100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Morry52
Thanks for the very lame suggestion...

I just want to clear out the ambiguity that is goin on in my head for a while...

Can somebody debate on the tax rate that AUS charge on one saary...Is it really 30 ro 40%%%%% ??? Ehhhh

Please discuss...

Hi ,

I,ve just joined and have been in Australia since 1973, thats longer than a life sentence, hope to get back to kent next year if they give my Australian wife a visa as we are both in our 60,s. Anyway as no-one answered this question, here are the tax scales.

Taxable income

Tax on this income

$0 – $6,000

Nil

$6,001 – $37,000

15c for each $1 over $6,000

$37,001 – $80,000

$4,650 plus 30c for each $1 over $37,000

$80,001 – $180,000

$17,550 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000

$180,001 +

$54,550 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

Also very very important....keep your UK national insurance contributions up, you can do this from overseas and like me you will regret it later if you dont.

Cheers, Morry52

Hi ,

I,ve just joined and have been in Australia since 1973, thats longer than a life sentence, hope to get back to kent next year if they give my Australian wife a visa as we are both in our 60,s. Anyway as no-one answered this question, here are the tax scales.

Taxable income

Tax on this income

$0 – $6,000

Nil

$6,001 – $37,000

15c for each $1 over $6,000

$37,001 – $80,000

$4,650 plus 30c for each $1 over $37,000

$80,001 – $180,000

$17,550 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000

$180,001 +

$54,550 plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000

Also very very important....keep your UK national insurance contributions up, you can do this from overseas and like me you will regret it later if you dont.

Cheers, Morry52

Hi Morry

Sorry to burst you bubble but it was answered in post #16

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/1202112-post16.html

Hi ,

Cheers, Morry52

I'm confused about this - I can understand that it is good if you are planning to retire in the UK but In Aus/NZ/South Africa - isn't your pension 'frozen' at the rate in the year you left the UK or started the pension?

Guest Smudger2go
I'm confused about this - I can understand that it is good if you are planning to retire in the UK but In Aus/NZ/South Africa - isn't your pension 'frozen' at the rate in the year you left the UK or started the pension?

I believe that the amount you can draw on your pension is frozen from the first day you draw it, instead of going up with inflation, if you are not living in the UK. I've seen several pension posts discussing it.

I believe that the amount you can draw on your pension is frozen from the first day you draw it, instead of going up with inflation, if you are not living in the UK. I've seen several pension posts discussing it.

That's what I thought too - the reason for the constant campaigning by groups representing pensioners in the Commonwealth countries. It's purely a financial decision by the UK Govt.

I was in the PO pension scheme for the 12 years I went back so I 'opted out' of ?Serps? so the amount I would get is not that much anyway.

That is why I wondered whether it is still worth to pay the extra into NI if I am not going to reap the benefit living in OZ?

Its not all about money, I dont look into tax rates to much or compare countries bases on the financial savings I could make etc. I want to live in Australia no matter what it costs. I can afford more here that the UK, for others its the other way round. Live (if possible) where you want to live, that makes you happy.

Something to think about...

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, he said:

“Man.

Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.

Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;

the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;

he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Guest guest59177
Its not all about money, I dont look into tax rates to much or compare countries bases on the financial savings I could make etc. I want to live in Australia no matter what it costs. I can afford more here that the UK, for others its the other way round. Live (if possible) where you want to live, that makes you happy.

Something to think about...

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, he said:

“Man.

Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.

Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;

the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;

he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

If it ever turns out that the Tibetan Monks have been sitting on a nice stash of gold, it would punch a few holes through the otherwise stolid veneer of austerity :biggrin:

I never bother comparing prices/costs between the two countries simply because I only live in one of them although I DO depend upon the other for one of my sources of income.

That thing about the UK pension annoys me because it is so wrong and unfair. My Dad was never on the dole in his entire life and he gave six years to the Army in WW2.

But if he had chosen to retire to OZ to be close to his sons then he would have been paid a smaller pension simply because he chose to live in Australia.

And of course when he needed 24X7 nursing home care there was very little assistance from a grateful Government there.

It's this sort of thing that makes so many, otherwise kind and giving people, get angry about foreign aid that ends up in Third World Dictators' Swiss Bank Accounts and money spent on refugees.

How can they afford one and not the other? How can we afford to pay for medical care for refugees if we cannot afford to pay for it for our elderly?

Guest Been there
I am, I said, The Walrus!

Aren't you worried, that, after nine years, you might have become 'institutionalised?' Nearly happened to me although my 'sentence' was twelve years.

My sentence was 13+ years, sadly something I can never get back.

Guest Been there
What? You have been given four years remission for good behaviour? Don't think of it as a waste - write a book about it - a warning perhaps?

A warning to poms to escape from blighty? I'll let them work it out for themselves.

Guest GoldCoastMag

I knew you were not a ping pong pom, but just want to warn you that there is such a thing as repat anxiety!

I had only lived overseas for 5 years and found some things that I had forgotten how to do.

I seemed to have to provide more proof of my status than my Oh with his newly minted visa.

But a year later it all seems so much better and I never had regrets about returning home.

I am sure you will be fine but it is worth recognising that some repats do struggle to fit in when they first return.

I am the boomerang :)

Lived in UK for almost 9 years and finally making it home for good in 9 days!!

hi all

just come across this post, i was the worst for reading advice on forums, my situation has been far from normal, for instance,

i have a criminal record,

we have a daughter whos natural dad is awol,

we're skint as our house in the UK is negative or will just break even

im over 36 so only could get a 457 unless i went for pr or state sponsor

we got married after our visa was applied for

i have had to travel out and set up home while my wife and kids sell up

an agent that was useless

and my work is in manly very expensive

so i should have just given up right......WRONG

im on 65k plus super, and we will get help through LAFHA, yes it will be tight but you can easily find where to shop for food, even if you go to woolworth is about the same as waitrose, rent is expensive but stop looking for the brick built detached with a drive way and start looking for new built town houses with a pool!!!!

STOP COMPARING TO THE UK and you will be fine.......... rant over

but to finalise not all advise on here and other forums is bad just use your knoodle, good luck to all that are planning the jump,

i cannot find a negative and i can only speak to the ones i love on skype every night, i should be depressed but im just so excited to show them all ive seen

steve