The property rental system really stinks!

rikyuu

But Australia has a Tenancy Register - well they do in NSW anyway. Where, if you do something to p*** the agent off, they can mark you as a troublesome tenant and then you won't stand a chance of getting anywhere even if you paid your rent on time and left the place spotless. You would have to jump through hoops to get the negative information removed.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds fair!!!!!!!!! Its all stacked against tenants here in Victoria and the stuff the agents do would be illegal in the UK.....they dont check the gas heating, they put cookers just loose in the kitchen (ie the side of it gets burning hot and would be between units in the UK but here its there mainly to burn your children, they increase the rent when you are not looking, the invite a million other people to look at the house you want after you have booked an appointment on your own, they NEVER fix anything and they let their house go to ruin.

But Australia has a Tenancy Register - well they do in NSW anyway. Where, if you do something to p*** the agent off, they can mark you as a troublesome tenant and then you won't stand a chance of getting anywhere even if you paid your rent on time and left the place spotless. You would have to jump through hoops to get the negative information removed.

This exists but now by law the agent has to get your permission to keep the information on file, so obviously a no brainer that you say no, but just for the record it's illegal for the agent to put you on this record without your consent.

That sounds fair!!!!!!!!! Its all stacked against tenants here in Victoria and the stuff the agents do would be illegal in the UK.....they dont check the gas heating, they put cookers just loose in the kitchen (ie the side of it gets burning hot and would be between units in the UK but here its there mainly to burn your children, they increase the rent when you are not looking, the invite a million other people to look at the house you want after you have booked an appointment on your own, they NEVER fix anything and they let their house go to ruin.

The way you trash the idea of saving a lot of money by renting, anyone would think that you were a REA selling property!

Ha! Why do people have to be so unpleasant on here! Stevemalbec Im not "trashing the idea of saving alot of money" I asked you what you thought about the market, I would like to know why you think its gonna crash, you have not answered this, and like so many people on here you just get arsey. The internet chatroom coward, being rude behind the safety of their monitor.

Ha! Why do people have to be so unpleasant on here! Stevemalbec Im not "trashing the idea of saving alot of money" I asked you what you thought about the market, I would like to know why you think its gonna crash, you have not answered this, and like so many people on here you just get arsey. The internet chatroom coward, being rude behind the safety of their monitor.

Blobby, didn't realise I was being unpleasant! When you write such nonsense as " the invite a million other people to look at the house you want after you have booked an appointment on your own, they NEVER fix anything and they let their house go to ruin." it just provokes me to give the other side of the story. You really must have had some bad experiences to rant on like that. Really a million other people, NEVER fix anything.... As I said on an earlier post, I checked with friends and relatives, and those that had rented, had mostly very good experiences. And as for refusing to talk about the property market, I did get criticised from another forum member for only talking about it. I've posted numerous opinions and links to blogs, forums and media articles about the property market on this forum, I get a bit fed up of doing it. If people haven't got the message now or can't be bothered to do their own research instead of automatically assuming that buying is always best, so be it.

I've said several times before, (but not on this particular thread) that I do prefer to buy, and always have done, but in this particular market at this particular time, I'd say it would be better to wait.

Take some time to do some research and you'll see that the market has fallen in the past year, and I'd say there's a bit to go yet. I'll just get you started with this

http://australianpropertyforum.com/

Just a *** bit about the Melbourne Market for instance. Auction clearance rates were 70%+ 18-24 months ago, now they're down to about 45%. Not a good sign.

That's the kind of evidence I look at, not making spurious claims about 'millions' of people coming round, and landlords NEVER doing any repairs. Now I'm being mean and horrible again....

Here's a quick video. http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/watch/27399368 The only people with any optimism are the REAs... surprise surprise.

The internet chatroom coward, being rude behind the safety of their monitor.

Just noticed this...ha ha ha.. You're the one being arsey! And what precisely was rude about showing up your nonsensical obviously untrue statements? Can't you take it being shown up as a bit ignorant about the Australian property market? If you really want a rational discussion about it, check that forum above, and come back with a one, just one reason why you disagree. Or make up one of your own. Then we can take it from there.

Or, if you find that too difficult, let's use the one I used above. Do you think that a property market where the auction clearance rate has gone from 70% to 45% in less than 2 years is a strong one, or showing signs that a correction is on the cards?

Come on big boy, calling people cowards, let's have a real discussion!!

Guest The Pom Queen

I haven't read all the thread so I don't know who is right or wrong but I won't stand for personal comments being thrown around, you have been warned, anymore and we will look at providing official warnings.

Now please play nice.

anyway to get back to business, are there set standards that landlords have a adhere to with electrics and such like, is it mandatory or voluntary and how do you check if your agent or landlord is registered if there is such a body,

thanks Cal

anyway to get back to business, are there set standards that landlords have a adhere to with electrics and such like, is it mandatory or voluntary and how do you check if your agent or landlord is registered if there is such a body,

thanks Cal

If you are going to 'Sidney' (sic), then it's NSW rules that will affect you.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tenants_and_home_owners/Renting_a_home.html

I gave my tenant the statutory two month's notice to leave and they refused to go, claiming that they never got the notice, then I had to get involved with a hearing at the rental Tribunal, which took another two months before I could move back into my own home.

Hi Moving to Melbourne and thank you for your sensible advice that I have used on here many many times.

Anyway, back to Stevemelbac, thanks for the links, I notice you have not arrived in Australia yet. My posts related to a bad couple of weeks dealing with real estate agents and they are facts relating to our experience. My posts are generally pretty well balanced I hope but sometimes I find this site useful to vent when things start to go a bit wonky as they do sometimes! I have not been exaggerating, this is genuinely what has happened to us.

Renting over here is very different to the UK, and most people will probably find it helpful to hear of some of their underhand practices. Be prepared, it can be like the UK in the 1980s.

The thing is you cant have the laid back simpler way of life and not expect some other aspects to be old fashioned too. Good luck when you look for a rental and I hope you have a more straight forward experience than we did.

Anyway, back to Stevemelbac, thanks for the links, I notice you have not arrived in Australia yet. .......

Renting over here is very different to the UK, and most people will probably find it helpful to hear of some of their underhand practices. Be prepared, it can be like the UK in the 1980s.

The thing is you cant have the laid back simpler way of life and not expect some other aspects to be old fashioned too. Good luck when you look for a rental and I hope you have a more straight forward experience than we did.

No worries! I'm not there yet but am a bit obsessive about doing research. I know there can be problems (I think I acknowledged that) but I did ask around the many family and friends I have over there and I just thought that the case against renting was being a bit exaggerated.

Now a bit concerned as I know we have to have our carpets professionally steam cleaned. When I asked the leasing agency when we were looking round she said it cost about $600. We only have 2 rooms with carpets I assumed she had meant $60. She also said the tennants usually leave it to the agent to do this for them after they have left - well I scrubbed one of the marks, about the size of a tennis ball, on the carpet (a mark not mentioned on the condition report until I added it) the other day with a bit of water and the mark reduced - no steam cleaning done here then before we moved in!

This place was filthy when we first moved in - I sometimes wonder whether the last tenant knew that they would be charged and decided it wasn't worth trying and just decided to forgo getting the bond back.

Same thing with us. I phoned the agent and told her we wanted them steam cleaned, she did arrange it for next day. The worst was on day we moved in found lumps of excrement on the toilet seat was nearly sick phoned the agent and told them I wasn't going to clean it so they sent a cleaner round! Apparently it was the owner who lived there previously - yuck!!

No worries! I'm not there yet but am a bit obsessive about doing research. I know there can be problems (I think I acknowledged that) but I did ask around the many family and friends I have over there and I just thought that the case against renting was being a bit exaggerated.

Nothing wrong with renting as opposed to buying, provided that you invest elsewhere, super, shares, funds. Buying a property forces you to save. When I joined the public service in 1981 the super scheme was compulsory otherwise I'd not have wasted good beer money on joining it. 15 years later, when I was retrenched I reaped the benefit with a pension that has gone on for another 15 years.

I don't know what the property rental situation is like in Vic but in NSW there is a shortage of places to rent so that makes it nasty for would-be renters. There are laws in place though and I'm surprised it's not the same in Vic? I could not, however much I wanted to, chuck my recalitirant renters out of my place. I just had to lump it and continue to live in a hotel myself.

One thing I noticed around my own block is how groups of renters club together to live two or more to a room and reduce the rent to more manageable sums. I know this happens from the times when I hear the buzzers going off. You only get so many security keys to open the front doors. Also, I looked in a unit for sale the other day and counted five beds in a two bedroom flat - $450 a week makes for $90 per week each.

Enough of that - 6.45am and time to go down the pub and watch Spurs!

Righto. Donning mod flak jacket for another little mod moment.

Anyone with anything to say about moderators, forum moderation and anything connected with forum mods, this is not the thread for it. Last time I looked the subject line was something about stinky housing. I've tidied up the last page or two anyways.

If you wish to contact a mod or admin about the forum rules or any moderation, please do so via PM.

Bought to you by the letters B A C K T O T O P I C :cute:

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...