First car collected from the docks....

Jibbah24

Have just collected my car from the docks and though I'd post a couple of things of interest. In general the process has been pretty straight forward, however, I have just encountered my first bit of frustrating red tape!

I have booked the car in with an engineer to have it checked for compliance and just before saying goodbye having made the booking the lady checked to make sure the import permits I had in my hand were blue...? No they were white! Apparently they will not send the blue originals to a non Australian address and in order to have the compliance an registration sorted you need the blue originals. Am sure it must have been written somewhere (probably nice and small) but I missed it so am now having to wait 5-7 working days for the blue docs to arrive from Canberra before anything can move forward!!!!!

Another thing to watch out for is the 'steam cleaning' at the docks. I had heard so many people getting charged for this despite them having already done it in the UK I simply had a friend take it through a normal car wash in the UK and budget for the cleaning at this end. I paid the $360 for a full steam clean but the problem is......it bloody filthy and I can see no sign of any cleaning other than a quick hose under the arches.

I have contacted the shipper to complain!

I sent the car RORO and except for a couple of scuffs on the front bumper, all seems to have gone well.

One car down and one to go!!

Cheers

S

Guest ChiltzandTig

thanks for this post. Really useful. My car have arrived in Perth, and is awaiting AQIS inspection on Monday.

I have made an appointment for it to be inspected on Friday at the Midland DoT site, but on making the appointment no-one mentioned the blue originals (I also have white, which was sent to me in the UK). I actually emailed vimports last wednesday to request the original, as i must have had a gut feeling I would need it. Hasnt arrived yet, but hopefully will. I might drop them an email requesting confirmation its on its way.

Are you clear what happens after the inspection? I am a bit fuzzy (and Pickfords seem to think they have done their bit once i have collected the car from them). I think I can get a temp permit ($21 for 48 hours) to drive the car home (300km away from Perth). I have to then wait for plates (to be attached to the engine) are made and sent to me, then take those plates to another garage (approved by DoT) to be attached. Then get the car licensed at the local shire office (not looking forward to that either, after failed attempt to get WA drivers licence because our medicare cards were the temp paper ones not the plastic ones and ergo not acceptable!!).

Should be a fun week!

thanks for this post. Really useful. My car have arrived in Perth, and is awaiting AQIS inspection on Monday.

I have made an appointment for it to be inspected on Friday at the Midland DoT site, but on making the appointment no-one mentioned the blue originals (I also have white, which was sent to me in the UK). I actually emailed vimports last wednesday to request the original, as i must have had a gut feeling I would need it. Hasnt arrived yet, but hopefully will. I might drop them an email requesting confirmation its on its way.

Are you clear what happens after the inspection? I am a bit fuzzy (and Pickfords seem to think they have done their bit once i have collected the car from them). I think I can get a temp permit ($21 for 48 hours) to drive the car home (300km away from Perth). I have to then wait for plates (to be attached to the engine) are made and sent to me, then take those plates to another garage (approved by DoT) to be attached. Then get the car licensed at the local shire office (not looking forward to that either, after failed attempt to get WA drivers licence because our medicare cards were the temp paper ones not the plastic ones and ergo not acceptable!!).

Should be a fun week!

I was OK collecting the vehicle from the docks without the blue originals which was a relief but seems like it's one of those areas where they seem to make it up as they go along!

Having passed its AQIS inspection and cleared customs I paid $70 for a 28 day unregistered vehicle permit which allows me to drive it from garage to garage getting the various checks done.

I think it's pretty straight forward now as once the vehicle has been inspected for compliance (for which you may or may not need the blue docs :confused: ) I just need to get any issues sorted such as seat belt anchors and the like. Once I've done this I'll need to have a normal roadworthy certificate arranged at a local garage and then make an appointment with VicRoads to officially register the car.

The plates take around 2-3 days to arrive apparently but this may vary from state to state.

Good luck with getting yours all sorted!!

My container is due in on 6/10 so I'm hoping to get my car fairly quickly afterwards. I'm hoping that the process is as straightforward as possible (although there are a fair few things to do).

I'm kicking myself that I didn't understand the roadworthy process before leaving. I've got a windscreen chip that I could have got sorted in the UK. I didn't' think it would be an issue, but I understand now that they are very hot on windscreens so I preparing myself for the cost of a new windscreen for a BMW 5-series which won't be cheap. Hopefully they won't try the old steam clean trick because I've got the invoice for a BMW valet and clean plus photo's of the car being loaded outside of my house. If that's not enough, I don't know what is. Fingers crossed there's no damage.

This post is great, helps with the start of my process. We want to ship our car over to Perth but not started the process yet and not sure how much it is going to cost? Any chance someone could share this information with me, would help me get started and also have an approximate for budget. Thanks :unsure:

This post is great, helps with the start of my process. We want to ship our car over to Perth but not started the process yet and not sure how much it is going to cost? Any chance someone could share this information with me, would help me get started and also have an approximate for budget. Thanks :unsure:

I too would be interested in this information as we are looking at taking our car's with us next year :biggrin:

Guest ChiltzandTig

An update: I too am now being required to pay for a steam clean ($495) despite having had my car valetted in the UK (and having the receipt to show for it). Pickfords tell me its pretty much pointless arguing with AQIS. So its pay up....Apparently the cleaning company is innundated (errr no doubt) so it will take a couple of days to get done, then be reinspected...so that pushes me collecting it to next week. So annoying. On the plus side the duty and GST was $1000 less than I had calculated, so I guess you win some, you lose some.

