Best credit card for foreign transactions

desreb

Hi all,

I've just been looking at a few credit card comparison sites to try and find a decent credit card for travelling abroad. I fly to NZ around once a month, and we're planning to visit other places occasionally too. We currently have debit cards with Westpac choice, and the foreign transaction fees are higher than I'm used to in the UK, hence I thought I might shop around for a better option.

Basically I'm looking for low transaction fees. Many cards use the exchange rate set by MasterCard/VISA/Amex, but may add a fee on top of that.

Also - I notice most cards are for PR, and we don't have PR yet. What alternative approach do people use for getting foreign funds? In the UK, our best option was usually Nationwide ATM card (before they introduced a fee), or Post Office for currency.

Thanks!

D

Guest The Pom Queen

I would also be interested in knowing this I'm leaving OZ for the first time at the end of the month and not sure the best way to go, I don't think anyone uses travellers cheques these days do they?

Guest The Pom Queen
In my opinion without a doubt the NAB Gold Visa Debit.

This card does not charge a Foreign Exchange Conversion Fee.

The catch is it costs $10 a month, however if you are able to deposit $5000 per month you don't pay the fee.

http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/nab/nab/home/personal_finance/5/1/3

Thanks Parley I will have a look in to that:notworthy: