Guest mdeejacks

wanted down under

Guest mdeejacks

hello all, i have watched wanted down under on monday and tuesday of this week and when they get to the section where they compare the price of everything both were either 900 or 500 pounds worse off than when they were in the uk and that's per month. Surely this can.t take into account that both parties were earning more cash. Can it? This is worrying me. Can someone please put my mind at rest cheers jack

Guest Guest31881

Comparisons do not wok when you look at the two countries, when people move to Australia they earn Australian Dollars and its impossible to compare to UK with the exchange rate.

A more accurate comparison would be what % of monthly wage goes on food / mortgage/ savings, That would be more useful the people thinking of moving here than direct comparisons .

Guest jimkenward12
Comparisons do not wok when you look at the two countries, when people move to Australia they earn Australian Dollars and its impossible to compare to UK with the exchange rate.

A more accurate comparison would be what % of monthly wage goes on food / mortgage/ savings, That would be more useful the people thinking of moving here than direct comparisons .

Spot on!!

Plus, from what I've read from people that have been on it/seen it and living in Aus etc you really can't trust the prices etc on Wanted Down Under - remember, its telly, not a how to guide :D

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

Cool, I didn't know WDU was back! Must be on while I'm at work or something. Anyway iplayer has 3 epsiodes, these will keep me outta trouble.

They do seem to use exchange rates for price comparisons which is pretty dumb unless you're transferring enough GBP to buy a house outright! (which would be darned expensive just now)

She'll be right!

Guest mdeejacks
Cool, I didn't know WDU was back! Must be on while I'm at work or something. Anyway iplayer has 3 epsiodes, these will keep me outta trouble.

They do seem to use exchange rates for price comparisons which is pretty dumb unless you're transferring enough GBP to buy a house outright! (which would be darned expensive just now)

try 3 pm on monday tues thurs fri on bbc 2

also on the program they seem to compare all outgoings and still come up with huge losses on the month and then they start crying which seems mad to me as they still end up voting to move to oz:wacko:

try 3 pm on monday tues thurs fri on bbc 2

also on the program they seem to compare all outgoings and still come up with huge losses on the month and then they start crying which seems mad to me as they still end up voting to move to oz:wacko:

Yeah, at work those days at that time! iPlayer it is.

Really surprises me sometimes that they decide to go. I've seen 'em totally miserable and crying and then they do that cheesy thing with the flags and cheer "Australia!", and I'm like, what?!

She'll be right!

with you there, pretty good show, the money thing is way off, as mentioned.

but that flag thing, thats what sky+ is for, so you can fast forward it! cheesy!

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

Guest mdeejacks
Yeah, at work those days at that time! iPlayer it is.

Really surprises me sometimes that they decide to go. I've seen 'em totally miserable and crying and then they do that cheesy thing with the flags and cheer "Australia!", and I'm like, what?!

i know, but i still find myself trying to guess which way they'll vote...saddo!!!

also quite often the have family members on death beds and they are leaving 5 of their children in the uk and still vote oz.. blows me away

they should go on x factor or something, sob stories will make you a squillionaire! :)

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

There's also an episode of "A place in the sun down under" on Channel 4 at 10:55 tomorrow, although these are pretty old and out of date and I haven't heard of them making any new ones.

There's also an episode of "A place in the sun down under" on Channel 4 at 10:55 tomorrow, although these are pretty old and out of date and I haven't heard of them making any new ones.

EDITED: Sorry was knackered and didn't read the post correctly first time. Soz for any wrong info.

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

I think they have stopped doing the cost comparisons on WDU now, I do believe they were a bit of a joke and were put in to give some stress to the people on the show. One of the things I think they did was give a cost of airconditioning that was running 24 hours a day which is very expensive, no-one runs AC 24 hours a day, many houses do not have it at all, this item alone will always blow the budget.

Flights booked for Sydney 29/09/2015 :cool:

I guess a good time to remind people that some of the participants of this show, may be members of PIO, In the past posters have forgotton that these are real people and slagged them off.

So no personal comments about the participants please

Cheers

Ali x

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Guest thehoe5
hello all, i have watched wanted down under on monday and tuesday of this week and when they get to the section where they compare the price of everything both were either 900 or 500 pounds worse off than when they were in the uk and that's per month. Surely this can.t take into account that both parties were earning more cash. Can it? This is worrying me. Can someone please put my mind at rest cheers jack

Hi, we have just got back from Brisbane with Wanted down under and yes they do take into consideration both wages BUT its not a true reflection ( well not in our case) the wages were based on the lowest wage my husband and I could earn. My husband is a plumber and was sent to work with a one man band who couldn't pay the going rate and I was sent to a salon chain who didn't really want to discuss the wages!! anyway off camera we did our own research and found we could earn alot more than we were first told!!

