Renting in Sydney on a WHV

Guest Shock Bok

Guest Shock Bok

Hi there,

I had a quick question about renting.

I am planning on coming to Australia to look for work on a WHV. I’m a Project Coordinator.

I was looking at living in Sydney as there seems to be the most jobs there, however, I realise it is also the most expensive city. I was last in Sydney in December 2010 on a RTW so I only really spent time in the city.

Can anyone advise me on the areas in Sydney such as where to avoid, what areas are recommended, what areas are the best value for money if that exists?

As my aim is to eventually get sponsored by an employer so I will be looking at house shares. What sort of prices are considered reasonable for a decent-sized room, a lounge, obviously kitchen and a backgarden or patio area?

And the million dollar question, how easy/hard is it to secure a short-term house share? I would consider 3 month contracts but I would prefer to be in a 6 month contract.

Sorry for lots of questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

J

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi J

I will move your post in to the Backpackers/WHV forum in the hope some of our members who are in Sydney can advise.

Kate

Join the YHA before you leave, stay in one of their hostels or one of the many private ones around Central Station, Kings X or Bondi/Coogee.

There are a few places that do rented rooms too - I've seen them as I walk around Surry Hills & Redfern. There are probably a few private hotels about too - I stayed in one of them for a year back in 1979.

Check out www.domain.com.au I just did a search for rented property up to a maximum of $200 per week in post code 2000.

Paddington

Price $160 Property type House Bedrooms 1 Bathrooms 10 Car spaces –

• 6136783_1_TE.JPG?mod=111008-000000

162 Flinders Street PADDINGTON

Single Rooms @ Captain Cook Hotel - from $160pw

Eastern Suburbs/Inner City Living - Affordable Prices - Single or Share Accommodation ! A selection of FULLY FURNISHED single, double and twin rooms available for short to medium term accommo...

Viewable for this property:

I don't know what the rooms are like but I know the pub - had a nice meal there a few months back $10 steak. The location is perfect, buses outside the door to the city and out to the eastern subs. You could walk to the city from there and Surry Hills, Paddo, Darlo are all within easy walking distance. Handy for the SCG too and Fox Studios.

I stayed in The Orange Grove hotel at LIlyfield for a couple of weeks, was OK, nice location.