and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ChocALicious

Any single parents who have migrated to OZ

Guest ChocALicious

I would like to hear from any single parents (mums and/or dads) who have migrated abroad with their child or children? How was the process, how was it settling in for yourself and child/children? I'm planning on moving to australia once I finish my nursing degree, I have no family or friends over there and would be leaving behind a big family in the UK but my main aim is a better quality of life for my little one. If I was moving alone I could handle it no problem but I'm just concerned about my little one who will be starting high school when we move.

Also my nan said I should go for 6months-a year by myself first in order to get a feel of the country, look for schools and family accommodation but don't know if I can be that long away from my little one even though it would be ideal to have that all sorted before moving with her.

Hi and welcome to the forum, we do have a couple of single parents on the site who have emigrated on their own with the children, I can't remember their user names sorry but hopefully they will come along soon to help.

You do realise that you would have to have permission from the childs father don't you, I am sure you have already looked in to it but I don't want you to hit the stumbling block further down the line.

Kate

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest guest59652

Sorry to say this but moving alone to the other side of the world is hard. All the single parents i have met rely on the support of others around them.

I am neutral on the quality of life issue about australia and uk - i don't think the quality of life is better over here, many would disagree i am sure.

Its ambitious - good luck but your child will feel the move massively - imagine the affect on relatives too