100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

Guest Been there
hi all

just come across this post, i was the worst for reading advice on forums, my situation has been far from normal, for instance,

i have a criminal record,

we have a daughter whos natural dad is awol,

we're skint as our house in the UK is negative or will just break even

im over 36 so only could get a 457 unless i went for pr or state sponsor

we got married after our visa was applied for

i have had to travel out and set up home while my wife and kids sell up

an agent that was useless

and my work is in manly very expensive

so i should have just given up right......WRONG

im on 65k plus super, and we will get help through LAFHA, yes it will be tight but you can easily find where to shop for food, even if you go to woolworth is about the same as waitrose, rent is expensive but stop looking for the brick built detached with a drive way and start looking for new built town houses with a pool!!!!

STOP COMPARING TO THE UK and you will be fine.......... rant over

but to finalise not all advise on here and other forums is bad just use your knoodle, good luck to all that are planning the jump,

i cannot find a negative and i can only speak to the ones i love on skype every night, i should be depressed but im just so excited to show them all ive seen

steve

You're not your average pom are you? :wink:

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am, I said, The Walrus!

Aren't you worried, that, after nine years, you might have become 'institutionalised?' Nearly happened to me although my 'sentence' was twelve years.

Lol, worried, yes - but will it stop me = hell No!

I know what people mean about Repat anxiety, i swear I seem to be more worried than darling hubby (mind you he's still drooling about the fishing....)

today was my last day at work (in UK) and I now have almost 3 days left with the Satchdog before she goes flying through the air. Another day or so after that before movers have been and gone....

I have 8 days until I head off..... and another couple of weeks until DH joins me :)

The big bills are paid, now it's just time for panic cleaning before it's all too late.

It's the best feeling in the world :)

F&(k all the reasons people spout about not moving to Oz, just bloody well do it :)

Unless you're an annoying git, in which case - just don't, we don't want you :)

Lol, worried, yes - but will it stop me = hell No!

I know what people mean about Repat anxiety, i swear I seem to be more worried than darling hubby (mind you he's still drooling about the fishing....)

today was my last day at work (in UK) and I now have almost 3 days left with the Satchdog before she goes flying through the air. Another day or so after that before movers have been and gone....

I have 8 days until I head off..... and another couple of weeks until DH joins me :)

The big bills are paid, now it's just time for panic cleaning before it's all too late.

It's the best feeling in the world :)

F&(k all the reasons people spout about not moving to Oz, just bloody well do it :)

Unless you're an annoying git, in which case - just don't, we don't want you :)

I left England - from Gatwick on Dan (D)air on 24th October, 1978, into the 'great unknown!'

I arrived back in England - at Heathrow on BA on 14th October, 1996, into the 'little unknown!

Now I've been back in Australia for nearly three years.......

It's funny thinking about where you are living in the UK - Canterbury with its cathedral.

I just imagined all migrants to Sydney being subject to a new rule. The windows on the aircraft are all closed as the plane flies over the city - no views of the Bridge, Opera House, Harbour, Beaches. Then taken from the airport by closed coach to.... Canterbury, NSW and finally let out into their new home by the Macca at the junction of Canterbury Road & ?New Canterbury Road?

No, that's no good, that's Hurlstone Park I think? Got to go a few more K down Canterbury Road. There, you can come out now, take a look at your new home.

What a shock!? The looks on the 'new chums' faces - seeing the used car yards, the warehouses, the fast food cafes. 'Where's the Opera House? Where's the Bridge? Where's the beach?

I think the best way I heard somebody put it is that you can either to choose to have a sunny version of your British life, or a completely new life altogether.

I'm not worried about money, I'm going to go over there with my family and do things differently.

I have to work on the rigs here, 28 days on-28 days off, and it still feels like a struggle to pay all the bills.

I'll be happy to live in a cheap suburb, work local (which I have organised already) and sleep in my own bed every night.

Maybe I could have done that in Britain, but it would have meant leaving Aberdeen anyway.

Not sure what my point was.......but I like Steve's attitude. None of this whining pom stuff.

I'll be on 65k too....is it easy enough to get by?

Guest guest22466

Australia is NOW a very expensive place to live so either come with loads of money or get yourselves really good jobs and your teeth sorted out before you get here too and try not to get sick and need any treatment fast unless you bring lots of money. Enjoy driving for hours to get anywhere. Enjoy paying nearly more for everything here in OZ than you do in the UK. Your house may be bigger here but so will your payments. Public schools are shockers so dig deep for private school fees....it is harder to get on the propery ladder here cos houses cost more so deposit more etc....JUST COME WITH BAGS OF MONEY AND BE HAPPY TO BE RIPPED OFF..........

Now on the brighter side of Australia weather lovely can get hot in summer but get out your bags of money out for the air con.....nice expensive food....nice places to visit...in general friendly nice people.....no but on a more serious note BRING BAGS OF MONEY WITH YOU......THE AUSTRALIAN IMMIGRATION LOVE YA POMMY MONEY LOL......

