Health Insurance for our visa

karabumble

Hi there, I'm pretty new to this, so if I get it wrong please bear with me :biggrin:

We are in the process of applying for our 457 visa, using a migration agent employed by the company who are sponsoring my hubby. In our pack of info which has been emailed is information to say that we need proof of health insurance as part of our visa.

Through this recruitment process we have been in touch with someone else who is also applying for his visa and he tells us that he has purchased a travel insurance policy to cover him for the short term period when he first arrives in Australia and that he will shop around for insurance when he is a bit more settled.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible - as the travel insurance policies that we have looked at only cover you for between 31 and 60 days (I would want to sort something more permanent than this to be honest). I have seen people say about insurance through HBA which they have sorted from home (UK).

Can anyone advise me as to what would be the best course of action. We want to try and get the paperwork right to ensure the process is as painless as possible.

Cheers, Kara.

Guest Karenphil67

Hi Kara,

We were granted our 457 two weeks ago and we had to get insurance before you get your visa issued. It was one of the conditions of the visa.

There appear to be lots of different types so look around but ours is costing about $170 per month.

I hope this helps

Karen

Hi Karen

Thanks for your reply. Could I ask, have you gone for full health insurance ie hospital, ambulance, extras etc? I had a brief look at HBA yesterday which gave me some idea.

I have also read other posts which say that as we are from the UK were are eligible for Medicare and just need ambulance insurance - do you/anyone else know whether this is right??

Cheers for any help - Kara

Guest Karenphil67

Hi Kara.

We have got Insurance that covers us for:

Public & Private In-Hospital (In-Patient) Expenses for Sickness and Injury

1.2 Public & Private In-Hospital Expenses for Rehabilitation Programmes

1.3 Out-Patient continuing treatment following hospitalisation

1.4 Public In-Hospital (In-Patient) Labour Ward, Psychiatric Ward and Palliative Care Ward Expenses

Section 2 Out-Patient Medical Expenses for Injury and Sickness (100% of MBS Fees)

Section 3 Elective Surgery Expenses

Section 7 Ambulance Expenses, Medical Repatriation to Home Country, Funeral Expenses

We werent sure what we needed to be honest so got this at $182 per month and we will change it if/when we need to. We just wanted to get our visa and it seemed that we needed insurance to do this. Sorry Im new at this to so dont know if this is right

Karen

My OH also just got job offer and as part of the conditions before we get visa we have to have porrf of medical insurance. I believe that medicare isn't available if you are going on 457 visa.

Hi Karen

Thanks for your reply. Could I ask, have you gone for full health insurance ie hospital, ambulance, extras etc? I had a brief look at HBA yesterday which gave me some idea.

I have also read other posts which say that as we are from the UK were are eligible for Medicare and just need ambulance insurance - do you/anyone else know whether this is right??

Cheers for any help - Kara

Guest orlaandjoe

My understanding is that you are required to have health insurance prior to your visa being issued, we have got a great deal for a family of three with HBA, paid one month now and they send you your certificate to attach to your visa application, then your repayments start when you arrive in Oz. Then once you arrive in Oz you are entitled to medicare under the reciprocal health care agreement between Oz and UK/Ireland. I have heard of people on 457 visas who cancelled their private insurance once they registered with medicare but I think we will keep our policy as you are only entitled to a limited amount with medicare as you are on a temp visa. Good luck with everything!:cute:

You can use medicare if you are on a 457.

We are on a 457 and don't have health insurance. At the time we were granted the visa (almost three years ago) there was no requirement to have it, although now I believe you need to have it at the time of visa grant. You do get reciprocal medicare cover if you come from the UK, which covers anything that is medically necessary. We have had both treatment at the GP and also in hospital which has been covered. We decided that the cost of the medical insurance was more than the benefit we would get out of it, especially with the excess that you have to pay. We are all pretty healthy, and if any medical emergency or other medical problem came up we would be seen under medicare anyway. It is only elective surgeries and things like that which aren't covered.