Still no blue import permit from canberra, altho the lady at the Perth inspection centre seemed to think the white copy would do. In WA you can only get a 48 hour permit to drive while the car is moved.

Managed to sort WA driving licence today...so thats a step forward, altho the platci card takes 5 days...

Guest ChiltzandTig

Further update: picked car up from Pickfords Perth on Friday. Battery was almost flat (suspect interior light had been left on) but it was in great shape....no scratches etc tho not $495-bucks clean IMO.

Drove to Midland DoT inspection centre. The inspection took about 45 minutes and seemed quite cursory - indicators, wipers, look underneath, and kid seat connections. I did need the 'blue' copies of the import permit (there are 4 copies of the import permit in the original...one for the DoT centre, one to stay in the car, one to send to Niddrie Nameplates [they make the stickers that will get attached to car] and one for me. I passed (horray). Cost $90.

I had to send the Niddrie copy off to them with a chq for $86. The plates should come in the post in the next 5 days or so. Once they arrive I have to get them affixed by a garage (not sure if it has to be the same on in Perth, or hopefully a local one - we are 300km away from Perth). Once thats been done I can licence the vehicle (which gives me 3rd party insurance) and I am away.

Until then I cant drive the car. (To get the car back from Perth I had to buy a $21 temp permit from the DoT, which covers me for that specific journey)

Hope this helps someone!

Thought I'd post some prices as a few people have been asking and it's always good to get an idea before committing....

Shipping using RORO - £1,600

Duty/GXT and Entry Fees - $1,691

Port and Stat Charges - $360

Australian Quarantine and Inspection - $229

Customs Clearance - $475

Valuation of Vehicle - $350

Steam Cleaning - $360

Inspection by Engineer for Aust Compliance - $260

Niddrie Import Plate - $86

Booked in for Roadworthy Certificate on Friday and then need a trip to Vic Roads to register it!

Hope it helps...

Kristian (Iron Chef) is sorting out shipping our Audi A6 estate for us - he reckons it'll be about £2300 to get it across and compliant for Oz - plus customs duties.

Given we couldn't manage to sell our car in the UK (even when we dropped the price to an obscene £4500-!) I think it's going to be worth it. Just worried about insuring it now....

Kristian (Iron Chef) is sorting out shipping our Audi A6 estate for us - he reckons it'll be about £2300 to get it across and compliant for Oz - plus customs duties.

Given we couldn't manage to sell our car in the UK (even when we dropped the price to an obscene £4500-!) I think it's going to be worth it. Just worried about insuring it now....

Just had an estimate for insuring ours and it's only around a $100 more than a 'normal' one.

:yes:

My container is due in on 6/10 so I'm hoping to get my car fairly quickly afterwards. I'm hoping that the process is as straightforward as possible (although there are a fair few things to do).

I'm kicking myself that I didn't understand the roadworthy process before leaving. I've got a windscreen chip that I could have got sorted in the UK. I didn't' think it would be an issue, but I understand now that they are very hot on windscreens so I preparing myself for the cost of a new windscreen for a BMW 5-series which won't be cheap. Hopefully they won't try the old steam clean trick because I've got the invoice for a BMW valet and clean plus photo's of the car being loaded outside of my house. If that's not enough, I don't know what is. Fingers crossed there's no damage.

I imported my car in 2004 and had to have it steam cleaned, I had actually (on purpose) left some polish on the bonnet (after it had been steam cleaned in the UK) just to check whether it had been cleaned or not, and guess what, it was still there! I had heard that cars never get through without the cleaning charge, and I have never heard of one, so guess you need to factor that charge into the equation when you import, and if you don't get charged, think of it as a bonus.:wink:

I imported my car in 2004 and had to have it steam cleaned, I had actually (on purpose) left some polish on the bonnet (after it had been steam cleaned in the UK) just to check whether it had been cleaned or not, and guess what, it was still there! I had heard that cars never get through without the cleaning charge, and I have never heard of one, so guess you need to factor that charge into the equation when you import, and if you don't get charged, think of it as a bonus.:wink:

I think it all depends on which way the winds blowing like a lot of things in Oz.

I spoke to the agent today and the reckoned its all down to the initial inspection. If they find mud, dirt, or plant matter then they'll pull it irrespective of whether its been cleaned or not. I think a lot of vehicles that have been cleaned get pulled because they pickup a small amount of dirt/mud in the loading process, or on the way back from cleaning before they get loaded. It's so easy to pick up random plant matter on the roads and I can't see anyway of avoiding it.

We'll see in the next week or so.

I think it all depends on which way the winds blowing like a lot of things in Oz.

I spoke to the agent today and the reckoned its all down to the initial inspection. If they find mud, dirt, or plant matter then they'll pull it irrespective of whether its been cleaned or not. I think a lot of vehicles that have been cleaned get pulled because they pickup a small amount of dirt/mud in the loading process, or on the way back from cleaning before they get loaded. It's so easy to pick up random plant matter on the roads and I can't see anyway of avoiding it.

We'll see in the next week or so.

Yes I think you may be right, ours was steam cleaned on our drive, new tyres were put on and it was driven 2 metres onto a trailer and driven straight to the container. The container sailed the next day, but I guess perhaps it got rained on at the docks because it was very dirty when it was finally delivered.

Hope all goes well for you next week.