plant drivers and HGV

Gary Pepper

I am an Australian recruiter currently visiting Ireland for the next nine days and then to the UK for two weeks, i have just recieved details from three clients in country qld area's looking for people on work visa's or perm residency who have experience in or with:-

• Driving backhoes / jcb's
  • HGV (larger the better !) especially water trucks
  • Skid steer - bobcats
  • Bulldozers
  • Graders
  • Excavators
  • Telehandlers

This will be shift work, 2 on 1 off, 7 days, 12 hr days. Salaries AUD $1500 / $2000 per week. Accomodation is available when on swing (not on shift). Country Queensland area's - Roma / Toowoomba.

I am an Australian recruiter currently visiting Ireland for the next nine days and then to the UK for two weeks, i have just recieved details from three clients in country qld area's looking for people on work visa's or perm residency who have experience in or with:-

• Driving backhoes / jcb's

• HGV (larger the better !) especially water trucks

• Skid steer - bobcats

• Bulldozers

• Graders

• Excavators

• Telehandlers

This will be shift work, 2 on 1 off, 7 days, 12 hr days. Salaries AUD $1500 / $2000 per week. Accomodation is available when on swing (not on shift). Country Queensland area's - Roma / Toowoomba.

hey gary ...are any of these companies willing to sponsor ......i know of at least 10 operators in the uk who are deperate to get over but its not on the skills list .....any info much appreciated :notworthy:

mrs keily

problem is that plant drivers and hgv are not on the skilled list, therefore difficult to sponsor. Possibly what they call and RMS ( regional migration sponsorship) ill check it out further. The working holiday visa is the quick way of getting out there but there some limitations in terms of age and how many times you have been out there on one before. Thanks for the follow up. feel free to pass on my details garyp@protech.com.au

hello gary!! i have a very experienced guy here who is desperate to come over next year! we know all about the fact that they arent on the skilled list but have been learning about EMA's and RSMS visas etc. hes 33 so unable to come on a whv since hes too old but sometimes older more experienced operators are better than younger ones that come over for the year? let me know if you find out that the companies can sponsor.

cheers!

Hi Gary, I'm arriving in Queensland Townsville on 1st November on my girlfriends 457 visa. I have recently gained my HGV class 2 licence although I have had no further experience since. Do u know if there would be any opportunities for me in this area when I arrive, having no experience? Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary,

My partner has many years experience operating numerous different machines. Hes also a team leader & has travelled abroad to train other operators in his company.

Unfortunately though, like many others, at 34 hes to old for a whv & plant ops are not on SOL.

If by any chance you have companies willing to offer sponsorship, we would be very interested.

Thanks

Hi Gary,

I'm next to jump on the bandwagon and say that my boyfriend holds a HGV class 2 license! With 4years experience. We arrive in Sydney on the 18th Oct but over xmas we are housesitting in Cairns, (we are on a WHV.) Are there any work opportunities in the Cairns area? Either way after we have finished our housesit we are pretty flexible on areas and willing to travel around so even if you want to take down our email or whatever please let us know of any work if he will be suitable would be great.

Thanks!

Hi Gary,

My partner has many years experience operating numerous different machines. Hes also a team leader & has travelled abroad to train other operators in his company.

Unfortunately though, like many others, at 34 hes to old for a whv & plant ops are not on SOL.

If by any chance you have companies willing to offer sponsorship, we would be very interested.

Thanks

hey mia ...have u actually spoke to an agent ....if ur o/h has trained others this maybe the route to go down .....worth a shot :wideeyed:

mrs keily

i thought i had found us sponsorship, there was a ad saying looking for operators and also mechanics and fitters, sponsorship offered to suitable applicants. but when mark rang for us they said they couldnt sponsor. maybe they should of made it clearer in the advert!!!!!!! while i was looking i also found sponsorship for pizza chefs and also one for a shop keeper in pilbarra, i dont understand how these can get sponsored but not machinery operators!!?

Hi keily,

We spoke to agent but i didn't mention tht he'd done training as he doesn't have any qualifications for it.

He basically loaded ship with plant here , then went to Norway to unload & set them up. Few yrs later he went to Spain & Middle East to train operators & generally help out as projects were running behind. It was all within his company & it was people hed worked with in the past that requested him to go over as he must b fairly gd at what he does! Lol.

Maybe i should look into the training side a bit more though?? Thanks :idea:

Hi keily,

We spoke to agent but i didn't mention tht he'd done training as he doesn't have any qualifications for it.

He basically loaded ship with plant here , then went to Norway to unload & set them up. Few yrs later he went to Spain & Middle East to train operators & generally help out as projects were running behind. It was all within his company & it was people hed worked with in the past that requested him to go over as he must b fairly gd at what he does! Lol.

Maybe i should look into the training side a bit more though?? Thanks :idea:

would you not be able to apply as a foreman even if he doesnt have the qualification, he sounds like he has plenty experience and ive saw a few sponsored foreman jobs.

btw try a company called OBI recruitment, it says they have one of the few labour agreements in oz but im not 100% sure if that includes operaters, tho they do have operator jobs on the website. no harm in trying, i contacted them too so if i hear anything ill let you know :wubclub:

Oh Stacey u gotta b kiddin!!! A shopkeeper?!? Thts wot i do! Lol they'll have evry1 an their dog applyin 4 tht!

i found it on gumtree last night, it was out in the outback n it said you had to think carefully before applying so maybe nobody wants to work there lol. i tried to find it again to copy and paste it but cant find it, ill keep looking. there seems to be sponsorship for loads of things, - hairdressers, beauticians etc but not many for machinery operators!! :mad: i honestly even saw one on gumtree for a pizza chef and a bar person, i assume that must mean the rsms visa covers pretty much anything as long as a australian doesnt want to work as it?? i really dont understand all this visa stuff at all! lol

Haha yeh, some of it all seems abit crazy Stacey!

We jus have to keep plugging away, we'll all get there eventually :yes:

Because he doesn't have any qualifications as a forman or trainer, we haven't really been lookin at those jobs. He has masses of experience & is very highly thought of in his company bt tht doesn't, unfortunatly, count for anything in terms of visa applications/sponsorships. Bt mayb we just need to broaden our search & push him a bit harder to apply for some of those other jobs. You gotra b in it to win it eh!!

Yeh, i'll try OBI, thanks.

Keep intouch & goodluck xxx

thats a shame, experience should come before any silly qualifications! you can have a qualification but still not be as good as someone with years of experience! yeah we'll all have to just keep trying, i know at least 4 of us on here thats trying! if i hear anything from mark or that company ill let you know x

Guest mcat5a

hello gary,i am heading to perth to visit my son there on the 12th of october.i am hoping to visit and get in contact with mining companies when there to see if i can get sponsorship.i am 44 in december and have over 20 years experience in ground works and quarrying as an excavator operator.in my opinion the fact that the holiday working visa cut off point being at the age of 30 is wrong.if they increased the age limit to 50 as they have done recently with some of the other visas i am sure they would find a lot more workers.typically any one over 30 is usually married,with children,a mortgage but most importantly,a wealth of experience and more willing to work harder.sorry if i sound a bit annoyed but i feel that because i am slightly older....that austrailia is gona make it real difficult for me to get there.

kind regards...mel...