Salary offered Vs Cost of living in Perth

Guest jeffxx

Guest jeffxx

Hi,

I have been offered a salary of $108000 as an IT Manager in Perth. Would that comfortably support myself, my wife and our one year old son? And does anyone know if that's a good salary for the job type?

Thanks in advance

is that inc super ie minus 9%.. or is that after super?

I know its a bit of "how long is a piece of string".. but over 100K after super should be doing ok

Do you have LAFHA as well?.. if so.. yep you should be fine

Are you going to rent or buy?

there are loads of threads with various costs stuck in..

but basically i am on a bit more than you and i have LAFHA and i have 3 kids and rent

not finding that we run out of cash... not living the high life either.. but then again.. we dont even if we have the cash..

Hi guys!!

I've been offered something similar for Perth Also, hoping to have the 457 initiated next week, speaking to some guys I know there already I'd decided it was manageable and if I manage to get the Mrs working then all the better!

I'm curious about the LAFHA Its not been mentioned in the negotiatoins so far, is it worth asking for them to add it instead of just asking for more money? I'll be on a 457 to start with, will I be entitled to it?

Cheers guys!

You can only get Living Away from Home Allowance if you are temporary.

Its not given by the firm as such.. its a tax allowance from the ATO.. but bsically deducts your rent and a lump for food off your salary and gives it back to you tax free.

So in my situation i negotiated a 4 year fixed contract ( I am not bothered that it might not be renewed.. my profession is in demand.. and was all the way through the Global F C)

So i can proove to the ATO that i am not intending to live here permanently ( a little more complicated for me as I have a NZ passport so guarenteed to get a SCV)

All in all the LAHFA is about $35K to me.. so.. if it were the same for you... 109 - 35 = 74,000 which you would pay tax on.. and then you get the 35K ($2916) back onto your monthly wages as a tax free sum

Guest jeffxx

Have checked and we will get LAFHA and probably be renting. Super has not been mentioned so I'll ask.

Thanks so much for the advice Six it :biggrin: