register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Andy Nicholls

Regional sponsorship visa

Guest Andy Nicholls

Hi everyone, my missus has just been offered a regional sponsorship visa. She's a midwife by profession, and was offered a hospital position in Bunbury, about 100 mile south of perth, just the area we were looking to go to! I'm 46 and an IT field service engineer, does not look as if I'll have any trouble getting work.

Does anybody know of any disadvantages of the sponsorship visa?

All seems a bit too good to be true! Or is it years of being in the UK making me cynical?!

And yes it is raining!!:smile:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Andy

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

You really need to read up about the RSMS visa for yourselves, I would suggest.

Please see the link below and make sure that you download and study Booklet 5 as well, I suggest:

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857)

The alternative route to PR in Oz via Employer Sponsorship would be the ENS visa, and you should compare the two:

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 121/856)

At a quick glance (and bearing in mind that I am NOT an expert on these visas) the striking difference seems to be that the RSMS visa ties the employee to the employer for 2 years but the ENS visa does not.

Obviously, the hozzy want to get your wife out to Oz quickly but as a midwife, she has an occupation which is more than slightly in demand all over Australia. If she is under 425 and you can get the right number of points together, a Skilled Independent subclass 175 visa could be an option instead. Please see here:

Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration

The best bet is to start by talking with a few Migration Agents in the UK, I would suggest. Good Agents are more than happy to spend 10 or 20 minutes for free, discovering the situation and outlining the options (plus the pros and cons of each oe when there are multiple options, which there might well nbe for you.) They do not charge for the initial chat because whilst you need some "Get you started" information, they have an equal need to showcase their wares in the hope of receiving Instructions from you.

Agents who are particularly and regularly recommended on here are:

Visa Bureau: Australian Visa: Australian Visa Bureau

Go Matilda: Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Visa, Tax and Financial Planning for Australia

Ian Harrop: Registered Australian Migration Agents, UK - Ian Harrop and Associates

Speak to all 3, I would suggest, and do not let the hozzy rush you into anything. They NEED your wife so she is in an immensely strong bargaining position here, I suspect.

Best wishes

Gill

Gill,

A quick note to say that visas granted under the RSMS do not tie the employee visaholder to the employer (unlike the temporary visas granted under subclass 457).

There are provisions in the RSMS legislation that provide for visa cancellation if the employee does not remain with the nominating employer for 2 years, but these are rarely if ever invoked - I have been on a fair few courses with other migration agents over the years and when the question of RSMS visa cancellations comes up no-one present has ever heard of the Department pursuing the matter.

Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534; Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

Chartered Accountant (UK, and Australia)

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com and acollett@bdhtax.com

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

Thank you for your input.

I have stressed to Andy that I am not an expert in this field and that I am only going on quick glances at the DIAC website.

However I DO think that his wife could be in such a strong bargaining position that I would not necessarily recommend accepting the first offer.......

Beyond that, as i have said, I think this couple should be discussing their situation with experts in this field.

Thank you again

Gill