Plans well underway to move down under - now my UK job just got really good

Goochie

My wife and I have been planning to move to Perth for about 12 months. My skills assesment came through from Engineers Australia last week and I have my IELTS in 2 weeks.

One of the reasons I wanted to move was because in my line of work the pay is notoriously poor in the UK with countries such as Australia, Canada and Germany paying much better.

In the UK my role is on a similar level to a departmental manager in Tesco, but in Australia it would be more around the same level as an Aussie doctor or Vet - So you can see there is quite a difference.

With this and my wife's dislike of long haul flights we've already booked ourselves on a P&O cruise to Perth which departs in January 2013 and paid £1500 deposit with around £5000 due in October 2012.

Now for the problem...............

I'm currently writing this whilst sat in a hotel overlooking Hong Kong Harbour. The M.D. of the company and I have been travelling China reviewing the work done by various factories. This is something I do about once a year and is generally seen as a perk of the job to compensate for poor pay.

However, over dinner yesterday he explained his plans for the company's expansion and the role in that he would like me to play.

Without going into details, it would mean I would jump through the pay ceiling I'm currently at to where I'd like to be - More than doubling my salary.

He's not the type to lie about this kind of thing and if he's happy to tell me about it I know it will happen as promised.

He also said they're toying with the idea of opening an office in Hong Kong and it may be possible for my wife and I to move here.

So, this morning I've woken up completely confused. I dont know if I should laugh or cry, carry on for Oz or hold out for longer.

Why do these things always seem to happen like this? Good things seem to be like buses. You wait ages for one and then two come along together.

Do you really want to live in crowded Hong Kong though? even if the chance does come along.

Check with your wife to see what she thinks.

I find the "perk" of business travel is a bit of a furphy too. I much prefer being at home and travelling on business is not half as nice as it sounds. Sitting on a plane for hours and staying in hotels is not my idea of fun, especially in China.

The cruise sounds great. I would still do that even if you don't emigrate.

Well it looks like you have all bases covered, I would carry on with the OZ application, yes I know it is a lot of money but you are still in the early stages and it will take a bit of time to sort the visa out if it is a 175 or 176. Then you have a year to validate after that and years to actually get to OZ. So realistically you have at the least 4years to make the decision.

Just remember if you give it up now and go with the bosses plans you put your future in your bosses hands. He may be making all the right sounds right now but what about a years time? He hasn't given you anything in writing eg pay and role so really he can change his mind any time and feed you the sorry Goochie I know I promised you but it is the economy so my hands tied "Bull".

M8 put your destiny in your own hands!

Guest Watergirl

I'd definitely carry on with plans because things can and do change and there is no guarantee. Is your boss aware of your plans? Employers often dangle things in front of employees to entice them to stay. This is usually because they do not want the cost and hassle of recruiting a suitable replacement.

I would also wonder why it had taken so long to have my hard work recognised. If they're going to almost double your salary surely that's an admission that you've been well underpaid.

Guest guest37336

Hi mate.

Call me an old skeptic,:yes:, but does the boss know of your plans?

Employers have at times a tendency to promise the earth, but deliver very little, especially if you have been good at your job in the past and rarely bitched about this and that.

I am not for one second mate saying that this is the case, could as I said be me being skeptical and stung once too often.:mad:

Anyway, what I would do personally is take both options mate, don't put all your eggs in one basket, only my opinion my friend is all.:wubclub:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest Guest 47403

As already said above carry on with the visa process so you keep your options open, If the job turns into what your boss mentioned and your career was the only reason for considering moving stay put. If the job doesn't materialise off you go.

Thanks for all the replies.

To answer some of the questions above, my employer has no idea about my plans to move. Of all the people they may expect to leave I would be at the very bottom of the list - I really enjoy what I do but I could do the same thing elsewhere, get the same satisfaction and get more money with it.

The business travel thing depends on where you go, who it's with and the standard of the places you stay. I'm very fortunate to be able to fly everywhere on Virgin on Upper class where you get a decent lay flat bed on the plane. On the way home from my recent trip I slept for 9 hours on the 11 hour flight.

I'm also lucky enough to stay in some very nice hotels - If its a Hilton I'm disappointed!

I've decided to carry on with my application. I've looked into things a little further and decided that I can always hop over to Perth from Hong Kong to validate my visa if I need a while longer to make up my mind - That way I dont even have to pay the full fare from the UK as the company will pay the bit to and from Hong Kong - I just have to take a few days holiday.