2 years in Australia, after visa expires and want to go overseas you can apply for 5 year RRV (resident return visa)

4 - the most difficult one to get, if you have been in Australia a minimum of 1 day in the last 5 years, if you can prove substantial ties to Australia, you may get 3 month RRV.