100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

Well, the government's finally caught up to the reality. Tier 1 visas now require you to have made SIGNIFICANT advancements in your field that are WORLD REKNOWN. You need to get the stamp of approval from the likes of the 'Royal Society'. Tier 2 requires you to have sponsorship from an employer. The rest are for students and suches. I am not aware of any other way to come over for working and living. Pity really, I would LOVE to come over and work while my 'external checks' get done for the 175. The really sad thing with me is that recruiters in both Australia and U.K. are asking me about my visa situation. They've interviewed me otherwise and seem happy with everything. Oh well, hopefully soon...

The government may have finally caught up but it does seem as if it may be to late, a report i was reading this week on the BBC was saying that the government hope to reduce immigration into Britain by the 10s of thousands by 2015, so lets say they reduce immigration by say 50,000 well that still means we will get roughly 250,000 more per year, that imo is 250,000 to many, immigration needs to stop now and only allowed to continue when we can deal with all the people that already live here.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest59177
I'm sure everything with your visa will be fine! could you not come over to the uk even for a holiday for a month or two

I wish I could!!! The UK visa authorities look with extreme suspicion on tourists from around here. We need to give proof that we will return. And that usually means (haven't checked though) showing tens of thousands of pound sterling in your bank account. And if you can show some property that's even better. And I simply DO NOT have that kind of money. A friend of mine wants me to visit him in Canada lol. But I am saving up for the BIG MOVE. Sydney is expensive and I need to ensure I have enough dough to survive while looking for a good job.

Guest guest59177
Thats a shame, i didnt realise they were so strict even on holidays. even if you have a return plane ticket? some really nice parts of the uk, shame you cant see them. at least you'll be in sydney soon tho. what is it you work as?

I am an Analyst Programmer. And never fear!!! Once I have the coveted 175 stamped on my passport and am present in Australia, governments will start seeing me in a very different light :biggrin: And I DO plan to see the world!!! And even better, once I get OZ citizenship, I don't think there will be many places I can't visit as a tourist. Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy how does THIS sound in a thread on '100 reasons why not to move to Australia' :biglaugh:

OK.

I've just done the mod thing on this thread and will go back through it later to remove a few more posts that quite frankly do nothing to help the topic or the tone of the thread.

Lets just say some of the stuff posted in this thread is uncalled for.

If you feel this thread (or any thread) or posts in it are intended to or trying to troll, please report your concerns using the ! button in the left hand username/avatar box of the post that concerns you. Please don't start discussing it in the thread. And regardless of what you think about the possibility of a person being a troll, don't descend into mean or catty comments or talking about the person like they were not able to read the thread.

Anyone wanting to argue their case to me can do so via PM. Although I don't promise to grow a heart on it any time soon :cute:. Anything posted in this thread about my modding it, I'll be deleting. There, I'm done :)

Now, back to topic.

In reply to the OP

I think you just need to calm down and not panic about everything you read online.

Honestly, that page was written back in 2009. Its old news. I recall reading it a year or two ago and actually being amused.

Anyways, some people have given some useful info and replies in the thread. I think the tax concerns should be sorted now.

Plenty of people read stuff online and wobble, its only natural, but don't get too excited and go into panic mode based off one article and replies to it.

As someone pointed out, often the people who are happy don't really ever feel the need to sign up to places like this to post. You'll find disgruntled people more likely to complain and often make things sound far worse than they usually are. I call it artistic embellishment or artistic licence :cute:

Honestly, do research on the things that concern you, but try to read official sites for tax and legal stuff where you can. And if you don't understand things, ask here and hopefully someone can help explain.

I can give u one reason.

Going to see ur 87 year old nan and telling her how the visa is going (because she asked because she's interested as nans are in anything grandsons do!) and hearing her say again how much she is going to miss me!!

You gotta do this for your own reasons and not listen to negatives of folks hear there and everywhere, u've got ur reasons why u started this process in the first place and don't forget them.

All of us could think of a 100 reasons not to go, but more importantly it's all the reasons why u do wanted to go are important!!

I'm off to continue my evening of feeling bad for making my nan sad!

Dale

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.266941,-0.889512

For example as a non-resident, I think you are not entitled to many benefits, better check that out first.

We met a family from Berkerly last week, and she could not get anything in terms of benefits in Australia.

I have found out that you may find you will need a car eventually as public service is NOT available everywhere....Austraia is a big country, transportation shud have been better if this is the case... You may find insurance cost much higher for you as a non-resident.Also on banking, Australia has the worst banking system in terms of customer service and rip off their customers.....

Hi

Your sister needs to get the visa first and then go validate it so she can she for herself you can't just take other people's word on everything. my family validated over the weekend and found out heaps when we got there and found public transport as good as anywhere.

I can honestly say in the nearly three years it took for us to get our visas we have never thought about having to claim benefits as we intend to hit the ground running and find jobs, any jobs so that we can pay our own way, that is supposed to be the Aussie way. The claiming of benefits as soon as you land is now sadly the British way.

Mrs Murky

Hi

Your sister needs to get the visa first and then go validate it so she can she for herself you can't just take other people's word on everything. my family validated over the weekend and found out heaps when we got there and found public transport as good as anywhere.

I can honestly say in the nearly three years it took for us to get our visas we have never thought about having to claim benefits as we intend to hit the ground running and find jobs, any jobs so that we can pay our own way, that is supposed to be the Aussie way. The claiming of benefits as soon as you land is now sadly the British way.

Mrs Murky

How can a number of people who have been experiencing living over there , earning paying taxes buying food going out partying , how can so many people at a time be WRONG ???

I have even checked our the tax website and also the tax caculator as someone hre suggested ro chk tht out...If for example u earn a sum of $50000 / year and you give $17,500 tax then what is left in ur pocket???

I thnk its something to think about?

How can a number of people who have been experiencing living over there , earning paying taxes buying food going out partying , how can so many people at a time be WRONG ???

I have even checked our the tax website and also the tax caculator as someone hre suggested ro chk tht out...If for example u earn a sum of $50000 / year and you give $17,500 tax then what is left in ur pocket???

No not just think about, but stress about something that hasn't happened, how far has your sister got with her visa and is it a permanent one? She needs to validate before making the move and in the worst case she can go home. Somehow I think you are obsessing over this more than the person who's live it may change for the better, are you sure your not trying to put her off?

What makes you think that everyone who has replied to you have never LIVED in OZ!!!

I personally find your response insulting!! Considering that you and your sister have never steped foot in Australia!

I have worked, paid tax, partyed ALOT, bought food, went out for food. And saved money to travel to country, at was earning less than $50,000.

Tax on a salary of $50,000 (excluding super) would be $7,850. This tax calculator works it all out for you: http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

As explained, you do not pay 35% on the whole lot. You pay nothing on the first $6,000, 15% on the next $21,000 and so on. In fact there is no 35% tax rate as far as I can see!

Guest guest59177

@hia - You almost sound sour to me. As in sour grapes. Have you possibly found out recently that your sister wouldn't qualify? Or maybe you are sour because your sister can enjoy herself while you will continue to languish where you currently are??

@everyone else - Can we post links to BREATHTAKING pics and vids which will make hia totally fall in LOVE with Australia???

I'll start off

this-is-kind-of-bogong-high-plains-victoria

The-Kimberleys-breathtaking-beauty---photo-courtesy-of-Orion.jpg

Australia_cape_york.jpg

Great-Barrier-Reef-Australia.jpg

Hinchinbrook-Kayaking.jpg

@hia - You almost sound sour to me. As in sour grapes. Have you possibly found out recently that your sister wouldn't qualify? Or maybe you are sour because your sister can enjoy herself while you will continue to languish where you currently are??

@everyone else - Can we post links to BREATHTAKING pics and vids which will make hia totally fall in LOVE with Australia???

I'll start off

this-is-kind-of-bogong-high-plains-victoria

The-Kimberleys-breathtaking-beauty---photo-courtesy-of-Orion.jpg

Australia_cape_york.jpg

Great-Barrier-Reef-Australia.jpg

Hinchinbrook-Kayaking.jpg

Cornwall ?

To be honest I've gone past the point of caring who the visa is for and wether the op is guy or girl. All I know (and incidentaly all I need to know is) they ask questions but don't listen to the answers and rub everyone up the wrong way by constantly saying we're all stupid because we want to go to Oz as it's soooooo expensive and crap. 'nuff said.:arghh:

Guest guest59177
Cornwall ?

Don't ask me, I just searched google and pasted :biggrin: But the pictures are of disparate places in Australia. You can check out the actual links to go to the websites and explore more.

Tax on a salary of $50,000 (excluding super) would be $7,850. This tax calculator works it all out for you: http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

As explained, you do not pay 35% on the whole lot. You pay nothing on the first $6,000, 15% on the next $21,000 and so on. In fact there is no 35% tax rate as far as I can see!

Include the super annuation also....