100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's the difference, if you get taxed much higher. I have friends both in the lower-end of income class, here is the comparison.

They are both working in airports as baggage handlers. In Australia, he gets paid $12 a hour, gets taxed, gets maybe $8 an hour.

My other friend works in US, gets $10 per hour, get taxed at 9%, also goes home at $8 an hour

But living cost in US is 50% to 100% cheaper depending on where you live..so those in US actually make much better return at the end of the day. ...

I was always under the impression that baggage handlers were well paid. Certainly far more than $12 per hour.

Hia.

If you are worried about whether living in Australia is affordable then you should do some research as others have suggested.

Looking at wages for your type of work and then looking at rent/buying will give you an indication of how affordable it is. People comparing house prices/rent are not comparing like for like even when comparing Oz to USA. Australia has a smaller population and is much larger than the UK, the majority of Australia live around the main 5/6 cities so really to compare Oz housing to the UK you need to compare to housing in London. Of course you can get a big house with loads of land in the UK for the same money as a small place in Sydney but that's not the same.

Look at where in the city you would likely be working would it be the CBD or are there jobs all over the city? There is much more affordable housing 1+ hour out of the main cities in Oz. In the UK i travel 1+ hours to work every day so doing a similiar cimmute in Oz would not bother me.

I have not drawn up a really detailed list of outgoins once in Oz but i think it is affordable, yes some grocceries are more expensive, some cheaper/the same - it's swings and round-abouts really.

tax is probably very similiar to what you pay in the UK.

Petrol is cheaper.

cars are more expensive but then Ozzies keep their cars longer so second hand cars are not as cheap.

Look at the costs of shipping car/furniture because even though it might cost £3+k it will save you money when you get here.

To sum it up do some research and come back and ask more specific questions.:biggrin:

Why do we need to compare Aussie house prices with London? Never heard that one before.

Have to say I'm frog eyed after reading the last 24 pages, we had 7 months to prepare ourselves for our move to Oz researh etc and the way I saw it theres pros and cons to every country.

If Australia is that bad why are so many people emirgrating here for a better life.

We decided to give it a try at least we wouldn't look back in years to come and say what if?

Life is what YOU make it not negative forums and when your offered friendly advice listen to it then make your own mind up.

Australia is a fine country and many find a decent life here that amounts to a far better lifestyle than they experienced at home.

At the same time I believe it is misleading calling it a paradise. It surely isn't. It often takes a lot of sweat and tears for many to get to a place that's comfortable.

I would say far more so than a few years back. Australia is well worth giving a go but be aware of possible pitfalls.

Don't bother reading all those negative comments- most of them are complete fabrications anyway. Best thing is, these whinging poms usually go home and leave the rest of us in our paradise....

Paradise :eek: is there such a place, one man's paradise is another man's hell, some people like Oz some people like the UK, and all the negatives I have read and all the positives I have read I can relate to.

How can you say they are fabrications when they are someones experiences?

Australia is a fine country and many find a decent life here that amounts to a far better lifestyle than they experienced at home.

At the same time I believe it is misleading calling it a paradise. It surely isn't. It often takes a lot of sweat and tears for many to get to a place that's comfortable.

I would say far more so than a few years back. Australia is well worth giving a go but be aware of possible pitfalls.

But how can you talk for the individual, you can only speak for yourself, my quality of life is far better in Stratford than it was in Perth but I am still going to try another part of Oz in the next couple of years.

But how can you talk for the individual, you can only speak for yourself, my quality of life is far better in Stratford than it was in Perth but I am still going to try another part of Oz in the next couple of years.

Which is wht I stated the term' for many'. It was not a better move for me on reflection on purely economic grounds but for many it does appear to be.

Although I would question everything these days with the cost of things here. Even some try and deny that.

Which is wht I stated the term' for many'. It was not a better move for me on reflection on purely economic grounds but for many it does appear to be.

Although I would question everything these days with the cost of things here. Even some try and deny that.

People who move to Oz are people who want to leave the UK for whatever reason, I often wonder if you moved the whole population of the UK to Oz how many would want to return?

90%?

then DIAC is a big corporation which can employee 100 people to speak sweet about them...can't they? May be some of them here are their people just to say everything good abt the country ..

And exactly why would DIAC give a tinker's cuss whether anyone spoke sweetly about them?

1. They have more work than they can handle, so they're not exactly desperate to drum up more business.

2. The employees are on a fixed government salary...they don't get paid a commission for each migrant landed in this country, you know.

3. DIAC is a federal government department based in Canberra.

Everyone in Australia knows that Canberra public servants don't give a toss what anyone thinks of them :laugh:

Maybe the haters on the other forum own companies moving people back to the UK :wink::biggrin: