You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

MelbournePhom

457 Visa - Advice needed!

Hey everyone, glad I found this forum it looks useful.

I have been working in Australia since May 10th this year on a Work and Travel Visa (subclass 417) as Web Developer in the Melbourne CBD. I have a restriction on my Visa meaning I can only work for each employer for a maximum of 6 months, which means I can only work up until 9th November for my current employer.

I approached my boss about sponsorship of the 457 Visa, he was happy to sponsor me but it doesn't seem possible as I am a contractor and not technically "permanent" (although he said he would offer me a 1 year contract). I spoke to my contracting agency and they are not eligible to sponsor employees.

I now have 2 options, any advice would be greatly appreciated:

1. Find a way to stay at my current job and get a 457 Visa. Does anyone know if ANY contracting companies can offer 457 sponsorship, as mine can't.

2. Start looking for a new job. However I would only be interested in working for a new employer that could sponsor me for a 457 Visa. When do you think I should mention this to the potential employer? On my CV/cover letter or at the interview?

Cheers.

Sounds like you need to get a new job if the guys that you for at the minute won't give you a permanent role. Or else they need to offer you a permanent position, if they won't then you don't really owe them anything!

When I was applying for jobs in Sydney I was saying on my cover letter that I was looking to get sponsored. If you have been working in your last job for 6 months then I imagine that you are fairly decent at it and getting a similar role will be easy enough, just say you are looking sponsored.

:) Let me know how you get on.

There are loads of jobs here in melbourne for someone with your skills. Id try searching for something else and be direct in your letter of interest that you are on a working visa, looking for a 457. Being here already helps your prospects.

Im sure for a 457 the contract has to be for a little longer than 1 year. The company i work for seem to offer 2 yr term contracts that can be extended to the 4 yr of the 457. Usually by the end of 1 yr the company will sponser for PR.

Good luck

....Living life in Aus....

Moved to Melb on 457 in Sept 2009, 856 granted June 2010 ... :em4000:...

Guest Emma Mackey

Hello,

It is harder for labour hire companies to become sponsors so it is not surprising that your current employer is not prepared to sponsor you.

However, business sponsorship status is attainable by many employers prepared to take the time and incur the cost to get sponsorship status. So it might be worth talking further with the company with whom you are presently placed about offering you a permanent position. There is lots of information for employers produced by the Dept of Immigration & Citizenship at immi.gov.au/skilled-workers/sbs/

Given the concessions provided to regional employers to sponsor overseas workers for permanent residency under the RSMS program, you might like to consider looking for employment in a regional area.

Best wishes,

Emma Mackey

MARN 1169802

Hey thanks a lot for all your advice everyone!

Yeah I'm a bit frustrated at the moment with the sponsorship situation at my current employer, as I'm in IT we are the ONLY department in the organisation that are hired all as contractors and not permanent. I've mentioned the only option if they wish to sponsor me is to make me a permanent member of staff but it's not possible even though they are very keen for me to stay. You have to have been here for like 3 years before they consider it. So I've sort of hit a brick wall with it!

I've got around 4-5 weeks to find a new job before my 6 months is up at my current employer, I've put a paragraph in my cover letter explaining my situation. Will just have to be persistent I think as I'm sure some employers don't want the hassle. Sent off 3 applications over the weekend, still waiting to hear back. We will see...

Cheers.

Just a quick update.

I applied for around 5-6 permanent roles at various points last week. I'm still waiting to hear back from most of them. I had one rejected however that job was advertised over 2 weeks ago, I was probably slightly under-qualified for it anyway. I'm certainly not for a lot of the other ones. I have decided to put the following paragraph in my cover letter:

"I should at this point mention that to work for your organisation for a period longer than 6 months I would need to apply for a Temporary Business Visa (subclass 457). This would allow me to work with your organisation for up to 4 years. This is something I am incredibly keen to apply for in the long term with the support of a willing employer. I am currently in Australia on a Work and Travel Visa which is valid until the 28th of April 2012."

I can't help but be a little bit paranoid they see this and think it's not worth the potential hassle!

I'll keep going with it though and keep the applications going, if I get to this point next week without an interview I might start to panic, I've still got 4-5 weeks to find a job but I'd rather not leave it late :rolleyes:

Hey guys good news :cool:

Managed to get a full time role where after my 3 month trial period they will kick-off the sponsorship process, this will give the whole process 3 months to go through, 457 processing time is around 2 months so that should be fine.

Thanks to everyone who has provided advice, much appreciated. I'll update this thread one day when hopefully I've been sponsored (we will see). Suffice to say it took a LOT of searching to find an employer that I could even get a first interview with, have a feeling a lot just see the line about sponsorship and my CV goes in the bin as it's too much hassle compared to Australian residents. Luckily my line manager has been sponsored by the company so he knows the process.

Cheers.