May I add Australia was not always this expensive so someones experience of migration could be different...ive been here 10 years and yes it has gone sky high in that time ........

Australia is an expensive beautiful sunny looking country....

I think the best way I heard somebody put it is that you can either to choose to have a sunny version of your British life, or a completely new life altogether.

I'm not worried about money, I'm going to go over there with my family and do things differently.

I have to work on the rigs here, 28 days on-28 days off, and it still feels like a struggle to pay all the bills.

I'll be happy to live in a cheap suburb, work local (which I have organised already) and sleep in my own bed every night.

Maybe I could have done that in Britain, but it would have meant leaving Aberdeen anyway.

Not sure what my point was.......but I like Steve's attitude. None of this whining pom stuff.

65k with a family is impossible in my opinion, will your wife be bringing an income in?

Guest SupportPants

Where are you moving to and what sort of visa? 65k isn't going to be easy and unless you are somewhere regional ( and without school fees) possibly impossible. It's bloomin' expensive in Oz.

Guest SupportPants
65k will be the bare minimum, there will be overtime and allowances on top of that. Plus whatever family assistance benefits there are. I've never claimed anything like that before being a high earner in the UK but I don't see why not.......

Rent is going to be $320 a week in Penrith, NSW.

It's about 26k equivalent. Are you on a 457? PR would be much easier if you have that?

Guest Been there
Australia is NOW a very expensive place to live so either come with loads of money or get yourselves really good jobs and your teeth sorted out before you get here too and try not to get sick and need any treatment fast unless you bring lots of money. Enjoy driving for hours to get anywhere. Enjoy paying nearly more for everything here in OZ than you do in the UK. Your house may be bigger here but so will your payments. Public schools are shockers so dig deep for private school fees....it is harder to get on the propery ladder here cos houses cost more so deposit more etc....JUST COME WITH BAGS OF MONEY AND BE HAPPY TO BE RIPPED OFF..........

Now on the brighter side of Australia weather lovely can get hot in summer but get out your bags of money out for the air con.....nice expensive food....nice places to visit...in general friendly nice people.....no but on a more serious note BRING BAGS OF MONEY WITH YOU......THE AUSTRALIAN IMMIGRATION LOVE YA POMMY MONEY LOL......

May I add Australia was not always this expensive so someones experience of migration could be different...ive been here 10 years and yes it has gone sky high in that time ........

Australia is an expensive beautiful sunny looking country....

I can see your motto is "never let the facts get in the way of a good story".

Guest SupportPants
I can see your motto is "never let the facts get in the way of a good story".

Really? Unless you came over with the exchange rate at 2.5 and set yourself up I reckon that post is true. The expense of things here is crazy

I'm on a PR visa already. Went the long way round......none of this working holiday nonsense!!

This is just my first job offer too. I'm an industrial sparky with oil & gas experience. There are plenty of other opportunities. This may just be a stepping stone....

Please remember you will have to get your Electricians Licence when you get here - not cheap either!

Really? Unless you came over with the exchange rate at 2.5 and set yourself up I reckon that post is true. The expense of things here is crazy

Came back to Australia after 12 years in the UK with an exchange rate in the $1.60 region and after one year we have saved enough for a decent deposit on a house in Brisbane. Our income is relatively less than what we earned in the UK but we are saving heaps more. Guess it is just different for everyone.

Guest guest22466
Please remember you will have to get your Electricians Licence when you get here - not cheap either!

No its not cheap your right...........

All this talk about relative prices/costs perplexes me. I can understand tourists constantly comparing prices to 'home' but when you live here, don't you forget about them after a while? I've long forgotten how much I paid for milk/bread/beer/petrol etc in the UK.

I'm going out for a meal in a minute - probably to The Shakespeare Hotel as they have all their meals set at $12.50 - 'Barra, chips, salad' in my case plus two or three schooners at about $5.50 each. I could care less about what that is in GBP or how it compares to a meal & a couple of pints of Bass at The Roebuck or The Pilgrim in Marchwood, Hants.

How do people do it? Are they spending a couple of hours a day looking at Tesco/Asda/Morrisons' websites then doing the same for Coles/Woolies/Franklins?

That's almost as sad as the 'Men's Nursery' at Ikea someone was on about today!

All this talk about relative prices/costs perplexes me. I can understand tourists constantly comparing prices to 'home' but when you live here, don't you forget about them after a while? I've long forgotten how much I paid for milk/bread/beer/petrol etc in the UK.

I'm going out for a meal in a minute - probably to The Shakespeare Hotel as they have all their meals set at $12.50 - 'Barra, chips, salad' in my case plus two or three schooners at about $5.50 each. I could care less about what that is in GBP or how it compares to a meal & a couple of pints of Bass at The Roebuck or The Pilgrim in Marchwood, Hants.

How do people do it? Are they spending a couple of hours a day looking at Tesco/Asda/Morrisons' websites then doing the same for Coles/Woolies/Franklins?

That's almost as sad as the 'Men's Nursery' at Ikea someone was on about today!

:laugh::wink: