Can I Be a Resident? (Please!)

Guest ianandjenna

Guest ianandjenna

Hey,

Was wondering if anyone could help us! We are a young couple (23) looking to stay a lot longer in Oz. I have a business degree and several sporting qualifications, and my boyfriend also has sporting qualifications. Would we be elligible to apply for residency to stay for another few years?

Any advice would be appreciated as we don't really want to do farm work and hopfully there is another way!

Hopefully someone can help as we are a little confused! :confused:

Thanks,

Jenna :wubclub:

Guest littlesarah

I think you really do need to do some research on this. It can be really tough to work out whether your occupation meets the requirements for a PR visa, and you need to know what type of visa you'd prefer.

You don't necessarily need to have a PR visa in order to live in Australia long-term, I know a number of people who came here as non-residents and then changed visa in order to obtain PR once they'd arrived.

There are many types of visa, and a registered migration agent can talk with you about your options, and how long it would take to sort things out. Best to get on it sooner rather than later, though, I'd say.

Hey,

Was wondering if anyone could help us! We are a young couple (23) looking to stay a lot longer in Oz. I have a business degree and several sporting qualifications, and my boyfriend also has sporting qualifications. Would we be elligible to apply for residency to stay for another few years?

Any advice would be appreciated as we don't really want to do farm work and hopfully there is another way!

Hopefully someone can help as we are a little confused! :confused:

Thanks,

Jenna :wubclub:

I assume you are already in Australia on Working Holiday Visa's ?

Your best option is to try and get sponsored either on a 457 or ENS, applying for GSM is offshore and unlikely to be processed by the time your current visa ends. At least getting employer sponsored onshore means you can get a bridging visa that you won't with an offshore visa.

Unfortunately getting a willing sponsor is not as easy as it sounds, your only other option is to do the 88 farm work which will give you another year so if you qualified for PR you could still apply and hope to get it before your second year WHV runs out.

Of course you are going need at least $3000-$4000+ to cover the cost of GSM application which is another consideration.