MARYROSE02

If ONLY I had worried about the cost of living before I came to Australia............

........ What an idiot I've been, all these years and decades wasted at the end of the world when I could still have been working as a clerk with Hampshire County Council, - in my 36th year now, just imagine! Almost 40 years and still just turned 60! Think of all the holidays to Benidorm, Salou, Magaluf & Torremolinos I've missed out on.

Why didn't I pay attention to important things like the cost of living, the exchange rate, the distance, warm beer, thatched cottages, blackbirds, bluebells & ASDA?

I could have saved myself such pain. Why didn't some kind soul back in 1978 give me the 100 good reasons not to go to Australia!

Now I am Damned, in Purgatory, with nothing but the pit to look forward to!

room for more in that pit?

Only got a short stay in it tonight or rather this morning as I have to be up to watch Spurs V Shamrock at 5am. I might just watch it at home though rather than go down the pub which will make me feel guilty too as other guys will come from miles around.

Now I'm nearly 60 I wish I had that 40 year pension too!

Guest guest59177

Hey, what DID you guys worry about in those days anyways???

Hey, what DID you guys worry about in those days anyways???

We used to wonder whether The Beatles would EVER get back together, would we EVER get one of those new-fangled colour televisions, grow my hair long enough to get a Rod Stewart cut (funny how he's still got the same haircut & I can only copy Kojak), rush home from my evening class to watch the next episode of The Sweeney, rage at the injustice of The Sweet being relegated to No 2 in the charts AGAIN, this time by Mud with Tiger Feet!

I didn't HAVE any worries to be honest, living with my Mum and Dad, full board, all laundry, use of my Mum's car. all for a pittance,spend all my money at the pub apart from saving for those holidays in the Med. To think that, of my own free will, I threw it all away too!!!

Guest guest59177
We used to wonder whether The Beatles would EVER get back together, would we EVER get one of those new-fangled colour televisions, grow my hair long enough to get a Rod Stewart cut (funny how he's still got the same haircut & I can only copy Kojak), rush home from my evening class to watch the next episode of The Sweeney, rage at the injustice of The Sweet being relegated to No 2 in the charts AGAIN, this time by Mud with Tiger Feet!

I didn't HAVE any worries to be honest, living with my Mum and Dad, full board, all laundry, use of my Mum's car. all for a pittance,spend all my money at the pub apart from saving for those holidays in the Med. To think that, of my own free will, I threw it all away too!!!

*SIGH* Those were the days I guess...

this time by Mud with Tiger Feet!

Don't go there with Tiger Feet - pure musical genius :biggrin:

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

How did you get to Australia in the 70's anyway. Was everyone crammed into the bowels of the boat, where only the strongest would make it to the other end? :jimlad:

Don't go there with Tiger Feet - pure musical genius :biggrin:

I liked Mud but I was 'The Sweet Freak! I Bought every single from 'Little Willy' to 'Love Is Like Oxygen.' I had every T Rex single from 'Ride A White Swan' to 'Teenage Dream' (except for 'Jeepster.') The only Mud single I had was 'Dyna-mite.' I can still remember that funny little dance Mud used to do to 'Tiger Feet' on TOTP.

How did you get to Australia in the 70's anyway. Was everyone crammed into the bowels of the boat, where only the strongest would make it to the other end? :jimlad:

I did come part of the way by boat - from Singapore to Freemantle - and I think it was probably the drunkest not the strongest judging by all the Aussies coming home from their working holidays in Europe.