You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

AdamX

Self Employed on Working Holiday Visa - allowed?

I cannot find any definite statement on if it is allowed to be Self Employed while on a working holiday visa.

If anyone can advise, I'd be grateful :)

I'm from the UK, if this helps, and I will be mostly in NSW.

Hi Adamx

I am not 100% sure but as far as I know as long as you are eligible for a tax file number you should be able to get an ABN. Although saying that you are only suppose to have casual work rights and I'm not sure if being self employed would class as casual.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Thanks again :)

I would *think* that I could, logically. I mean, if i was say, a freelance photographer, working in Australia, this *should* be ok I would think?

I simply cant find anything conclusive, which tells me it's ok. But it would be a big set back if i find I cannot once I get there!

If you were working as a freelance photographer its not so much being self employed all the time - only when you are selling the photos iyswim, because you could be taking photos for personal pleasure, or taking them for business back in the UK, where you could be self employed in the UK, or employer. Does that make sense?

Unless you are setting up shoots with people and they are paying you (even if only to cover costs) then I would think the 6 month rule would come into effect. Or just contact the Aussie IRS/HMI (sorry, not sure who this is - waaaaaaay down our list of things to do before Feb at the moment lol) and DIAC and ask them?

Although, once you are there, surely this is rather hard to police on way or the other?

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.