You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Trav1

Am I mad to want to emmigrate to Oz without visiting it first?

Guest Trav1

Hi

New to this so this may have been asked before!

Myself and my husband are wanting to emmigrate to Perth, however neither of us have even been to Oz let alone Perth and wonder if moving out without visiting first is a good idea?

Any advice would be appreciated!!:biggrin:

Somewhere so far, so expensive to move to, yeah, I'd think its a big risk jumping in blind. Honestly, its not like it is on TV soaps. And the move to Aus reality shows paint a bit of a picture also.

The day to day reality of life is much the same as anywhere. Go to work, earn to pay the bills, shop, clean and the usual grind. Same anywhere.

If you can afford it, take a holiday there, don't wear the rose tinted specs and spend a month or so, go to the city that appeals and have a good look round. Suburbs, work, places to visit, interests, costs. Even if you do it on the cheap, stay in hostels or some such, it'd be well worth a visit.

Guest Andy
Hi

New to this so this may have been asked before!

Myself and my husband are wanting to emmigrate to Perth, however neither of us have even been to Oz let alone Perth and wonder if moving out without visiting first is a good idea?

Any advice would be appreciated!!:biggrin:

Hi,

I guess the sensible thing to do would be to visit first, however i am kind of in the same boat, i my wife and our 3 children have our 175 visa's and are validating soon and i have never been, my wife has lived in oz though albeit a long time ago but i reckon on the whole you should visit first before commiting to the visa process as that is a very long expensive road, whatever you decide though good luck :cool:

IMHO it depends on what sort of person you are - are you likely to get there and go 'oh, its not like we thought, we're off', or are you more 'it is what it is, and whatever happens we're there for at least 5 years, if not the rest of our lives'?

We've never been to Oz, but for us know there is nothing left in the UK and we are desperate to escape (again - for us), and all the research we have done into Oz it seems like somewhere we can be happy. We certainly aren't in the UK, so have little/nothing to lose in our eyes. We also don't have pots of money to set up with over there, so every little counts to us.

So for us, we would rather have the money that we would spend on a reccie (probably at least a couple of K) towards our new lives, rather than spend it on a holiday that won't actually show us what its like to livein Australia at the end of the day anyway - if you want to move to Australia and go on holiday there you are more than likely to give things the benifit of the doubt with regards to whether things are liveable with or not, and you are also likely to just not come into contact with a lot of things that will be part of day to day life (putting the bins out, paying the electricity bill, getting an appointment with the dentist/doctor/gas man and so on and so forth).

Our view is - if you have the spare money and think you can be completely objective on a holiday there, then it makes sense, but if money is tight and you are more of a suck it and see type person, then go for it - life is short and its the experiences and ride that counts, not the end point imho. Obviously, if you have kids then things have to be a bit more cautious, but the overall thing is the same in our view, just with a bit more thought perhaps lol.

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

The funny thing, when you think about it is you don't generally buy a new sofa or bed without sitting/lying on it in store first. Nor do you usually buy a car without test driving it first (and getting it checked over possibly also). Same for buying a house or sending your child to a school, you visit first, look round, read the blurb and in the case of the house, often get a survey before committing totally.

So why, if a person is in a position to, would they not visit a country they are planning emigrating to.

I realise some people are not in a position financially, but if you can afford the return flights and a budget hotel for a few weeks, go make the most of it and see if you could see yourselves living there. Then come back and do the homework, right down to the last detail and see if it still stacks up as somewhere you want to live.

I think it depends on the person. I dont think ill be visiting before i move but im happy with that, i dont have children or anybody else to think about, my plan is to experience a different part of the world for a couple of years at least.

Its different for people who are selling houses, cars, bringing children etc.

Just have a good think before you decide x

Guest Neily

You certainly won't be alone in doing so Trav. If you can't go do LOTS of research, Australia it won't be to everyone's taste but it's got plenty going for it! So long as you are hardy enough to stick something out then if it's not all you hoped for straight away I'm sure you can make it work.

good luck!

