register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
fish.01

Brisbane Open House tomorrow Sat 1st

Want to see where the american General MacArthur ran the pacific war from in WWII?

macarthur-museum.jpg

Or what the Masons really get up to?

masonic.jpg

Or tour parliament house?

parliament-house.jpg

Or view the lovely St John's?

st-johns.jpg

Or sneak up a skyscraper?

riparian.jpg

Or see where the connected hang out at the Tattersalls Club?

tattersalls.jpg

Or how traffic is controlled throughout Brisbane?

bris-square.jpg

Or take a peek at the performing arts complex?

qpac.jpg

Or even a back of house museum tour?

queensland-museum.jpg

Brisbane Open House has all this and more for one day only tomorrow Saturday 1st.

See: http://www.brisbaneopenhouse.com.au/

So my wife and I and two little one's had a busy day yesterday. Went to the west end markets in the morning and had a picnic breakfast and a kick around...not as busy as normal....had a street performer and really nice singer. Bananas now $6/Kg.

Then caught the city glider (for free) to the traffic control centre in the Brisbane Square building. You look through a big glass window into a room with rows of desks facing a big bank of screens. On the left is the traffic controllers (joint council and state govt) and on the right is the busway controllers with cameras covering the platforms and busways. The bus drivers traffic reports are passed to the traffic people. Traffic reports on the radio and the 131940 info and reporting line are all handled here. See: http://131940.qld.gov.au/

We had lunch with a friend we ran into after 8 years no see and then headed down to the magistrates court:

6201319045_a9c8f26c34_m.jpg

Like airport security on the way in though you keep your shoes on:

6201318333_5842894765_m.jpg

Typical magistrates court with no jury:

6201314605_a448cae846_m.jpg

6201316023_9bf262511c_m.jpg

My little magistrate decided to hand out a guilty verdict to the tour guide :)

6201826296_23d98851a1.jpg

Queensland Indigenous are the Murri people. This is the Murri court where traditional elders sit with the Magistrate so government and traditional sentencing are combined. The courtroom is setup with Indigenous customs in mind:

6201827856_b3d40e4d1c_m.jpg

We then half sprinted down Ann St to see the Masonic Temple:

6201319827_91f0d26339_m.jpg

What a beautiful building this is:

574649-masonic-temple.jpg

They almost had me signed up for the building alone until I found out I was in the only excluded group...atheists :laugh: Apparently you have to believe in some greater power whether Christian, Muslim or whatever. I was going to ask whether the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster qualified but thought better of it. Apparently I do have a limit after all. :wideeyed:

From being a natural busybody I found myself in the superb office of the Grand Master and his wife and the ex Grand Master after the tour hours were finished. Felt dead important if not a little under dressed. They were really nice people and I was included in their relaxed chat. I couldn't help myself though and took my chance to mention my "excluded" athiest status but they said I could come and watch as they have public ceremonies on Anzac Day and the like. Phew.

Really enjoyed Brisbane Open House. I think next year they are going to do the whole weekend which is good as there were so many other buildings open I would have loved to go to.

To finish off our busy day we had dinner at DM's at South Bank and for some reason our restaurant, and others we passed, were full of groups of happy men and women breaking out into old style harmonies. What a day!!!