I'm MRI screened every 2yrs-what are my chances with meds?

mandymark

I have my meds soon but I'm not sure what the outcome of mine will be and would be grateful to hear from anyone who has regular screening for anything & got through the meds ok.

Without going into too much detail, I suffer from a rare genetic skin condition which has been passed down from my Father. It has been highlighted recently that there is a link between my condition & renal cancer so I now have to have kidney MRIs every 2 years with annual ultrsound on the year in between. The condition is very rare so the exact risks are uncertain but I've been told its probably a 10-16% chance of me developing cancer & the average onset is 44yrs old.

Apart from the screening, I do not take any medication & there are no other associated health costs. I have quite a few urology, genetics & dermatology letters that I plan to take to my meds.

I am fully expecting my meds to be referred, but I'd like to know what my chances are of getting through the meds. Thanks in advance. Please feel free to PM me if you dont wish to reply on the forum.

Mandy x

Hi, sorry I do not know and I guess others also don't know, your migration agent would probably have more idea if you have one.

However I can tell you that MRI's do not come cheap in Australia and you will have to pay either a co payment or a full payment for the scan. Only people with pension cards and disability cards are bulk billed.

My daughter has an MRI every year but she has been a patient of the hospital for many years so hers are bulk billed.

Not sure of the price but its in the hundreds of dollars.

Seeing as anyone has about a 33.3% of developing some kind of cancer in their lives statistically, your risk isn't that high in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry can't help with regards to if you will be turned away or not on the basis of this, but people with Hep and HIV have apparently gained visas and passed their meds (after being referred), so having a condition that means you have a tiny chance of getting renal cancer shouldn't pose much of an issue there. (Have to say I don't personally know the people who said they got their visas with med issues, just from reading on several forums etc) Hope that helps a bit, if you could come back and update people I'm sure that would be very helpful for anyone else with a medical worry though :)

Seeing as anyone has about a 33.3% of developing some kind of cancer in their lives statistically, your risk isn't that high in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry can't help with regards to if you will be turned away or not on the basis of this, but people with Hep and HIV have apparently gained visas and passed their meds (after being referred), so having a condition that means you have a tiny chance of getting renal cancer shouldn't pose much of an issue there. (Have to say I don't personally know the people who said they got their visas with med issues, just from reading on several forums etc) Hope that helps a bit, if you could come back and update people I'm sure that would be very helpful for anyone else with a medical worry though :)

Thanks, I've updated my original post a little as I've been given more info regarding age (I'm 41yrs old now), & I know that they say 1/3 people are likely to get cancer at some stage, but the possible onset is at an earlier than average age in my case, hence the screening. I guess it is hard to tell how the meds will go & maybe depends on the Dr at my meds & Sydney. I will update my post after the meds though.

Mandy

Take copies of your letters to be submitted with the medicals - the more information they have the less chance that they will need to request more information. I don't know how much MRI's cost, but an ultrasound recently cost me $194 of which I got about $92 back from medicare

Good luck with the medicals