100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

Guest guest59177

I think hia is forgetting a very important point here. It is currently next to impossible to immigrate to America, Britian, Canada, or Newzealand. And it is going to become next to impossible to immigrate to Australia from next year. And taxes and what nots set aside, hands down Australia would be better than where you currently are at I suppose. If so, then you have your decision made for you. Instead of starting threads titles 100 reasons to not go, start threads seeking knowledge about various aspects of Australian life. You'll get MUCH more mileage that way.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think hia is forgetting a very important point here. It is currently next to impossible to immigrate to America, Britian, Canada, or Newzealand. And it is going to become next to impossible to immigrate to Australia from next year. And taxes and what nots set aside, hands down Australia would be better than where you currently are at I suppose. If so, then you have your decision made for you. Instead of starting threads titles 100 reasons to not go, start threads seeking knowledge about various aspects of Australian life. You'll get MUCH more mileage that way.

why do you think it'll become next to impossible next year? financial? you have me a little worried, as i have to confess, as much as i want to come over ive been dragging my heels with paperwork, im not a fan of it!

Guest guest59177
why do you think it'll become next to impossible next year? financial? you have me a little worried, as i have to confess, as much as i want to come over ive been dragging my heels with paperwork, im not a fan of it!

Well, the new 'Selection Model' will make you first provide an 'Expression of Interest'. They will then rank the applications according to points awarded. For each occupation, the top ranked applicants will be INVITED to lodge an application. There will be a fixed number of slots for each occupation (vs. the current situation where if you simply pass the points test you are in, no per occupation slots) and if they all get filled then bye bye to the rest of the people who 'expressed interest'. In this competition you will be up against PhDs with 8+ years of experience. I suppose 'next to impossible' is a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea...

Hia.

If you are worried about whether living in Australia is affordable then you should do some research as others have suggested.

Looking at wages for your type of work and then looking at rent/buying will give you an indication of how affordable it is. People comparing house prices/rent are not comparing like for like even when comparing Oz to USA. Australia has a smaller population and is much larger than the UK, the majority of Australia live around the main 5/6 cities so really to compare Oz housing to the UK you need to compare to housing in London. Of course you can get a big house with loads of land in the UK for the same money as a small place in Sydney but that's not the same.

Look at where in the city you would likely be working would it be the CBD or are there jobs all over the city? There is much more affordable housing 1+ hour out of the main cities in Oz. In the UK i travel 1+ hours to work every day so doing a similiar cimmute in Oz would not bother me.

I have not drawn up a really detailed list of outgoins once in Oz but i think it is affordable, yes some grocceries are more expensive, some cheaper/the same - it's swings and round-abouts really.

tax is probably very similiar to what you pay in the UK.

Petrol is cheaper.

cars are more expensive but then Ozzies keep their cars longer so second hand cars are not as cheap.

Look at the costs of shipping car/furniture because even though it might cost £3+k it will save you money when you get here.

To sum it up do some research and come back and ask more specific questions.:biggrin:

Guest guest59177

Oh, and if you would filter out all the hype and hoopla around tax rates etc., I can give you some points:

1. No 100% pure vanilla extract. It was a 90% solution in alcohol that smelt like homeopathic medicine.

2. Ditto for 100% pure peppermint oil.

3. Hmmmm really trying very hard now... not coming with anything substantive...

Everyone has their pet peeves about every place. That doesn't mean they don't want to go!!!!

thats another one im going to have to research, getting our car out there.

its a borderline case though because its only worth about 4000 uk

probably the wrong thread but do you think its worth bringing?

it'd be easier too tbh because its modded to run on cooking oil so is cheap as chips (quite literally) to run.

decisions decisions!:err:

If people going to Oz want to read only positive posts they should just ignore the negatives....positives and negatives are only what people who have lived or are living in Oz have experienced, you can stick your head in the sand and go laaa laaa laaa I'm not listining if someone say's a pint of ale is expensive in Oz, but it will be a shock when you get there and ask for 6 schooners of ale and then get the tab, so best know before you go.

Most negatives and positives are actually quite near the mark on this forum and I agree on about 90% of them positive and negative.

I completely agree with you..

We just want a decent not tooo weathy but unstressful life...Do u think Austraia has that kind of life as compared to the UK?

You are kidding right, living and working to survive is hard in any Country, why do you imagine you will have a less stressful life in Oz compared to the UK :eek: you still have to work hard, pay the bills and look after a family, nowhere in the world is stress-free at times unless you are a millionaire or a liar.

Hia, in a earlier post she said it was her sister moving, first it started off just asking simple advice which is fair enough, but then she started telling people their answers were wrong and the other people on the other forum must be right. its almost as if shes winding people up to get a reaction, as i said.. maybe im wrong but thats just my opinion

if shes serious then she should just do loads of research and make her own opinion on things

the funny thing is the other day when she was talking about her/or her sister ( still confused!) she said she wanted somewhere that wasnt that warm..

australias probably not the best place

if she believes every single negative thing about australia then why not just stay in the UK where its also cold enough for her :)

She/he not from the UK.

Hi well, its my sister whos going to immigrate and not me..But ofcourse if u love ut sister then u must be as worried abt stuff concerned to her as if it was happening with you..Thats wht i do..dunno about other poms here.

My sister is married and she doent hav that much tme as to sit on the internet so i do all the immigration reated things for her.I hope that doesnt pinch anyone in the back???Does it ?....

How on earth is it next to impossible to migrate to Britain? In the last 2 years we have seen 700,000 people migrate to an already over crowded Britain.

Guest guest59177
How on earth is it next to impossible to migrate to Britain? In the last 2 years we have seen 700,000 people migrate to an already over crowded Britain.

Well, the government's finally caught up to the reality. Tier 1 visas now require you to have made SIGNIFICANT advancements in your field that are WORLD REKNOWN. You need to get the stamp of approval from the likes of the 'Royal Society'. Tier 2 requires you to have sponsorship from an employer. The rest are for students and suches. I am not aware of any other way to come over for working and living. Pity really, I would LOVE to come over and work while my 'external checks' get done for the 175. The really sad thing with me is that recruiters in both Australia and U.K. are asking me about my visa situation. They've interviewed me otherwise and seem happy with everything. Oh well, hopefully soon...