When you arrive you need to go to the medicare office and register (you will need a copy of your visa grant email/letter and all passports, and then you are issued with a medicare card. The card is valid for a year and you just have to go along every year to renew it. Once you have your card you can register for medicare online services which allows you to look at things like your children's vaccination records etc.

Guest orlaandjoe
You can use medicare if you are on a 457.

We are on a 457 and don't have health insurance. At the time we were granted the visa (almost three years ago) there was no requirement to have it, although now I believe you need to have it at the time of visa grant. You do get reciprocal medicare cover if you come from the UK, which covers anything that is medically necessary. We have had both treatment at the GP and also in hospital which has been covered. We decided that the cost of the medical insurance was more than the benefit we would get out of it, especially with the excess that you have to pay. We are all pretty healthy, and if any medical emergency or other medical problem came up we would be seen under medicare anyway. It is only elective surgeries and things like that which aren't covered.

When you arrive you need to go to the medicare office and register (you will need a copy of your visa grant email/letter and all passports, and then you are issued with a medicare card. The card is valid for a year and you just have to go along every year to renew it. Once you have your card you can register for medicare online services which allows you to look at things like your children's vaccination records etc.

Thanks thats great advice!Would prefer to not have to pay private health care so its great to know we will be covered by medicare!x

I am also on the process of 457 visa by an emigration agent

yes, we need a valid health insurance as a new requirement to 457

my CO asked for health insurance last week

I have taken the classic cover from MBF which is $169 the cheapest for a family

still awaiting for a reply from CO

hope this helps

thanks

Guest Dave Collyer

When we were applying for our 457 visa a few months ago I read somewhere that ordinary travel insurance would suffice, however, there wasn't too much support for this option. Given that my son had to pay over $200 in advance to meet the visa requirement, we decided to try out the travel insurance option. We attached a copy of the policy coverage to the visa application and stated that it would adequately cover us until we registered for Medicare, which we would do as soon as we arrived.

The visa was granted without a question, we arrived in Perth last week and we have registered for Medicare today. So, it can be done and I would recommend it.

I am now looking at possibly getting additional private health cover, but, as yet, I can't see why I need to. We didn't have private cover in the UK and relied upon the NHS. In Australia, Medicare seems to cover (or not cover) much the same as the NHS did in the UK. Unless someone wants to tell me anything different?

Thanks everyone - your help and advice is very much appreciated. I have had a look at HBA and also will investigate MBF. Obviously if we need as part of our visa application then so be it, we will get some, however, will find out if we are obliged to continue it once we are settled as I think that Medicare will meet our needs adequately, as we are a healthy bunch currently and hopefully the change of lifestyle will only improve this further.

Again, thanks a million for your advice and friendliness. Kara.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Stereotongue

Hiya,

I got my insurance through the IMAN Website : http://www.austhealth.com. Will be moving at end of Jan 2012.

Just be careful with the travel insurance policy that covers you for 31 to 60 days. I have one of those policies as part of my bank account, but they only cover you if you are actually returning to the UK at the end of 60 days etc. They don't just cover you for 60 days and then stop. They told me I have to be covered for the entire trip ie: if I stay in Australia for 4 years - I would need to take out a policy that covers 4 years - the entire trip. I have to take out a separate policy that deals with one way travel.

Take care

Stereo

We're here 2 months now and my husbands company still have not sorted out our health insurance.... (it's part of his contract that they pay it) even though everyone here is saying you must have it to have the visa issued. How did they get us the visa if we don't have health insurance??? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pommybonner

Hi, my company issued me an immigration agent who advised me simply to get 1 month travel insurance from the UK (MoneySupermarket.com) and then I sent him the policy details on email. That was used to apply for my 457 and I had no problems. His point was that the condition of the 457 was you had to prove you had health insurance at the start and then the ongoing condition was that you kept up the insurance during the visa period. My plan was to once settled arrange health insurance. Having read the comments on this thread I am wondering if registering for Medicare will suffice....

Guest pommybonner

Hi, If it is for Visa application then better to compare this with one of the insurance comparison websites, you'll only need 1 month of UK cover before sorting out in Oz medicare or private.

Phil.