The program was fantastic and the film crew were great we found things we would have never known and without it I still wouldn't be sure if the move was for me so for that I will always be grateful!!! :angel_happy_face_ha

Guest mdeejacks

Hello thanks for the insight as much as this site is great for sharing opinions there is nothing like first hand experience cheers jack

Guest thehoe5

Hi Jack as I was looking at this earlier post I was looking at the fact that you have had your SS visa granted...with the risk of sounding like one of the kids "Are you there yet?"

You said you got SS and the visa was granted two months later was this the process from start to finish or is this skipping out the paperwork bit? :chatterbox:

Thanks,

Lisa Hoe x

Guest mdeejacks

hi lisa. First off i'm not there yet. The whole process from start to finish was less than 5 months. How about you how are you getting on cheers jack

Guest thehoe5
hi lisa. First off i'm not there yet. The whole process from start to finish was less than 5 months. How about you how are you getting on cheers jack

Thanks for the reply Jack, so did you decide to go to Perth in the end then? How long do you have before you need to activate your visa? and once activated do you have five years to get out there like you do with a 175 visa or is it 176....Im so confused I talk about all the different visa's all the time and which is going to be best for us but still haven't decided which route to go down Its driving me mad!!!:arghh:

We just want to get a visa and fast before our eldest daughter decides not to come at all!!!!

Its catch 22 but hey ho!!!

anyway Im babling now:chatterbox:

Speak soon,

Lisa x

Once we knew we were going with WDU we got our application in pretty damn sharpish. Went in on 08th June and was received on 04th August with three weeks to spare so we were able to validate.

As for the cost of living bit once I started talking about tax rates and what that actually meant for the income levels we could expect then BBC crew starting looking at me like I was an alien and asked me to just say whther I thought we were better or worse off. My view has always been that as long as we weren't much worse off financially then it would be fine.

We fly out on the 14th March 2012 to make a go of it and see where it takes us. The programme was a pretty good experience as long as you went into it with your eyes open. I personally couldn't care less what people who I don't know and will never meet think of me as a result of how the editing goes but what it did do for me was give me the chance to meet with some recruitment consultants, take a look at a few areas we may want to live and validate our visa's. Not a bad return for fifteen minutes of fame (or infamy depending upon the views of the viewer)

When people watch the programme try and bear in mind that we all sign a disclaimer that says they can pretty much cut and edit it to suit how they want the programme to portray us. We knew this at the time but also thought it was worth the opportuntiy.

By the way, the new series starts on 3rd January, or so we have been told, and runs for four weeks.

Si

Opinions are like ar**eholes, everybody has one and generally full of s**t. Including me.

they should go on x factor or something, sob stories will make you a squillionaire! :)

My sob story is that I am a Chartered Management Accountant who works as Finance Director for a multi million pound engineering group. I also have an MBA. I can imagine your eyes filling up already.

We knew going in that they needed an angle and ours was that my stepdaughter was unsure whether she wanted to come with us being that she is happy in University in the UK.

The flights have been booked but I'll leave you with bated breath until the next series after Christmas to find out whether she is coming with us. You obviously care or you wouldn't have posted on this thread.

Remember matey, some of us like to sit on internet forums and criticise others while some of us have the brass ones to get out there and do it.

Opinions are like ar**eholes, everybody has one and generally full of s**t. Including me.

Guest mdeejacks
Thanks for the reply Jack, so did you decide to go to Perth in the end then? How long do you have before you need to activate your visa? and once activated do you have five years to get out there like you do with a 175 visa or is it 176....Im so confused I talk about all the different visa's all the time and which is going to be best for us but still haven't decided which route to go down Its driving me mad!!!:arghh:

We just want to get a visa and fast before our eldest daughter decides not to come at all!!!!

Its catch 22 but hey ho!!!

anyway Im babling now:chatterbox:

Speak soon,

Lisa x

Hello again.

I'm confused too when it comes to what needs to be done and why. what i do know is that once I do go I think I will just stay so that won't apply to me. As for when I need to activate my visa. Off the top of my head I think the latest I must arrive is august, so plenty of time yet although that depends on how the house sells. I went for a 176 as I could do that independently as I am nearing 40 and based on that visa as long as it is lodged before I turn 40 then I can still get the visa. I see your now back in the country, where have you been? Have you spoken to an agent to see which is the safest bet for you to get in?

cheers

jack

Guest thehoe5
My sob story is that I am a Chartered Management Accountant who works as Finance Director for a multi million pound engineering group. I also have an MBA. I can imagine your eyes filling up already.

We knew going in that they needed an angle and ours was that my stepdaughter was unsure whether she wanted to come with us being that she is happy in University in the UK.

The flights have been booked but I'll leave you with bated breath until the next series after Christmas to find out whether she is coming with us. You obviously care or you wouldn't have posted on this thread.

Remember matey, some of us like to sit on internet forums and criticise others while some of us have the brass ones to get out there and do it.

Well said!! I think some people think anyone who appears on the TV have no feelings!! There was a woman on Twitter slagging off Nicki Chapman last week......:arghh:

Wasn't these people taught if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all!!!:realmad: