Shipping London --> Sydney HLP PLZ

Guest n00dlez

Hey All,

I'm new here *waves* am am looking to relocate from London to Sydney. I have had a quick look online and have come across quite a few companies who offer this service, but am looking for some help from members here.

I've done a quick search, but my n00b skillz aren't showing too much up - so if I'm going back over something that has been done over and over - I'M SORRY!! (if someone can point me in the right direction i'll stop re-inventing the wheel!)

I have found the following companies (some of whom advertise on the forums) and am going to be asking them if they subscribe to any industry forums etc. but is this of any relevance?

I want to make sure that when we book it we end up with the people who are going to ship the goods, not the people who farm it out to others - this way we can hopefully keep control over timelines and if anything were to break along the way and not end up in a war of finger pointing... although this may still happen... :confused:

I don't have too much to ship, but there are some bulky items (piano keyboard, guitar, TV, lounge chair etc) - and then clothes, crockery, kitchen tools and a heap of cooking books (and my birthday present of a new Miele oven!)... weird choice I know, but hey - why not!

All up I would think it's about 30m2 - maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less... haven't really gotten it down to a fine art as yet!

I have read a short post on some people who used Pickfords (here) but it seems to sort of end with no suggestions etc.

I have also found these companies:

We moved with Allied Pickfords when we moved out here, however this was managed by a relocation team from the office I was going to work in - and as such I never got to deal with them directly...

has anyone used the above? Any advice?

Any ball-park ideas on what this exercise will cost - and did you have the teams turn up, pack the boxes and take them or did you pack the boxes yourselves?

If you pack the boxes yourselves how do you cover for breakages (as they are unsure if the items were broken before they were packed etc).

Thanks!!!

n00dlez

Guest Guest31881
Hey All,

I have found the following companies (some of whom advertise on the forums) and am going to be asking them if they subscribe to any industry forums etc. but is this of any relevance?

n00dlez

Hi, Welcome to PIO, Sorry but your post got caught up in the system and was not showing, I have now sorted that for you and the post can be seen by everyone:wink:.

Just on the point of adverts on the forum, some of the advertisements that show on the PIO, we have no control over, So when you see these little flash advertisements that appear at the top and bottom of the pages, it does not mean that the company is endorsed by, or connected to PIO.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for :biggrin:

In the end we've decided to go with Doree Bonner - they weren't the cheapest of quotes (but were one of the cheaper).

They were the only company who agreed to come and see us out of business hours, and also one of the few companies that answered all my 'test' questions accurately.

Yes, I'm a cynic - I asked each company a few tricky questions that I already knew the answer to and compared their results. There were some interesting (and very wrong) responses!

One company said our home-made corkboard (made from all the wine corks we've drunk over the years) would be fine.. (HMMMMM)

Another said we wouldn't be able to take any of hubby's guitar templates because they're made from MDF (HMMMMMMM).

One quoted a door-to-door time of 5-6 weeks, interesting - given the time the boat will spend on the water....

Guest kiwiinusa

I would not use the same company again as I used for a move from UK to USA and things went well enough on the UK end, but then everything changed. They delivered an airfreight shipment 3 weeks late and initially to the wrong address, that was a nightmare as it had our daughters stuff in it we needed immediately on our arrival. Then the conditions of delivery changed and it all became very messy. They outsource the foreign country work and so have no control over quality, and that was a mess too. The office staff did not seem to care at all once they were paid and it all became very stressful, something you really don't need when you are trying to move countries. I would never recommend them to anyone.

Please PM me for details.