Prescriptions from England

Guest wildchild

Guest wildchild

Hi, wondering if anyone could help me. I'm on a repeat prescription for statins and currently in Perth. I managed to bring over the 3 months worth i was allowed but I'm going to be here for well over a year. I went to medicare to arrange a card/ membership and they said I couldn't access the pharmaceutical benefits scheme (PBS) and would have to pay out right for my medicines which would be extremely expensive.(despite the reciprocal agreement)

Is it possible to have medicines sent over. I still have my repeat prescription going in the UK which is valid until March. Does anyone know how I could get it sent through customs (both sides)? I assume I'll have issues on both the British side which would want to prevent parallel trading and the Oz side because they simply don't like anything coming into the country.

Surely their must be other people who are travelling who require more than 3months worth of prescription medicines and don't pay full rates for them (plus blood tests and doctors fees) every three months or so..

Sorry cannot help with this other than to say why not pop into a chemist and ask them how much the prescription is going to cost. Statins have been around for a long while now and its possible there is a generic version of the drug and if there is it will not be that expensive.

I take a drug which is on on the PBS and it costs me $38 for the generic version and $45 for the patented version.

A month that is.

Guest The Pom Queen

Welcome to the forum. Is there anyone coming out to visit?

I know the Dr and pharmacy are really good with my mum and give her 6 months supply each time.

Hi, wondering if anyone could help me. I'm on a repeat prescription for statins and currently in Perth. I managed to bring over the 3 months worth i was allowed but I'm going to be here for well over a year. I went to medicare to arrange a card/ membership and they said I couldn't access the pharmaceutical benefits scheme (PBS) and would have to pay out right for my medicines which would be extremely expensive.(despite the reciprocal agreement)

Is it possible to have medicines sent over. I still have my repeat prescription going in the UK which is valid until March. Does anyone know how I could get it sent through customs (both sides)? I assume I'll have issues on both the British side which would want to prevent parallel trading and the Oz side because they simply don't like anything coming into the country.

Surely their must be other people who are travelling who require more than 3months worth of prescription medicines and don't pay full rates for them (plus blood tests and doctors fees) every three months or so..

Strange they said you couldn't access the PBS scheme as a UK resident under the reciprocal scheme. This site says you can: http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp

Sometimes they get it wrong so might be worth phoning the number at the bottom of the linked page.

When my mum was holiday visiting my sister in Adelaide, I collected here tablets from the chemist and sent then through the post. Post office told me sending medication isn't a problem so long as the paperwork is in with them. My girlfriend and I are emigrating in December and she has just got 12 months worth of her prescription to take with her and the doc/nurse said she can send someone for the repeat if she needs and it can be posted.

Hope this helps.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.849810,-3.031625

My partner is on medication that is prescribed by a UK hospital and gets her prescriptions sent over from the UK. She used to use Boots: http://www.boots.com/en/Pharmacy-Health/Prescription-Services/Repeat-prescriptions-online/ but now uses Doorstep pharmacy: http://doorsteppharmacy.thepharmacycentre.com/index.php?option=com_repeatprescription&view=repeatprescription&Itemid=117 for all her UK prescriptions.

Guest wildchild

Thank you for all the help. It seems the woman at medicare may have been wrong or misunderstood something but I'm going to try the importation route as a cheaper alternative now that I know it can be done legally.

Thanks again