Transferring Irish Drivers Lic to WA Licence...help

Guest Sue1203

Guest Sue1203

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can help...have been in WA 2mths now on 176 PR visa and went to transfer my Irish licence over to a WA Licence and the lady behind the counter advised that I need a visa label or visa stamp in my passport but I advised her that we don't get them as it is done Electronically.

Can anyone please advise if they have transferred licence over and if so did you need a label or stamp or how did you do it? If I need a visa stamp or visa label, how do I go about doing it.

Also anyone need any help or advice about moving over, jobs, cost of living etc, please let me know.

Many thanks

Sue

xx

Guest Sue1203

Hi ya

Yeah showed it all and she then said that it states that the passport country may require you to have a label or stamp in your passport but I was telling her that meant the country you are from i.e. Ireland and that we don't require one as it is done electronically but she said it meant the country you were living in??? Go figure....

Going to ring visa people in the morning and see what happens...I thought you could only drive on your Irish licence for 3mths and if you didn't change over, you had to sit a test again???

S

x

I heard 3 months alright but not sitting the test again.

Let me know how you get on I'll have to change it over eventually.

Do they keep your Irish licence? I don't really want to part with it as with going home on holidays or if we decided to go home I'd need it.

Look like we'll be in Perth in the new year fingers crossed can't wait to get out of Sydney

Guest Sue1203

hi ya

Will let you know once I get sorted...do you not like Sydney?? Perth I have to say is relaxing and so laid back...what work do you do??

S

x

I can't imagine they keep your old one, there is no benefit to them in doing that. I know in the UAE they merely took down the details of my license and issued me with a UAE license which they really shouldn't have since I rather naughtily gave them my provisional, they didn't know the difference!!

However, proud to say that I PASSED my driving test yesterday!!! Yay!

Guest Sue1203

There are a load of medical receptionist jobs out here, I am a PA but I am actually doing reception work as I don't want any dramas and when its time to go home, just switch off my computer and I am gone whereas if I work as a PA, yeah its brill money but then you have the stress with it!!!

lets know when you are coming and if can help at all with setting you up in accomodation as I know it is so hard to get one and also you are better off going to see the rentals as what you see on the websites to what you actually see are completely different.

S

x

Guest whayaaat

Hi all,

Just to give my insight although I am in Victoria. Booked an appointment with Vic roads, they didn't need any visa label, was on Work Holiday Visa at the time. They took some details , gave back the Irish license, took photo, I paid fee and Vic license was posted out. It was so simple I couldn't believe it. Also it is an extremely handy form of id for wanting to do anything here (even posting parcels)because it has your address, photo and it fits in the wallet( not like the Irish fold out!!)

Another thing is, even if you dont need a visa label and they are insisting you have one for the license, all you need to do is go to the dept of immigration where you are and they print one out there and then. Although you might be faced with a bit of a queue!!

I can't imagine they keep your old one, there is no benefit to them in doing that. I know in the UAE they merely took down the details of my license and issued me with a UAE license which they really shouldn't have since I rather naughtily gave them my provisional, they didn't know the difference!!

However, proud to say that I PASSED my driving test yesterday!!! Yay!

Congrats Chiara!!!!! Well done you!

Karen x

There are a load of medical receptionist jobs out here, I am a PA but I am actually doing reception work as I don't want any dramas and when its time to go home, just switch off my computer and I am gone whereas if I work as a PA, yeah its brill money but then you have the stress with it!!!

lets know when you are coming and if can help at all with setting you up in accomodation as I know it is so hard to get one and also you are better off going to see the rentals as what you see on the websites to what you actually see are completely different.

S

x

Cheers Sue I appreciate that. Where are you living? We were told to look at joondalup , ocean reef, etc. I need a 4 bed and not too many of them on offer as I'm already looking at areas. The thoughts of sorting out schools again will be a nightmare but needs must.