I honestly think it is mad to emigrate without even having a holiday in the place you want to live and work in, Perth is honestly like marmite and to take a chance like that is not a good idea in my opinion.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

We came and I hadn't visited before, due to lack of time really (it kind of happened very quickly). This has also been the case in a previous relocation from Italy to the UK (always due to OHs job).

I would strongly suggest a visit beforehand.... look at it as an investment? Or at least a nice holiday!!! Oz is a bit too far away and the relocation complicated for you to say oh well we don't like it let's go home... and then what will you do if you really do hate it? I think it is a bit harsh for you to be following a dream only for it to turn into a nightmare. The financial implications of returing are not great either. Of course you may be fine and LOVE the place as soon as you step of the plane... and this is the case for a lot of folk. If you can afford it, have a visit.

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

We have been here now for over 3 1/2 years and we didn't vsit before moving.

We sold everything and just jumped - although we did do lots of research first.

We don't regret it and we were always going to give it at least a couple of years.

So I don't think you have to holiday here before living. Plus in my opinion holidays are not like actually living and working.

Just my thoughts.

Emma

:v_SPIN:

Emma (Early Childhood Teacher), Paul (carpenter), Louise (17) & Billy (13)

:smile:

Guest GoldCoastMag

Visiting is entirely different to living imho. I moved expecting to stay a minimum of 2 years, and stayed 30 plus.

It IS a different country, it is not the UK with sunshine. The culture the people the weather the costs are all discussed as nauseum on this forum but the only way you will know if living here will work for you is:

Live here!

We have been here now for over 3 1/2 years and we didn't vsit before moving.

We sold everything and just jumped - although we did do lots of research first.

Doing lots of research first is the secret of success if you don't do a reccie.

Try and forget the images of Oz you already have and approach it with fresh eyes. There is now stacks of information available on the internet.

And always bear in mind the size of Australia = Morocco to Norway north to south, UK to Russia east to west, so there is great difference in climate, topography, seasons (or lack of) etc. within Australia.

I think some people have a negative experience of migrating, not because they moved to Australia, but because they moved to an area of the country which didn't suit them.

I kinda think it is a good idea to visit first. But then in saying that you'd be on holiday so would prob have a fab time and base your coming on that anyway.

Before I came here my Mr gave me so much positive stories about how it is the best place in the world, lots to do, bla bla bla. Not for me. It is a lot of money to spend without knowing what lies ahead. BUt if you are in the position to do so then why not.

Doing lots of research first is the secret of success if you don't do a reccie.

Try and forget the images of Oz you already have and approach it with fresh eyes. There is now stacks of information available on the internet.

And always bear in mind the size of Australia = Morocco to Norway north to south, UK to Russia east to west, so there is great difference in climate, topography, seasons (or lack of) etc. within Australia.

I think some people have a negative experience of migrating, not because they moved to Australia, but because they moved to an area of the country which didn't suit them.

You can get 4 Australis into Russia.....how big is Russia :eek:.

four-and-half-oz_02.jpg

We never visited before moving. we gave up everything including our home, jobs, schools and our DS education as he was in the GCSE stage at grammar school. We upped and came without never stepping foot here before. My friend had lived here for many years, I have spent YEARS looking on expat sites and pictures and we came with an open mind.

I knew when I stepped foot of the plane my missing piece in my life was complete and found.

I feel I am at last 'home' strange as that is, but so does DH?

We disliked the UK though, did not want to bring the kids up there and did not want to retire in the UK, so we came with eyes wide open and fully prepared to deal with our emotions.

It wasnt a holiday, so we saw it as pointless spending thousands, we did not have, to visit it with blinkers in a relaxed way, we just jumped straight in :)

You can get 4 Australis into Russia.....how big is Russia :eek:.

I didn't say eastern Russia!

OK, I'll rephrase:

And always bear in mind the size of Australia = Morocco to Norway north to south, UK to Moscow east to west.

I wanted to highlight the diversity because I often see comments on PIO about other areas of Australia which are so different to my experiences that they may as well be talking about a foreign country. It's not because they are inaccurate but just because that area of Oz is so different to the part of Oz where I am living.

Did exactly what you are contemplating in 92. Things then were nowhere near as good on the job front and we both gave up good jobs to come. My wife is a nurse so got work after a couple of weeks. I am in IT and comms and was out of work for 5 months. After I got the first job though, never been out of work since.

It's booming here at the moment and anyone looking for work should be able to find something.

Never regretted our move for one second and felt like we made the right move from the day we arrived.

Depends what you want out of life though. If you like hot, settled, sunny summers with hardly a cloud in site, enjoy water sports, outdoor lifestyle, sport, you will love it.

If you like cooler weather, snow covered hills, visiting castles, cheap local pubs and the lifestyle that goes along with that, then maybe you won't like it as much.

Did exactly what you are contemplating in 92. Things then were nowhere near as good on the job front and we both gave up good jobs to come. My wife is a nurse so got work after a couple of weeks. I am in IT and comms and was out of work for 5 months. After I got the first job though, never been out of work since.

It's booming here at the moment and anyone looking for work should be able to find something.

Never regretted our move for one second and felt like we made the right move from the day we arrived.

Depends what you want out of life though. If you like hot, settled, sunny summers with hardly a cloud in site, enjoy water sports, outdoor lifestyle, sport, you will love it.

If you like cooler weather, snow covered hills, visiting castles, cheap local pubs and the lifestyle that goes along with that, then maybe you won't like it as much.

Good post paul, I knew after a few weeks I would never ever be able to settle in Perth, did not like the very hot weather and just found the place as a young person boring and none on the "buzz" I wanted, everyone is different and if I decide to try Oz again I will try somewhere different, Oz is a massive Country and all states are different, if you don't like one part try another before you decide to come home is my advice.

Mind you it aint a bad place to come back to if you decide Oz is not for you.

Good post paul, I knew after a few weeks I would never ever be able to settle in Perth, did not like the very hot weather and just found the place as a young person boring and none on the "buzz" I wanted, everyone is different and if I decide to try Oz again I will try somewhere different, Oz is a massive Country and all states are different, if you don't like one part try another before you decide to come home is my advice.

Mind you it aint a bad place to come back to if you decide Oz is not for you.

Thanks Perthbum. There's been a fair bit of money spent round Perth in the last few years and it's improving with lots more places to go.

I have a feeling I'm a fair bit older than you, we had just had our first and felt we were just treading water in the UK. We lived near Stockport and contemplated a move down South. Followed up on a couple of jobs but just couldn't afford the move. House prices in the South of the UK were about 3 times that for an equivalent place "up North" but the salaries not much more.

The wife and I had always loved being near the ocean and hot and sunny weather. Bit the bullet and never looked back. Been brilliant for us.

I can see why a younger person, who is looking to party might not like it. My eldest son never seemed to stop for a couple of years though. Always out somewhere but he grew up here and has loads of friends. Would be harder if you're a new arrival, have to make friends and break into new circles. He seems to have calmed down a lot now, still goes out plenty but has to get up for work early. Partying is mostly left to weekends now, or he goes off to Bali.

Thanks Perthbum. There's been a fair bit of money spent round Perth in the last few years and it's improving with lots more places to go.

I have a feeling I'm a fair bit older than you, we had just had our first and felt we were just treading water in the UK. We lived near Stockport and contemplated a move down South. Followed up on a couple of jobs but just couldn't afford the move. House prices in the South of the UK were about 3 times that for an equivalent place "up North" but the salaries not much more.

The wife and I had always loved being near the ocean and hot and sunny weather. Bit the bullet and never looked back. Been brilliant for us.

I can see why a younger person, who is looking to party might not like it. My eldest son never seemed to stop for a couple of years though. Always out somewhere but he grew up here and has loads of friends. Would be harder if you're a new arrival, have to make friends and break into new circles. He seems to have calmed down a lot now, still goes out plenty but has to get up for work early. Partying is mostly left to weekends now, or he goes off to Bali.

Great that your lad loves it, he will probably travel all around Oz as he gets old enough and have a great time.

As I have said it is a massive Country and you could spend your life exploring it.:cute: